pics: TF10, 2019 Vallejo Race

sail(plane)

Anarchist
I've looked for YouTube videos and there are almost no owner videos, only DNA promotionals , and nothing in the las 11 months. Strange. How many were built?

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
it seemed to flop.... i believe owners are unhappy... others here know more but it is not what was promised in the brochure 
Oh bummer! It's damn hard to pull off.

At that size, the forces are significant and the dynamics treacherous. And then high part costs when something breaks.

I wouldn't want to drive it without key folks having some moth or acat experience. The gentleman owner and his best friends, as pictured in the original brief don't typically have it. Then what? call pros, risk life, wallet and limb, it just sail it timidly.

It's a gorgeous boat, and I'd love to sail it. Don't get me wrong. But it's hard to picture a happy owner who doesn't already have a moth or an acat.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
I've looked for YouTube videos and there are almost no owner videos, only DNA promotionals , and nothing in the las 11 months. Strange. How many were built?
I know of 4 ... 3 on the east coast US and 1 for Australia but there may be more. 
I'm not sure the one down under is still here... 

eastern motors

Anarchist
I wouldn't want to drive it without key folks having some moth or acat experience. The gentleman owner and his best friends, as pictured in the original brief don't typically have it. Then what? call pros, risk life, wallet and limb, it just sail it timidly.
Some of those pros are posting in this thread!  It's a $600k racing boat, I doubt the owners expected anything else.

Wess

Super Anarchist
josh_bartoszuk1 said:
4 on east coast total, two in Bristol/Portsmouth, 1 in Newport, 1 never moved out of winter mode in FL... One in SF and one in Oz. Subtract one from Bristol/Portsmouth after snapping both starboard beams this fall..

View attachment 417327

View attachment 417328

View attachment 417329

just heard the West Coast boat has beams breaking as well (from a very reliable source)

josh_bartoszuk1 said:
I was sailing on the boat at the time. Just finished zipping around prudence island, sailing upwind in displacement mode back to the dock and suddenly just heard two gunshots, looked to leeward and the hull was basically folding under the tramp. Was a great day until then though hit 29.8 foiling upwind. 
Wow.  M&M design and DNA build if I recall correctly.  Would not have expected this from them.  Lawyers anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wess

Super Anarchist
What do you expect, 30 knots upwind and bulletproof? Go sue yourself.
Gentleman's foiler or folly?  Well Russell assuming the reports above are accurate, I don't expect 2 of 4 (or 5 I think) boats designed and built from folks with the pedigree of M&M and DNA to suffer the same catastrophic failure (of beams). With respect if you are OK with that remind me to never buy a boat you designed or built. :wacko:

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
Gentleman's foiler or folly?  Well Russell assuming the reports above are accurate, I don't expect 2 of 4 (or 5 I think) boats designed and built from folks with the pedigree of M&M and DNA to suffer the same catastrophic failure (of beams). With respect if you are OK with that remind me to never buy a boat you designed or built. :wacko:
No chance of me selling you a boat.

• Downvote
Reactions: LMI

fufkin

Super Anarchist
Kinda funny that you - or any designer/builder - would be OK with a ~ 50% failure rate but hey fine.  Learned something about you.  God I love this place. 
Failure rate to finish due to gear or personal injury over last 8 Vendee Globes is 53%. That’s a lot of great builders and designers to whine about...then again I guess they kind of accept the odds of pushing the boats as hard as they do and take their chances.

sail(plane)

Anarchist
Failure rate to finish due to gear or personal injury over last 8 Vendee Globes is 53%. That’s a lot of great builders and designers to whine about...then again I guess they kind of accept the odds of pushing the boats as hard as they do and take their chances.
the same goes with the big foiling trimarans, there are a lot of structural failures, but to make your point we would need to discount all the UFO hits, which are a lot. 

Then again, 30 kt upwind is kind of extreme, so maybe Russell has a point that this boat is at the cutting edge of things even for DNA+ M&M. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I've owned a few bleeding edge boats. Mostly Int 14s, but also a Multi-23

Every one of them broke in some fashion in the course of normal sailing on SF Bay. I never once blamed the designer or manufacturer, as, well, we beat the shit out of boats here. 

That, and @bhyde was with me or around me a couple times, so there's that.

sail(plane)

Anarchist
watching the few promotional videos, the foiling appears stable in pitch, but not in heel. The boat seems to constantly flop onto one float or the other WHILE STILL FOILING. Is this a consequence of inexperienced crew getting trained, or what?  you would think in a promotional video you would show your best moments