Phaedin' Fast

MR.CLEAN

Not here
phaedin’ fast

Our Antigua Sailing Week aboard the Gunboat 66 Phaedo started with a shit ton of drama. A lost-on-the-plane iPhone and lost-in-a-cab camcorder didn’t help us get used to our new surroundings for 8 days of Caribbean dream racing, but with the help of a cabbie named Bush Doctor (no shit) and some luck, we found all our gear in time for a typically gorgeous day of Gunboat-class racing on Day 1 of the final big event in the tradewind season.

We’ve been following the sort-of black sheep, sort-of ultimate class racing Gunboat action for a few years now, but we’ve never really gotten the inside view of the only super-luxury catamaran racing fleet on Earth – until now. Mer and I came down to bring you exactly that view, and we guarantee you’ve not seen it before. Today’s action was a bit lighter than the fat cats dig, with 12-15 knots from the East. Not enough to light ‘em up, but plenty for some fun boat racing, with a half-dozen lead changes after Peter Johnstone (on Tribe) port-tacked the rest of the four-boat fleet at the start. PJ’s kite split in half at the top mark, and Phaedo had a spirited dual the rest of the race with the Cuban/Puerto Rican dinghy rock stars on Cucu Belle, which pipped us at the finish after a brilliant final run.

You can check in to the thread each day for the latest news from our Gunboat excursion, go to Gunboat’s Facebook page for daily onboard images, and catch up with Richard Langford’s sexy video work of the racing, but we’re also bringing you a special ‘reality show’ treat as well – a nightly show we’ll be streaming you live from the Seabreeze Café in Falmouth Harbour. We’ll take you through the racing with onboard video we record throughout the day, we’ll answer questions you chat to us, and we’ll see what personalities we can grab to jump on the microphone and tell us their stories of the day. There should be plenty to talk about, and with Ralfie and Ryan Breymaier and the Genuine Risk boys to supplement the speaking talent, we highly recommend checking in! Watch on the On-The-Water page, or go to our Justin.TV page to sign into the live chat room. We’ll try to go live by 7 PM EDT every night, but if we’re a bit late, just keep the faith and we won’t disappoint. You can check out the official Press Release here, results here, and check out Sailing Week’s channel with the always-jolly Louay Habib here.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Nighttime from our balcony from Meredith Block

ANTIGUA SKYLINE AT NIGHT.jpg

johnminnee

What a lot of shit with these adds. Have you noticed that it gives you the length of ad left and it sits on 1 s for about 5 to 7 secs. Then the next one is for 30s, and so I cut it short, thought it would be about a minute or so. If you have to put these ads on, be honest, and don't try and screw us. From now on I can't be buggered waiting cos I have no faith in the timing

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Fair enough. mine loads one 30 second ad and then it's done. Live from the deck of the Seabreeze Cafe from 730, check it out at www.sailinganarchy.com/otwa

spike

Anarchist
The pics of the keelboats thrown in, with everyone sitting on the rail, puts the whole Gunboat experience in perspective....

Tranquilo

Anarchist
Aruba
Nice pics, look out for my ride D-Trip (Euro-products) in class 3. Managed to get a nice shot of Cucu Belle in the air.

P4260066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Great to have met you, Tranquilo. What an awesome week of sailing and partying. Full report tonight's front page.

Here's the SCOTW.

Tranquilo

Anarchist
Aruba
Good times Clean, awesome windy days for our boat. Finished in 2nd place in class 3 despite a RET due to a broken rudder cable. Those guys on the Club Swan 42 "Arethusa" are tough but we had them and they know it.

asw11-2455.jpg