Pickup tires?

TPG

Super Anarchist
Had had BFG Rugged Trails, lots of traction (not so quiet).

Currently Bridgestone Dueler A/T's (quiet)

Thinking about Goodyear Duratracs, thoughts?

Not really concerned about longevity, I'll probably put 10,000 on them in the next year, but looking for a solid all season A/T tire.

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
Hankook & Toyo have some nice tires out on the market lately. But whatever you do, do NOT buy them from 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse. Especially their Pro Comp brand.

Just don't.....

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
...I'm happy with General 'Grabbers'...LT,,M/S,,,,some are full winter rated,depending on size.

......a good balance between budget and performance,,,and surprisingly quiet.

......the addition of an LT tire to light vans is a real boost in cornering power! ;)

...just got a 2nd set......the first set lasted me ~a month,,until the van was swiped in TJ

...of course now that I've mentioned them,,I'll be seeing 'TireRack' ads all over the place again <_<

austin1972

Super Anarchist
What kind of vehicle? Nitto Terra Grapplers have been good. They don't last too long though. Maybe 25K.

austin1972

Super Anarchist
2011 Silverado crew

Just picked it up.
1/2 ton or HD? Big difference between regular tires and E-rated.

Nice truck either way. Nice and stiff frames, quiet and comfortable.

Too bad the windshield is low for me, making it so I can't see stop lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

TPG

Super Anarchist
2011 Silverado crew

Just picked it up.
1/2 ton or HD? Big difference between regular tires and E-rated.

Nice truck either way. Nice and stiff frames, quiet and comfortable.

Too bad the windshield is low for me, making it so I can't see stop lights.
half ton (1500) LT/Z71/Allstar (18" wheels)

AFM is taking time to get used to. Found the display mode that shows me mpg and whether its v8 or v4.

Next truck will be a 3500HD crew (non-dually). Figure that timing will be about right when I need to pull 10,000.

What surprised me is the GMT900 1/2 ton is as big as the 800 3/4 ton.

austin1972

Super Anarchist
Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in size. There is a shit ton of difference in the 3500. Look at weight alone. Lots more in the 3500.

I know they don't look much different but they are.

A word of warning - if you don't need an HD then don't do it. Everything is drastically more expensive.

Brakes. Tires. Oil changes. You're paying for much higher duty cycle parts. It's a whole different ballgame. Plan on at least double costs for everything and the weight and ability gains will ensure you wear through them just as fast. Nobody won a cost of ownership award with a HD pick-em-up.

A new Chevy 1500 can tow 12K. A 3500 can tow 23K. Do you need that? Based on your statement that you'll be towing 10K, I'd say no.

But if you want one, have at it. It's a lot of vehicle though.

Timo42

Super Anarchist
Look closely at the specs on the 2500hd, not much difference there from the 3500 if you are hauling 10,000bs, the big question is gas or diesel, if the primary use isn't hauling, I'd stick with gas until the diesel emissions systems work a bit better. They work fine loaded, but if you run around empty on short trips they don't work as well

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
You got your van jacked in TJ? Story, please?..... :lol:
...had an 80's 4x4 toyota van,,,thankfully I had my Baja blast before visiting an i550 builder in playa-TJ,,,,I was a good guest,,and accepted the good host's invitation to sleep in the house.....within 2 hours the van all my toys,,kiteboard stuff,,kayak,,,, 'border bootie',,even a full tank of fuel was gone.

....it's probably good I wasn't sleeping in the van--they must have done a quiet hook-up,,pullaway rather than bothering with the steering lock.

..I can only hope that some outlaying baja fisher family got it in the end :mellow:

TPG

Super Anarchist
Look closely at the specs on the 2500hd, not much difference there from the 3500 if you are hauling 10,000bs, the big question is gas or diesel, if the primary use isn't hauling, I'd stick with gas until the diesel emissions systems work a bit better. They work fine loaded, but if you run around empty on short trips they don't work as well
I'll probably never go diesel given that my avg haul distance is a mile. Next longest is 30 miles each way. And I work from home. :lol:

austin: i know the costs on em, we're a family of chevy pickups. my dad drives a GMT800 2500HD. I'm sure he'll one up me and get a '15 now.

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Put the duratracs on my S-10 ZR2 last year as a replacement for the stock BFG all terrain TO's. They look meatier, but I was surprised when they seemed to ride quieter and smoother. Truck is almost always used around town and highway, but occasionally in conditions where I really want the traction. MPG seems to be about the same between the two.

So far I've only tried them out in snow and some muddy dirt roads, but they seem to be just as good as the BFG's they replaced. Goodyear was running a sale at the time that pretty much paid for one of the tires and I was running on the spare.

Had had BFG Rugged Trails, lots of traction (not so quiet).

Currently Bridgestone Dueler A/T's (quiet)

Thinking about Goodyear Duratracs, thoughts?

Not really concerned about longevity, I'll probably put 10,000 on them in the next year, but looking for a solid all season A/T tire.

jetboy

Super Anarchist
Goodyear Wrangler silent armor are a very good compromise all season tire if you don't go offroad much, but do occasionally. Also quiet and low rolling resistance on the highway. I run all over moab with them on my 4runner and they've been durable on the slick rock that can be accessed with a mostly stock 4runner.

I recognize that they aren't a true "offroad" type tire (I have 40" swamper TSLs on my landcruiser buggy), but I also don't really need a mud tire on my daily driver... I'd buy the wranglers again for a daily driver.