Pics That Get You...

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
DSC07142.jpg

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Rounding capes in small boats is sorta like bagging peaks. We launched Hobies at Ilwaco and landed on Long Beach. That landing still gets my juices going! Here’s Cape Disappointment, graveyard of the Pacific. There’re only a few days a year when the wind, tide, and surf make this non suicidal, so more exclusive than most mountains, I guess

8510C2A9-DDDA-45BA-9C6A-E3D7F69D32E8.jpeg

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
The beach was 2' max when we scouted at 10:00. By 3:00 the surfers were riding 4+ Ray went first and thought he was going over when he broached twice but Hobies are amazing and he landed it.

Ray: We should have been wearing helmets is all I can say. Broke a nylon aka bolt on port side and ama swinging wildly loose when we broached the last time. I think it broke when we smacked the hard sand bar. Maybe its collapse actually helped us not flip left over the ama, not sure. Felt like a wreck to me. Should have returned to Ilwaco and not tried to land at Long Beach. Next time.

After watching his ama rise overhead twice, I hung outside for 10 minutes timing waves, practicing backstrokes, and getting jacked. The beat was classic 7 or 9 waves on about 8 seconds. 3 to 5 bigs and about 30 seconds of flats in between. I chased after a fourth, backed off a steep 5 by jamming paddle straight down on port and leveraging it off the aka to stop a hard right broach and somehow came out of the white water pointed straight at the beach. Max peddle on the Mirage drive and kayak paddle to get through the impact zone Not fast enough and wave 6 spun me hard left, so jam full vertical paddle against the starboard aka and feather to stop the oversteer. Bounced an ama on the high tide bar and spun sideways in a foot of water. Got out of the boat before the next wave and pushed it ahead through 3 feet to dry sand.

1664041225196.jpeg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Sheesh! I’ve seen some nice boats listed for sale on the Portland area but then I think about making a delivery out the bar and down that coast and I think, “nah”.
Yeah - I'd definitely get a man in for a job like that.

Dunno if I'd even go along for the ride.

Better yet, get a trucker. Olympia is only 100 miles or so.

Latest posts