PHRF rating?

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
I was wondering how one goes about finding what your boats PHRF rating is? I don't even know what it stands for?

I would like to put my boat back in San Diego within a year or so and thought it would be fun to enter a non-spin cruising class race.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Last edited by a moderator:

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
I guess at 197 non-spin. My boat is considered slow? (sniff, sniff) :lol:

Technically I could still win a race on corrected time. That would be cool!

tin man

Super Anarchist
One of the good things about phrf racing is that you will always find a boat similar in speed to race whether its a poor sailed faster boat or a well sailed slower boat. Don't get hung up on pickle dishes, they're way over rated and just collect dust. Have fun

ss

FastrSailr

Super Anarchist
Detroit
You guys got it all wrong. Here's you go and get a PHRF rating.

1) Show up at your local PHRF Board meeting. The more irreverent, disrespectful, and assholish the better. Consult alcohol for tips on this.

2) Bitch and whine about how slow your boat is, and that you're new to racing, perhaps even put together a PowerPoint on how slow your boat is.

3)After you clean up in a couple races, one of your competitors will protest your rating. When this happens repeat steps 1 and 2.

or,

1) Call/ email your local PHRF Board. Let them know you'd like a rating for the one or two races/ year you want to do.

2) Accept rating the local guy gives you, because he's probably pretty accurate

3) If you enjoy the racing and want to get more competitive, wait a few years and collect some data, then revert back to my first plan.

jimbot

Super Anarchist
I was wondering how one goes about finding what your boats PHRF rating is? I don't even know what it stands for?
I would like to put my boat back in San Diego within a year or so and thought it would be fun to enter a non-spin cruising class race.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?
Navy Yacht Club San Diego has Wenesday beer cans for non-flying sails Catalina 27s, Columbia 26s etc. in the south end during the summer. They would consider you a fast boat. :lol:

C Koch

Super Anarchist
Maine
That's not too far from our Pearson 30, which rates 192 non-spin. We've cruised with a friend with a sistership to yours, and the boats were reasonably comparable on a fun little jaunt across Penobscot Bay in a brisk breeze.

Ronnie

biggrin.gif

--ron

mtman

US of A

In class 6b (non-spin 177 and above) your rating would be one of the faster boats. How fast the boats go is not as important as how equal the competition is. Little league can be as exciting as the World Series if you don’t know who the winner will be until game is over.

Some of the races don't even require that you have a PHRF rating if the RC can find examples of like boats that have ratings. If you know that you really want to race get the certificate. If you are not sure how into it you will be find some races that don't require one and try a few. Beer cans are over for the year but will start again in May and are a good way to get your feet wet in racing because they are usually laid back and designed more as training races, but most of the racers in class 6b are mostly econo-boats and if you make a mistake they will forgive and forget if you apologize.

This is from the beer can sailing instructions

14. PROTESTS

14.1. A Skipper with a valid protest MAY try to sway the Race (Protest) Committee (cheese may be available to go with the whines after each race) but

the decisions of the committee will be final as provided in rule 70.4

If you like the racing thing you can work your way up to faster boats or upgrade your ride with better sails or other mods.

07dolan3_4_030.jpg

non-spins rounding the leeward mark in south bay

Last edited by a moderator:

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
Thanks for the info.

I may take some heat for this, but here goes: I applied for membership to the Arizona Yacht Club! :lol:

They have C-14s', Lasers, Sunfishes and a few other boats. They have races on Tempe Town Lake. I figured that would be a good way to learn the racing rules before I get back to Diego.

A friend of mine said he'd go in halfsies on a C-14 after he sells his S2-7.3

Should be fun!

jimbot

Super Anarchist
In class 6b (non-spin 177 and above) your rating would be one of the faster boats. How fast the boats go is not as important as how equal the competition is. Little league can be as exciting as the World Series if you don’t know who the winner will be until game is over.
Some of the races don't even require that you have a PHRF rating if the RC can find examples of like boats that have ratings. If you know that you really want to race get the certificate. If you are not sure how into it you will be find some races that don't require one and try a few. Beer cans are over for the year but will start again in May and are a good way to get your feet wet in racing because they are usually laid back and designed more as training races, but most of the racers in class 6b are mostly econo-boats and if you make a mistake they will forgive and forget if you apologize.

This is from the beer can sailing instructions

14. PROTESTS

14.1. A Skipper with a valid protest MAY try to sway the Race (Protest) Committee (cheese may be available to go with the whines after each race) but

the decisions of the committee will be final as provided in rule 70.4

If you like the racing thing you can work your way up to faster boats or upgrade your ride with better sails or other mods.

View attachment 54576

non-spins rounding the leeward mark in south bay
You got any other pics? I think that 56306 is my brother's boat. That fuzzy blockhead sort of looks like him when I enlarge the photo. :lol: