Piper OD .. dayboat

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Quite a journey. I've been enjoying this thread since day one.
The whole idea was to move to this boat after the TransPac. Of course, that WAS going to be in 2020.  That got delayed until 2021...OK, fine.  Then COVID and "other stuff"   killed my chances of doing the 2021 TransPac.   Well fuck. But that's life.

I took the S2 out for a race in April, got into a tight situation, got close and personal with a channel marker and wound up with the mast on deck in two pieces.  The insurance company totalled it, but I kept the boat.  I couldn't bear to write it off.   The re-rig job took almost 3 months....not quite, but almost.  No comment. Anyway, now it's sold.  After all that, the new owners will put the rig from their old boat into the Wildcat and all that work that went into rebuilding the 'Cats rig is wasted. Fuck All.   But WTF, you can't predict these things.   The wife and I will go out on Sunday for a final sail, except that it will probably blow over 12 knots and she'll be terrified and we'll turn around after 15 minutes..... and then buyers will arrive with a trailer on the 25th.  And then the nightmare is over.

More or less on schedule, I start focusing on the Piper  right after the 25th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Yesterday I helped the new owners tidy up the Wildcat of Loch Awe and send her on her way to Texas.  With that sale, this guy makes a huge transition in his sailing life, away from singlehanding with the goal of crossing oceans, to laid-back daysailing and protected-water, small-crewed handicap racing.  Goodbye to 20 knot solo spinnaker gybes, hello to easy beer-in-one-hand-tiller-in-the-other sailing.

Alpha is the focus, now, so there are blog updates, which have been waiting in the wings for weeks/months to finally get written and uploaded.

https://swtartan.wixsite.com/piperonedesign

Goodbye-Wildcat.JPG

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I just picked up a used Honda 4-cycle 2.3 hp long-shaft outboard off of CL for the Piper. I'll need to rig up a side-mount for it, something like this:

torqeedo-1.jpg

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
All right, ye that know these things... I started sanding the topsides today when I decided that the ancient bottom paint that's left...that the pressure washer couldn't dislodge...has to undergo some treatment with paint stripper before I kill myself sanding through it all.  So I got out the Random Orbital sander and put a disk of 120 grit on it and went to work. Whooooahhhhh.

WHAM, instantly. Touch the paint at all and it's GONE.  It's incredibly soft. The bottom paint is more tenacious than this stuff.....except.....that under the stern overhand where it's been more protected from the elements, it's in much better condition. It's more true to color and quite a bit harder.

This boat probably hasn't been painted in 20, possibly 30 years. Hell, it could be 40 years.  Does marine enamel get "soft" when it weathers for decades?  I could sand it all off, but I'm more inclined to just take it down to really smooth and paint over it. Could this possibly be a one-part polurethane?   There's a white primer under the sea-green paint, and the gel coat is a similar, but lighter green, under that.

The Q

Super Anarchist
I just picked up a used Honda 4-cycle 2.3 hp long-shaft outboard off of CL for the Piper. I'll need to rig up a side-mount for it, something like this:

That reminds me I need to make such a bracket for my boat..

Though I won't be putting metal work on the side of the boat like this one.. Just extend the arm fore and Aft so it pushes on the hull

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/64/167291083_b2ca1bf091.jpg?v=0

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Fleetwood, odds are that this upcoming paint job is going to be done by an experienced buddy with an airless sprayer.  I'll do all the prep,  including foam-rolling/tipping off/sanding  on an undercoat if needed (highly likely)  He shows up the next morning and puts on one coat as soon as it warms up a bit. We wait for a 3-4 hours, we go over it with 220 grit and he puts on a second coat.  The boat is outside, so obviously this won't happen until maybe April, when the days are long enough.

He's not a professional, he just does a lot of painting. So a two-part poly paint is out of the question. We don't want to die!  It'll either be a fancypants marine enamel or a one-part poly.  I can't imagine any marine enamel solvents lifting another enamel, but I don't know about the one-part poly. I'd probably use Petit EZ Poxy  (seafoam green).

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
The Q: The problem with the little Edson mount is that it's got a block on it that rubs on the side of the boat and it will, in time, wear off the paint. Even adding some felt, or something...it's gonna wear on it.  Rustler Yachts makes a bracket specificially for the Rustler 24, which is the same hull as my boat but they want $1000 for it.  Um... No.

So I'll be mocking up something that will probably have  flush-deck-mount bracket that has two widely-spaced holes for through-bolts,  and a 2-inch square stainless tube that sticks off the side of the boat.

The Q

Super Anarchist
The Q: The problem with the little Edson mount is that it's got a block on it that rubs on the side of the boat and it will, in time, wear off the paint. Even adding some felt, or something...it's gonna wear on it.  Rustler Yachts makes a bracket specificially for the Rustler 24, which is the same hull as my boat but they want $1000 for it.  Um... No.

So I'll be mocking up something that will probably have  flush-deck-mount bracket that has two widely-spaced holes for through-bolts,  and a 2-inch square stainless tube that sticks off the side of the boat.
 I wouldn't be paying $1000 either.

Many broads boats have the two through bolts in the deck, leaving the bolts in the deck when unused. This is what I'm intending to do, though with my fixed position in the boat, I'm having to be very precise choosing the place for the mount.

The broads boats don't seem to have a problem with rubbing of the paint, although you're likely to have more waves in the waters you'll be sailing in. I've not seen a fancy metal work side mount, all the traditional broads ones are solid wood ( mahogany or the like)

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
 I wouldn't be paying $1000 either.

Many broads boats have the two through bolts in the deck, leaving the bolts in the deck when unused. This is what I'm intending to do, though with my fixed position in the boat, I'm having to be very precise choosing the place for the mount.

The broads boats don't seem to have a problem with rubbing of the paint, although you're likely to have more waves in the waters you'll be sailing in. I've not seen a fancy metal work side mount, all the traditional broads ones are solid wood ( mahogany or the like)
If you happen to know of a photograph of one of these wood outboard motor brackets, I'd love to see it.

The Q

Super Anarchist
A side mount motor bracket is not something I've thought to take a photo of, and wading round the net neither has anyone else. So sorry can't help at the moment. It's unlikely I'll see any more till April when every one brings their boats back for the start of next season..

Meanwhile, boxing day I got my boat's hull (same WLL as your boat but no overhangs) into the same state, SWMBO said here comes the snowman, very light blue paint.. Today I got a coat of primer on, we are " suffering" record high temperatures for the time of year, 15C which helps..  back to normal Wednesday, forecast to be 0C.

chester

Super Anarchist
it was nice of them to provide a dimensioned set of drawings!  I can print that out and see what a fab shop can do in aluminum.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Yeah, I've looked at that. I think my buddy Len can fab up something in s.s. if I buy him the TIG rod (which I already did, for another project) a case of beer and provide about $50 worth of materials.

Considering as Rustler Yachts sells something much the same, only even shinier for almost $1,000, the $500 looks pretty good.

========================

I am finding myself very low on motivation for anything boat-wise these days. It appears that I really shot my wad prepping for the SHTP that COVID ruined.  Now the S2 7.9 is gone and I don't actually miss sailing at all.   I seem to find every excuse to not work on the boat, and do music instead.  I know that once she's up and running, it will be fun again but that fucked-up SHTP was a hell of a price to pay in mental and spiritual energy.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Interesting, when I look at the profile art on the Rustler version, it looks like they filled in the forward profile more.  I think I prefer the look shown in the Piper half hull.
I suspect that there's some camera distortion in the half-hull photo.  What I see on my boat is exactly like the Rustler....which makes sense, since it was molded from a Piper.

Latest posts