Pilothouse For Puget Sound, $40K Or Less

IStream

Super Anarchist
My buddy has a 42 and I've come to the conclusion that it's a great PNW boat. As a motorsailor, its got plenty of power for those no-wind PNW summers while its modest SA/D is just fine in the windier shoulder seasons. She's snug as a bug in the winter. They hold their value well, for better (resale) or worse (initial purchase price). 

Dave J

A distant neighbor had a 42 (I think) and sure liked it.  He was the one that mentioned some have fin keels.  Before then, I never thought much about them due to price and what I thought were full keelers. I know they're not cheap but if this is going to be my last boat (famous last words, right?)...

Dave J

We rowed by two Scepter 41's in the same marina tonight and had to drift awhile next to them.  I've always liked them.  This one in the above ad is "only" $6K more than the Nauticat 35 for sale in Seattle. Hey, you only live once!

Veeger

Super Anarchist
While not a “real” pilot house, more a deck saloon, what about a Newport 35? There’s one in budget range with a full canvas enclosure in BC.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Newport-Pilothouse-3209881/Maple-Bay/Canada?refSource=browse listing#.Wvxv4RZlDYU
I'll not forget seeing the plastic thru hulls on a Newport 41 many years ago.  And No, not Forespar Marelon ones.  I mean cheap, brittle looking plastic ones.  Kinda made me a bit leery of Newport boats after that....

Dave J

I like the looks of those Newports and that this is a Gary Mull design.  I think it's a 33 footer.  It looks pretty nice and well equipped.  I saw the 39 foot version of this boat last year in Semiahmoo (or nearby).  That was the first 39 I'd seen.  With pilothouses/inside steering boats with decent upwind performance not too abundant around here, a deck saloon type would be a comfortable 2nd place.  Yes, good thru hulls are important, but I wonder just how good of a boat anyone really needs for Puget Sound?  I assume the Newports would outlast me.   Thanks for the link.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Yes, good thru hulls are important, but I wonder just how good of a boat anyone really needs for Puget Sound? 
Exactly - not exactly rounding the Horn around here.

I've been sailing here since the early 70's and I've never heard of a boat going down due to a construction inadequacy.

Any coastal cruiser will do from that standpoint.

That Newport didn't seem to have an inside helm so not a pilothouse.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Exactly - not exactly rounding the Horn around here.

I've been sailing here since the early 70's and I've never heard of a boat going down due to a construction inadequacy.

Any coastal cruiser will do from that standpoint.

That Newport didn't seem to have an inside helm so not a pilothouse.
exactly, i'd call it an early Deck Saloon. Funnily enough, newports were raced on SF Bay for a bunch of years.  You don't see them much anymore, but I recall seeing them in the PHRF fleet pac in the 90s. Folks would always say lightly built, but they were still out there.

Dave J

Thanks.  I think that's probably the way we'll go.  Here are three that appeal to us (on paper anyway). I haven't seen any in person.  We like the simplicity of a Freedom or Nonsuch.  I wouldn't mind if the Freedom was cheaper but it looks well equipped other than radar and it's newer than most boats we've looked at.  It has the shallow draft keel which I can't decide if I want to take a chance on.  I like the idea of better performance with the deeper fin keel but haven't seen much one way or the other specifically on this boat.  There's also the Freedom 32' that could work.  http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=2995

The 2nd is the CS34 (CS30 or CS36 could work depending on the boat, gear and condition). I've only read good things about them.  Here's a sistership  http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Canadian-Sailcraft-34-3049147/Toronto/Canada?refSource=standard listing#.Wv5JISCQy00

The third is a Mirage 35 (although I'd probably prefer the 33 since it's supposedly the same but without the reversed transom and a little lighter).  I do like Bob's designs so it has that going for it.  http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=3142

So, any thoughts?

HFC Hunter

Super Anarchist
Don’t worry about the keel performance differences for an old, cheap, comfy boat. The difference is simply time to enjoy another beer or hot buttered rum. Same logic on those boats for not needing rockstar sails, new running rigging, carbon rig, etc.

Redirect your performace seeking towards maxing comfort: ensuring you can keep your beer cold and the dinner hot, that the donkey is happy, and you’re not going to get crabs from the squabs. And rowaway factor.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dave:

You are correct. The Mirage 35 is the exact same hull and rig as the 33. Only the transom is different and with it a bit more LOA. I prefer the look of the 33 but the 35 may be a very slightly better sailing boat.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Assuming a Baba 40 is still over budget the standard sloop idea is workable. I have a good dodger and in most conditions can duck up forward out of the weather. An autopilot with a remote helps, I am looking at this for mine http://www.madmanmarine.com/shop/4576847473/Remote-Controls. Another thing to consider in our area is reliable heat, the Webasto or similar forced air heaters work well. I have one in my boat and have considered adding a vent in the cockpit forward at foot level.

I suspect that since the pool of used standard sailboats is so much greater than pilothouse boats you can get a much less expensive boat, add the heat dodger and autopilot and still come out ahead. A nice bridge deck to sit on would be icing on the cake.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Experience tells me the "budget" may be flexible to some degree when the client sees a boat he really wants. I can give you several examples.