Pilothouse For Puget Sound, $40K Or Less

Dave J

Hi, this is my first post so hopefully it's in the right place.  While my sailing goal has been to work my way up to a Valiant 40, a wife, house, kids, their college and the dog have put a damper on that.  I've had various boats up to 30 ft and am ready to go pilothouse or at least something more comfortable.  I would still like some performance.  Boats I've considered are the Pearson 36 Pilothouse of the 365 line, Truant/Saturna, LM 30 and 32, Mariner 38, Tanzer 10.5 and Southerly 30 to 32.  I like the looks of the Gulf 32 and Fishers but don't think they would satisfy my sailing needs.  My philosophy is to get the smallest boat that meets my needs which seems to be around 30 to 34 ft with 6 ft headroom throughout, if possible.  A Gulf 27 or 29 is probably too small due to head room constraints.  Having decent forward visibility is sure a plus.   From other posts, larger boats may be necessary for that but those are not an option. The Pearson is near the top of the list.  Probably the top boat is the Valiant 40 pilothouse, or any Perry design, but too expensive for me.  So, any thoughts, specifically on the Pearson 36 pilothouse and Mariner 38, since both were for sale around here recently for under $40K?  Thoughts on the other boats I mentioned or any I haven't would be great, too.  I plan to daysail and also cruise the sound for a few days at a time with my wife, sometimes by myself, but would really like to get out of the weather at times.  If we can't find a pilothouse, other boats we like are the Nonsuch 26 and 30 and Freedom 30 for their simplicity, freestanding rigs, interior volume and performance.  I've had a Herreshoff America 18 and Marshall Sanderling 18 so could enjoy a larger catboat.   A dodger and cockpit cover could act as a pilothouse when needed. A daysailer like a Wayfarer 16 and a pilothouse with less performance if the price is right could work but having it all in one boat would be ideal.  I'm flexible...  Thanks in advance.

Good Old Boat Pearson 36.jpg

Yachtworld Mariner 38.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dave:

Some of the V-40 PH models were blister boats. I would keep my eye out for one. Possible you could find one in your price range. Great sailing boat. I preferred it to the regular model.

One of my ex boat partners bought a Cooper. He was a very fastidious CPA type of guy. He really likes it, Kept it for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Sceptre 36 - nice to look at, average at best sailing quality but no worse than most you've listed

Gulf 32 has a full keel underbody if I recall

Vancouver 32 (co-worker just bought one) - nicely executed but heavy. 

Dave J

Thanks for the info and suggestions.  There are a couple of Coopers for sale, one as low as $20K which I assume needs some work.  I was never sure if these were well made Canadian boats or related to the Bayliner US brand.  http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Cooper-Pilothouse--3106503/Port-hadlock/WA/United-States

I didn't think the Scepter 36 was built as a pilothouse.  I'll have to investigate.

I've read some info over the years about the blisters due to the fire retardant resin and have seen some with them.  I don't remember anything about the blisters being a safety issue that can lead to delamination or whatever osmosis blisters end up doing.  I haven't had much experience with them other than a few here and there.  Are the Valiant blisters mainly cosmetic and nothing to worry about from the cabin top to the keel?  Are they filled or hollow?  Just grind, fill and paint if desired or leave them alone and just enjoy a great boat?

This is probably one of the lowest prices out there, $25K in Texas for a V-40 pilothouse.  http://sailingtexas.com/201701/svaliant40102.html

I've also read that boats from hot, humid climates like Florida and Texas may have seen more than their share of sun and humidity damage?

Valiant 40PH Texas.jpg

Not to split hairs regarding pilot houses..... but 

Most small boats advertised as Pilothouse models are in fact raised salons and in very little way a functional pilot house.  My point would be to refine your list of wants.  Do you want to be out of the weather underway, do you want to be able to drive and sail the boat inside, are you looking for a specific asthetic.  I would argue under 45' it's very hard to make a pilot house boat with full functionality and not loose your salon etc below.  This is of course not considering puritanical herishofy layouts. This is why most are some combination of a pilot house with verying levels of functionality and a raised saloon.  A spindrift is huge below and a decent compromise, would make a nice PNW boat.  I think the gulfs are perfect for a couple in the PNW who use there boat heavily year round. The Babas are nice but with all of them finding a non pos for that money might be tough. Adding 10-20k to your top end will open your market a lot.  

Dave J

Good ideas.  I was just going to reply that an Islander 36 Freeport would be another nice one with a great interior layout. This pic has been a favorite of mine showing two side by side at the Poulsbo marina a few years ago.  I read Yacht Design According to Perry and enjoyed his background info on them.  With no inside steering, I could use an autopilot remote for steering but a throttle would be handier. 

Anything with some headroom and a way to see forward would work.  It may come to putting more $ in the pot after ruling out lesser boats or even going back to a good dodger.

I have a question for Bob Perry.  About 15 to 20 yrs ago I went aboard a fairly narrow sailboat you designed that was for sale at Shilshole.  It was about 36 to 39 ft, the forward end of the cabin cut in on both sides by about a foot with small forward facing windows on each cut in.  The dealer commented about it being able to motor fast and possibly be trailerable for cross country trips.  It was yellow from what I remember.  I sure liked it.  Do you have any background info on it?

Islander 36 Freeports Poulsbo.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dave:

You went aboard KIYI a custom 36' trailerable bat I designed for Dick Philbrick., bright yellow. I have been seeing it anchored up at Anacortes lately. Great boat.

KIYI and he Freeport 36 are very good sailing boats, the Freeport will surprise you, but I don't consider either true motor sailers because they don't have inside steering. The V040PH does.

KIYI by robert perry, on Flickr

V 40 PH docker by robert perry, on Flickr

Freeeport 37 spin shot by robert perry, on Flickr

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Since you mentioned the Nonsuch 26, I though a couple pictures of friend's boat would be in order. I'm not showing this as a suggestion. Just as a curiosity.

(Well, actually, one picture due to the silly upload restriction. I'll post a picture showing the structure of his semi-permanent house when I'm allowed of the Group W bench.)  

He has pretty much pilot-housed his boat.

Nonsuch 26 1s.jpg

Dave J

Yes, Bob, that's the boat.  I'll check out your blog.  There's just something about a Valiant.  Thanks.

Thanks for the Nonsuch info.  The Nonsuch is actually my wife's top pick and are in the price range.  A lot is being done these days with dodgers, cockpit covers and enclosures isn't it.

Dave J

I've noticed the Skookum, too.  It does look like a nice one but I think the performance would let me down like you say.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I was under the impression that Skookum built boats that would resist direct strikes by North Korean  ICBM's.  Fast? Hmm, maybe not so much, but beefsteak, for sure.  This is just me recalling years-old hearsay, though. I don't see the hogging,  the sheer looks OK to me, but that IS just one picture and you have a better eye for that stuff than I do, Bob.

The interior is nice, that boat is also on Yachtworld.  Personally, I like tillers and semi-balanced, detached rudders...though a big ole skeg don't bother me none.