Peterson Maxi Maxi MORC

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
No, that is not a typo.

Stumbled across a CL ad for a Dencho 33.  Ad says it is a Choate built Peterson 33 and from the few photos is definitely a MORC rather than IOR style boat.  Ad included an image of an old Socal PHRF cert listing the Mfg type as a Dencho 33 and the designer as Peterson/Choate. 

The yacht name on the cert is listed as "Calais", which matches the name of the boat in the photos.

Under Adhara 30 in Sailboatdata it mentions that one stretched 33 ft version also came from the same mold.  So the above info appears to ring true.

What I do find odd is that if it were a stretched Adhara 30, I would expect there to be more stern overhang than the photos seem to indicate, assuming the boat was stretched by extending the stern.  Unusual topside paintjob, or maybe poor WordArt editing.

Anyways, below is a photo of the boat.  

Anyone have any info on this boat they can share?

00O0O_b44O9GtVp3Xz_0eI0aA_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Nope. The Peterson Maxi Morc boat was 30 ft and looked nothing like that. It looks like this.

Adhara 30 Creeper.jpg

Jaded

I sailed on the boat for a few years when it was new. It came out of the same mold as the 30 with lots of modifications. Same rig dimensions. Quick upwind. Doesn’t do anything bad. Solid performance. Had an outboard when new. Owner installed a air cooled inboard with belt drive just before he sold the boat. The boat was a little asymmetric in the stern. 

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
I believe this boat raced out of Ventucky in the late '80's to mid '90's under the name of "James Earl"  I's been in King Harbor (Redondo Beach/Los Angeles) for quite a while.  I believe it was donated to the youth foundation several years ago.  It's in pretty rough shape.  

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I sailed on the boat for a few years when it was new. It came out of the same mold as the 30 with lots of modifications. Same rig dimensions. Quick upwind. Doesn’t do anything bad. Solid performance. Had an outboard when new. Owner installed a air cooled inboard with belt drive just before he sold the boat. The boat was a little asymmetric in the stern. 
Thanks for the info Jaded.

Wondering if you know anything about the alleged extension, which I assume was to the stern - rather than a midship chop and fill.

Was it a fair extension?  i.e. above the waterline.

In addition, the PHRF cert lists displacement as 6700 lbs, which is quite a bit more than  indicated for the standard one.  Sailboatdata lists the Adhara 30 at 4800 and the Pinnacle 29 at 5600.  Although who knows how accurate any of those numbers are.

One last question, what was the interior like?  A lot of MORC boats of that size like the Santana 30/30 GP and J/29 have minimal headroom.  The photos of this one look like it would have more headroom - but possibly just an illusion.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I believe this boat raced out of Ventucky in the late '80's to mid '90's under the name of "James Earl"  I's been in King Harbor (Redondo Beach/Los Angeles) for quite a while.  I believe it was donated to the youth foundation several years ago.  It's in pretty rough shape.  
Yeah, she looks to be in rough shape judging from the few photos.  Sure looks like it was a nice boat in it's day though.

@last

Anarchist
From the far distant past memory (always a sketchy proposition!) I think the owner (nice younger guy back then) was from the Midwest and purchased/raced the boat out in Cali after moving there.  I think if I remember correctly it was named after his dad.  

nota

Anarchist
aircooled and belt driven

any idea what motor ?

I have seen real cheap china aircooled diesels in the 8 to 12hp range on line

but never seen one in person or if they will work on a boat

Jaded

Extension was added to stern. Had a little bit of reverse rocker, about 3/4”. Owner had it faired in some but could always be better. Boat was weak off the wind. About same speed as a Olson 30. Interior was nothing special. Similar to other 30’ race boats like the J’s and Santana 30/30. Engine never worked to its potential. Belts always wearing out and extremely loud. Don’t remember the brand but was very light. Owner was super nice guy. Moved back to Michigan and worked for S2 doing industrial design work. 

StarWalker

I sure miss that boat. Shame to see what's happened to it. I bought it new from Steve Rock down in San Diego. It sat unfinished for years. And then Steve and Dennis Choate hatched a plan to get it ready to sell. It had some boat build issues that we rectified over time. But it was very fun to sail and we had our fair share of success. Yes the transom was extended which resulted in the need to be faired. Also needed some stiffening in the rear end and rudder bearings installed. The helm would freeze up under load until I made those improvements. She was a bit sluggish off the wind until we went with a penalty pole. that livened things up a ton.

The inboard installation was of my own design. Used a very lightweight 12hp gas motor from Subaru mated to a Yanmar transmission that I machined down for the application. I offset the motor and transmission to keep the CG down and the shaft angle shallow. Never got the drive belt working well as Jaded (is that you BD?) mentioned.  Ran out of time. Switched to a chain drive in the interim. Worked but was loud and messy. Was also working on water cooling the exhaust to keep it cooler as well as quiet it down. That was in process when I sold it. Gerry, the guy who bought it from me replaced it all with a Brown (?) system. Not sure how that worked out for him. It looks like the pic shows an outboard so I assume he gave up.

Lot of great memories and friends made on that boat.  

Jaded

I sure miss that boat. Shame to see what's happened to it. I bought it new from Steve Rock down in San Diego. It sat unfinished for years. And then Steve and Dennis Choate hatched a plan to get it ready to sell. It had some boat build issues that we rectified over time. But it was very fun to sail and we had our fair share of success. Yes the transom was extended which resulted in the need to be faired. Also needed some stiffening in the rear end and rudder bearings installed. The helm would freeze up under load until I made those improvements. She was a bit sluggish off the wind until we went with a penalty pole. that livened things up a ton.

The inboard installation was of my own design. Used a very lightweight 12hp gas motor from Subaru mated to a Yanmar transmission that I machined down for the application. I offset the motor and transmission to keep the CG down and the shaft angle shallow. Never got the drive belt working well as Jaded (is that you BD?) mentioned.  Ran out of time. Switched to a chain drive in the interim. Worked but was loud and messy. Was also working on water cooling the exhaust to keep it cooler as well as quiet it down. That was in process when I sold it. Gerry, the guy who bought it from me replaced it all with a Brown (?) system. Not sure how that worked out for him. It looks like the pic shows an outboard so I assume he gave up.

Lot of great memories and friends made on that boat.  
I’m DK. Hope you and the family are doing good. Miss sailing with you on the 33. Good times 

Last edited by a moderator:

StarWalker

I’m DK. Hope you and the family are doing good. Miss sailing with you on the 33. Good times 
Hey DK! Good wow! cool to see you here. I don't log on often but just happened to see this post. Family's well. Hope the same for you. Sure miss sailing with you guys too