jdazey

Kingston, WA
Somewhere around 13N, 78W

Presto_fast-2000.jpg

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Who’s the muppet sleeping with inappropriate footwear in the pushpit
Fer gawd’s sake!!! PUSHPIT??? Are you fucking serious??
The metal railings shaped like a preacher’s pulpit are called pulpits.

HINT!!! The word is spelled with one singular all by itself letter “L.”

There can be bow pulpits, side pulpits, cabin top pulpits, gunner’s pulpits, crows nest pulpits.

But

There is no such thing as a pushpit

Or a gunnel

And a floor is a cross member under the sole

Pushpit… sheesh!

HILLY

HILLY
Lake Macquarie
Lots of dictionary and online references to pushpit, I've used that term since I was corrected to use it a lifetime ago. To avoid arguments, it should be named after its primary usage.. Pissing Handrail.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Fer gawd’s sake!!! PUSHPIT??? Are you fucking serious??
The metal railings shaped like a preacher’s pulpit are called pulpits.

HINT!!! The word is spelled with one singular all by itself letter “L.”

There can be bow pulpits, side pulpits, cabin top pulpits, gunner’s pulpits, crows nest pulpits.

But

There is no such thing as a pushpit

Or a gunnel

And a floor is a cross member under the sole

Pushpit… sheesh!
Mate we use English terms round here . And yes we call the sole the “sole” . Yeah there’s many places to preach from the pulpit on a boat but the one at the stern is a pushpit . Pissing rail is a good substitute though .

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Mate we use English terms round here . And yes we call the sole the “sole” . Yeah there’s many places to preach from the pulpit on a boat but the one at the stern is a pushpit . Pissing rail is a good substitute though .

Come on. Modern boats have "floors" and "walls". Then there is a "back porch" where we sit outside. Then there is the "roof" where we work on the sails. Gotta keep up with the times.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Lots of dictionary and online references to pushpit, I've used that term since I was corrected to use it a lifetime ago. To avoid arguments, it should be named after its primary usage.. Pissing Handrail.
How can you be “corrected” to use a foolish ignorant entirely asinine term?

I must surmise to call the thing at the bow a pull pit.

C8947097-5945-4DD8-A3E9-35B986D7025D.jpeg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
"Pushpit" was created and is used by the same people who call the main cabin of a sailboat the "Salon".

I.E. semi-literates with very limited historical knowledge.

It's only a matter of time until bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchens become their standard terminology for areas on boats.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
The word pulpit was the very irreverent word coined by Uffa Fox in Cowes, after he invented it in the 50s and fitted one on a 12-metre. Evaine, I think.

I once scandalized a very traditional elderly British sailor, racing offshore in a Swan 44. Yawning hugely, I said loudly that I was feeling a bit tired, and would go downstairs into the living room and have a nap on the sofa. His eyes nearly popped out.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
How can you be “corrected” to use a foolish ignorant entirely asinine term?

I must surmise to call the thing at the bow a pull pit.

View attachment 541793
Well we will have to agree to disagree . I accept that in your state/country it may be called several different things that’s great . Regional Nuances of Terminology is an interesting subject . What you call a boo-oy we call a boy , how do you pronounce buoyancy in Texas ? Boo-oyancy ?

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
"Pushpit" was created and is used by the same people who call the main cabin of a sailboat the "Salon".

It's only a matter of time until bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchens become their standard terminology for areas on boats.
I thought you were progressive 🙄

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand

It would be true that sailors in the mid 1800s were semi or illiterate when they coined the term pushpit . I doubt they called the main cabin the salon unless they were French , even then it’s a fairly modern term commonly used in Europe . All power to them if they want to call their main cabins salons in the med .