Pics That Get You...

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
The guy looks sort of wireish. I never got the opportunity to sail on a boat big enough to need wire sheets, thankfully. Did have some wire halyards on one boat, and that was bad enough!
Meat hooks were just an annoyance, a wire sheet whipping in the wind not so much.

That gets my mellow flowing, not my juices.
Here’s one of her going a bit faster
A571706E-DC2E-4FB5-B7C1-014A53223518.jpeg

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
I'm cheating a little. It's a short video, not a photo.
It's of our Bavaria 34 surfing down waves at Hamilton Island Race Week.
I might be biased towards skiffs, but there's something about a 6 tonne yacht surging forward on a wave that has it's own magic and the angle of this video lets me feel that surge every time I watch it.

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
I'm cheating a little. It's a short video, not a photo.
It's of our Bavaria 34 surfing down waves at Hamilton Island Race Week.
I might be biased towards skiffs, but there's something about a 6 tonne yacht surging forward on a wave that has it's own magic and the angle of this video lets me feel that surge every time I watch it.

Has a strangely 3D-feel to it.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
I'm definitely in that category, but Reliance is my favorite.

203ft from tip to tip. 1500 m2 sail area.

On the 3rd picture at speed around 20 knots, you can zoom in and see the crew like little ants.

No other ship was able to do such speed under sail in 1903.

View attachment 539144
View attachment 539145 View attachment 539154
Maybe not a 'ship' but its said that Amaryllis was doing those speeds a 1/4 century before... but what amazes me in these early photos, especially like those you posted of Reliance, is the set of the sails, with no synthetics in sails nor rigging... hardly a crease to bee seen.
1662446778656.png

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
SkandiaWildThing.jpg

Maximus with the keel to leeward? But the main is good with the port side runner on, or is starboard runner on too? If so what is going on with the jib? Skandia foredeck is pointing at madness? Canting keels seem like a warning for just how weird boat control can become.

1662484287288.jpeg

Always wondered if this worked out for the foredeck.

Latest posts