Pics of the week

zedboy

Eastern Med
Just had to share these - two closely related (and little-known) paintings by Homer Winslow. One of them will be going on display in Washington D.C. apparently for the first time in many years.

breezing-up.jpg

The Flirt - Homer Winslow.jpg

Not sure why only Gloucester seems to have weather helm. Or where that boy riding the bow fell off to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Winslow Homer, as may be. ;) Another from the same bucket:

catboat.jpg

Homer was the 19th Century Bob Ross -- could probably turn out a "catboat: port quarter" watercolor in, like, four minutes. "Happy waves, happy waves." This is what happens when a surrealist gets hold of the recipe:

winslow-homer-sailing-catboat.jpg

Camoleopards, ahoy! Of course, as a Bostonian, Homer knew it wasn't all fun and games:

Winslow_Homer_005.jpg

I like this one:

Winslow_Homer_-_Gulf_Stream.jpg
Notice the ship passing under full sail in the background. Will they stop to help a Brother? Hell no, they will not. We need Clove Hitch to add a Rimas haiku, like: Mastt rouble, / sharks also waterspout / Oh well.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Just had to share these - two closely related (and little-known) paintings by Homer Winslow. One of them will be going on display in Washington D.C. apparently for the first time in many years.

attachicon.gif
breezing-up.jpg

attachicon.gif
The Flirt - Homer Winslow.jpg

Not sure why only Gloucester seems to have weather helm. Or where that boy riding the bow fell off to.
The top one is one of my favourite paintings. We had a copy on our lounge room wall when I was growing up.