Pilothouse For Puget Sound, $40K Or Less

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Veegs:

I'd go with "Utilitarian" rather than ugly. "Utilitarian" is one step better than "agricultural". It's not so bad but it for sure is not a motor sailer.

Blowing like stink here tonight. Gusts to 50 mph earlier. My Honda gen set, Toshiro Mifune, is in the on deck circle. Just in case.

Enjoying our new puppy.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Veegs:

I'd go with "Utilitarian" rather than ugly. "Utilitarian" is one step better than "agricultural". It's not so bad but it for sure is not a motor sailer.

Blowing like stink here tonight. Gusts to 50 mph earlier. My Honda gen set, Toshiro Mifune, is in the on deck circle. Just in case.

Enjoying our new puppy.
New puppy? Getting ready for Chinese New Year? What flavour breed is it?

Simon75

Germany
i found the tolerance for "utilitarian" setups increases with the need for the shelter they provide.

or in other words: it's fucking october mate, let's talk about a better looking setup in march..

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
i found the tolerance for "utilitarian" setups increases with the need for the shelter they provide.

or in other words: it's fucking october mate, let's talk about a better looking setup in march..
The Nonsuch is sailed in WLIS, mostly in summer. I'm  not sure why the owner wants so much protection from the elements.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Here is the second picture of the Nonsuch 26. You can see the SS supports and hard top of the "pilothouse."

View attachment 247359
I'm sorry, but that's both ugly and agricultural. Does the hard top really need to extend all the way forward to the end of the sliding hatch? Would it have killed him to cut a foot off the leading edge and cant the vertical supports back a bit? That and a little bit more coin for Makrolon instead of vinyl would've gone a long way...

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'm with Simon on this one. The hard top has to do its job. How does it look when you are sitting under it?

For me, the fact that with a screw driver you can remove the entire structure in half an hour means that is carries very little aesthetic weight.

You don't like it? Take it off!

Ish:

We got another Portuguese Water Dog ("Porty"). This one is pearl and she is Ruby's niece. She's a pistol and very self confident. Ruby seems to be adjusting, slowly. Note the very carefully arranged photo background. Boomer will kill me! Pumpkin , our cat, touched noses with the pup yesterday and now they are buds. I'll go to the boatyard today so Ruby knows our schedule has not been disrupted by the pup.

013 by robert perry, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave J

Nice little fella.  When we get a boat, I'll have to introduce our young dog to sailing.  I assume she'll just stay in the cockpit?  So far on paddle boards and rowing she's discovered she can swim with the seals anytime she wants.  Thank goodness for the handle on her life preserver.  Any suggestions?

I've been researching the Cooper 353.  Looks like they all have Saildrives.  Would you shy away from one due to the possibility of corrosion, the need to change zincs every 6 to 12 months and the hull gasket every 5 to 7 years at a cost of about $2K or more since the engine has to come out, from what I've read?  The 2nd and 3rd pics show the extreme where the Saildrive hadn't been touched in 4 years.  I assume it had to be replaced at a cost of about $5K for the unit plus labor.  Thanks to a GoPro and flashlight on a pole we could see it was solid muscles!

Steering.jpg

Saildrive 3 - Copy.jpg

Saildrive 2.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
A bit bigger and maybe a bit more dough but one hell of a motor sailer, the Cheoy Lee 43 Long Range MS. Designed by my good friend bob perry. This one is in Europe and getting ready for a family circumnavigation. A bit too much crap on de back for me but I suppose it's practical if not beautiful. The lovely contours to the cabin trunk were crafted by my helper at the time Gary Grant. There is a lot of subtle complexity going on there. These boats will surprise you with their performance. Many years ago I went to the SFYC Stagg Cruise on a CL 43 MS. In the crew were designers Dave Pedrick and Frank MacClear. They were puzzled by how the boat could motor so fast. The only boat that passed us as we steamed up the Delta was a SC 50. I sent them the hull lines when I got home. It's a chunk of a boat with huge tanks. I think I started the design with the tank layout then wrapped a hull around it.

CL 43 MS at dock by robert perry, on Flickr

CL 43 MS 2 by robert perry, on Flickr

Dave J

That is quite the boat.  Speaking of great boats, about 34 yrs ago four our honeymoon, we charted a Panda 40, Decatur, for 10 days out of Anacortes.  I was in full keel mode so wanted to give one a try.  Loved the boat and its sailing manners but haven't seen it since.  Any idea where it is?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dave:

No, not sure where it is. I do remember the boat. A taiwanese owner just bought TOUCAN, a local boat, and sailed it back to Taiwan. He has nothing but praise for the boat after a demanding, heavy air passage. They are fabulous boats,,,,until you want to back up. Bow thruster recommended.  The PH version is one of my best designs. Great layout.

There are PH Tayana 37's around. A PH Baba 35 would suit you just fine as would a Tashiba 36 PH but they are hard to find.

Brigadoon 2 by robert perry, on Flickr

Tricky Pig and I raced with Donn and Keri in the Race Your House race. We finished second boat for boat in our class, beating a lot of bigger more modern designs. We kicked ass.

Brigadoon race 1 by robert perry, on Flickr

Baba 40 ph by robert perry, on Flickr

Dave J

That boat could last me the rest of my life.  At the UW many years ago one of my profs had a CT37 pilothouse, one of the few I'd seen.  He also had nothing but good things to say about it.  But, the Panda line really appealed to me.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dave;

Baba, Panda, Tashiba, all the same boat and a better quality build than the Tayana. But you pay a premium for them and they are rare. I think you could find a Tayana 37 PH if you looked at a reasonable price.

Ty 37 ph by robert perry, on Flickr

Je Prefere

Anarchist
pnw
there was a pilot house version of a CT 41 ketch in Kirkland many years ago (early 80's anyway).  Dragon, maybe it was called.  Is that a version of one of your designs Bob ?  not well built, but lots of pretty teak inside.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Je:

Nope, not mine. Hard to say who designed the CT 41 with all its iterations. Bill Garden was sure it was Bill Hardin's son. So with the Garden/Hardin similarity it was very common to see Bill Garden listed as the designer of the CT41 and all its cousins.

Not too well built and by now I would suspect a bit of rot may have set in throughout the deck structure.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
There was a Tayana 37 pilothouse that used to fart around in the Case Inlet a few years ago. My in-laws had a house on a little island there and I'd see it now and then. I remember rowing up to it when it was anchored off Harstene Island once and really admiring it.

On the subject of pilothouses that don't work.... I'm a big fan of the Pacific Seacraft 31.  However, slapping a house on top of that boat and calling it a 32 does NOT work, IMHO.

1994-Pacific-Seacraft-32-Pilothouse_31055_2.jpg

As an aside, Rawson 32 pilothouses are awfully popular in the PNW. I've only seen one, ever down here and it did look like a stout, comfy boat, but...slo-o-o-ow?