Peterson Maxi Maxi MORC

G

How about contacting the owner (us) and talking about the boat, instead of posting rumors?  It is in fine shape, and ready to sail with carbon reinforced main and 155% jib, two asymmetricals and Dacron cruising sails.  I cannot say whether it was extended or not, if it was the fiberglass work was excellent, because you cannot tell below decks.  We just did a significant amount of improvements.

JeffC55

CA
I sure miss that boat. Shame to see what's happened to it. I bought it new from Steve Rock down in San Diego. It sat unfinished for years. And then Steve and Dennis Choate hatched a plan to get it ready to sell. It had some boat build issues that we rectified over time. But it was very fun to sail and we had our fair share of success. Yes the transom was extended which resulted in the need to be faired. Also needed some stiffening in the rear end and rudder bearings installed. The helm would freeze up under load until I made those improvements. She was a bit sluggish off the wind until we went with a penalty pole. that livened things up a ton.

The inboard installation was of my own design. Used a very lightweight 12hp gas motor from Subaru mated to a Yanmar transmission that I machined down for the application. I offset the motor and transmission to keep the CG down and the shaft angle shallow. Never got the drive belt working well as Jaded (is that you BD?) mentioned.  Ran out of time. Switched to a chain drive in the interim. Worked but was loud and messy. Was also working on water cooling the exhaust to keep it cooler as well as quiet it down. That was in process when I sold it. Gerry, the guy who bought it from me replaced it all with a Brown (?) system. Not sure how that worked out for him. It looks like the pic shows an outboard so I assume he gave up.

Lot of great memories and friends made on that boat.  
What makes the boat look rough is the owner who donated it to our program used vinyl for the yellow and red hull stripes. The vinyl is sun aged and needs to be removed/replaced. If we were going to keep her, we would probably strip the decorations from the hull.

She is a beautifully balance boat and fast. Very little helm pressure in all wind conditions. Fun to sail.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
She was a bit sluggish off the wind until we went with a penalty pole.
I'm just guessing this isn't the same pole..

00n0n_gnbwPBipJlLz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/d/hermosa-beach-dencho-33/7418942576.html

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
According to this ad, the PHRF buoy rating was 72. Around here, that's a J-35. Is this boat as fast as a J-35?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
According to this ad, the PHRF buoy rating was 72. Around here, that's a J-35. Is this boat as fast as a J-35?
Well, the Davidson 30 Star Dancer had a PHRF of 74 post MORC mods (rig bumped a couple of feet IIRC). Photo below.  Very nice looking boat.

So I can see how a modded Peterson MORC - Maxi could be assigned a PHRF of 72.  I don't know if it is as fast as a J/35, but the former owner told me he won a fair amount of hardware with the boat.

davidson30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
Well, the Davidson 30 Star Dancer had a PHRF of 74 post MORC mods (rig bumped a couple of feet IIRC). Photo below.  Very nice looking boat.

So I can see how a modded Peterson MORC - Maxi could be assigned a PHRF of 72.  I don't know if it is as fast as a J/35, but the former owner told me he won a fair amount of hardware with the boat.

View attachment 481449
Very nice.

I have a friend looking for just such a boat. The deal breaker will be that he has to race heads up with a well sailed J-35 and a not so well sailed Schock 35. I'll recommend that he at least look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Very nice.

I have a friend looking for just such a boat. The deal breaker will be that he has to race heads up with a well sailed J-35 and a not so well sailed Schock 35. I'll recommend that he at least look into it.
In many ways, it comes down to what is his racing style or approach.  After years of racing on a friends FT 7.5 in a PHRF fleet of 30-35 footers, I can say it can be done.  While you are always “out-waterlined” and you have to keep a clear lane, you are also more maneuverable and will accelerate back to speed quicker.  So if you are aggressive on the starts, and can keep your air clean and sail your race, you can do great.  If you get buried on a start, and force to tack to clear your air, and then are out of phase, it can be a long painful day.

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
In many ways, it comes down to what is his racing style or approach.  After years of racing on a friends FT 7.5 in a PHRF fleet of 30-35 footers, I can say it can be done.  While you are always “out-waterlined” and you have to keep a clear lane, you are also more maneuverable and will accelerate back to speed quicker.  So if you are aggressive on the starts, and can keep your air clean and sail your race, you can do great.  If you get buried on a start, and force to tack to clear your air, and then are out of phase, it can be a long painful day.
Well, that's sailboat racing in a nutshell isn't it?

I'm just concerned that at that rating, the bigger boats will kill it upwind. Since they'll be essentially racing level, it makes it a tough sell.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Well, that's sailboat racing in a nutshell isn't it?

I'm just concerned that at that rating, the bigger boats will kill it upwind. Since they'll be essentially racing level, it makes it a tough sell.
I think you'll find the opposite.  You just don't want 12-16.  Upwind, you'll find a window where you will be scary fast.  Downwind will be the Achilles heel, MORC boats were designed to go deep but max out pretty quickly in any breeze.  Like crash said, a 2nd row start can't happen.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
It’s going out for a sail in King Harbor, right now!  
Nice.  

I half thought of making an offer last summer but the transport costs to PNW, spartan interior, and lower than expected headroom weighed too heavily on the negative side of the ledger for me. 

The topside graphics didn't do the boat any favours either, although the entire exterior looked like it needed refreshing anyway. so not really a factor in the end.

Now if I lived in Socal it may have been a different story.

Good luck with the boat.

Gilles C

Just want to introduce myself; I am Gilles, new owner of (and already in love with) Calais. For the people on this chat who sailed it before, let me know if you want to take her out with me someday, for old times sake. It may take a little bit of time as I am not always in the area and am fixing a few things (bottom painting as we speak).

Cheers!