Pilothouse For Puget Sound, $40K Or Less

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Bumping an old thread, cause I ran across another candidate for the OP (that I still can't afford)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/custom-truant-37-3464224/?refSource=standard listing#.W7d52WhKg2w

Nice bright pilothouse with dual steering, galley up, Bill Garden design, except that clipper bow doesn't do much for me. 

I can see how the interior is done well, but I'm with Kirwan on the clipper bow.  And I am also no fan of the fake-clinker on the topsides, the roundy stern, the how-can-we-maximise-drag support for the propshaft, and the super-deep fwd bulwarks with no visible scuppers.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Yes an interesting old thread, we are looking for similar in the near future. Some really nice boats in here, sadly in Pacific Pesos you don't get that much down here.

But it is a buyers market, I enquired about this one recently just asking for a few more details and pics. After sending what I asked for he must have mixed up his enquirers and suggested he could not accept $80k but might consider $95k. Next day he asked can you offer anything above 80??

45 apparent might be a struggle

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cooktown/sail-boats/adams-motorsailer-/109042855

Not a PH but this might be worth some TLC.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/panda-40-cutter-canoe-stern-perry-design-tashing-built/224245

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
We watch the same boats Paps..

I talked to the Adams guy a few years ago, wouldn’t consider anything less than 150k then.

My suggestion was that he bring it South and list it with a broker, he is getting desperate, but it would cost a couple of K’s just to look at it in Cooktown.

No surveyors up there either.

The Cairns boat looks good, we recently bought the first Valiant 40 ever built in Airlie Beach, no 101, so we are out of the market and up to our eyeballs in boat work a long way from home. It’s a challenge but doable.

FNQ boats get cheaper as the summer progresses....

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
We watch the same boats Paps..

I talked to the Adams guy a few years ago, wouldn’t consider anything less than 150k then.

My suggestion was that he bring it South and list it with a broker, he is getting desperate, but it would cost a couple of K’s just to look at it in Cooktown.

No surveyors up there either.

The Cairns boat looks good, we recently bought the first Valiant 40 ever built in Airlie Beach, no 101, so we are out of the market and up to our eyeballs in boat work a long way from home. It’s a challenge but doable.

FNQ boats get cheaper as the summer progresses....
Wow Ole, you do get around. Last I heard you were finishing up the Adams 36PH?? When did you get the V40 and when did they start making them in Airlie??

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
Still have the Adams down here in Tassie.

the V40 was made in Bellingham, it has sailed round the world three times since then.

found it slowly rotting away in NQ

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Question about these pilot house and similar designs, like Perry’s Freeport 36, are not those large windows a liability in a storm, especially with cross seas that might launch a wave into them?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Question about these pilot house and similar designs, like Perry’s Freeport 36, are not those large windows a liability in a storm, especially with cross seas that might launch a wave into them?
Over the years I've read numerous accounts of ports being stove in, even cabin tops stove in.

The one thing they all had in common was that the damage was inflicted on the lee side from things like getting dropped off a wave.

Boarding seas on the windward side were IIRC never the culprit.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Surely you jest, that would require going to windward? This is a motor sailor thread.....

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Very stubby rudder, and the transom is immersed. This boat is not going to plane.

21_4.jpg