Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
At the yard. It won't be long, now.

11-AlphaYard2.JPG

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
At British Marine while they're removing the rest of that probably 80's vintage bottom paint.  Pic thanks to a buddy in the SSS; "Intermission".

Alpha-BritishMarine-shiny-small.jpeg

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Yay. She didn't sink.  At least, not right away.  I ran over to Svendsens and got  couple of new turnbuckles to replace the old, frozen ones on the lower stays.

Alpha-first-float.JPG

Alpha-launch-berth.JPG

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Thanks, gents. This afternoon I go up there to make sure she hasn't sunk, but I don't have a phone call this morning, so the yard guys haven't spotted anything.

She needs the mainsheet set up and the adjustable backstay system in place and then she's ready to sail.  Saturday?  She's not DONE, but I can sail her in moderate wind, once those are done. The sails are used, I even modified a cheap jib to fit pretty close to class specs, but of course the sail numbers are all wrong.  *meh*...don't care, for now.

Upcoming projects?  1.) replace the ancient bronze winches...one doesn't even work...with some Harken self-tailers that I have.  2.) sand and oil the topsides wood.   3.) touch up the paint along the sheerline where the roller couldn't get into little places, and fix a ~ding~ that I didn't paint up by the bow   4.) put in some eyes along the sheer to lash/bungee the cockpit cover to 5.)  finish  painting the interior (easy)    6.) replace the aft bulkhead (not as crucial or as hard as it sounds  6.) the biggie...refinish the deck.

#1 and #4 are relatively high priority.

I'll also make a lockable box for stowing stuff like winch handles, the outboard bracket arm and lifejackets. and probably glass in a piece of wood to clamp the outboard to, when sailing.

Oh, and she needs a new topping lift.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Secondhand Ensign mainsail fits OK...plenty good enough to get started. The jib clew is a bit too high, though. I have another jib in the garage that I can try.

Tomorrow I go by West Marine and get a hand bilge pump and eight bolts, nuts and fender washers. I'll mount two padeyes on deck to make a bridle for the mainsheet that goes over the tiller. Once that's rigged up....put the outboard on, chug chug out into the channel and ...GO SAILING!

IMG_6450.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Secondhand Ensign mainsail fits OK...plenty good enough to get started. The jib clew is a bit too high, though. I have another jib in the garage that I can try.

Tomorrow I go by West Marine and get a hand bilge pump and eight bolts, nuts and fender washers. I'll mount two padeyes on deck to make a bridle for the mainsheet that goes over the tiller. Once that's rigged up....put the outboard on, chug chug out into the channel and ...GO SAILING!

View attachment 509959
So I know it's only money, but that boat is crying out for a set of new sails... :wub:

The Q

Super Anarchist
Your sails look perfectly respectable..

Because...

I'm doing the same, my little mini keel boat has a second hand set of sails on while I finish developing the rig. Once I'm happy a new set will be ordered, but they probably won't get put on till next year...

My boats sails have a date in the corner... 1980!!!!

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
FIRST SAIL.....it took forever at the dock today. The dock wags wanted to talk. Oh. My. God. I must have humored one of them for a total of 45 minutes, just mmmm-hmm'ing.  I don't have a key for the dock, so I feel like I'm obligated to be nice, since they're all letting me on.

Anyway, I tried setting up the padeyes for the adjustable mainsheet bridle system, but my *cough* Manly chest can't get crammed far enough aft through the small opening in the aft bulkhead. Well, that bulkhead needs replacing anyway, so when it's out, I'll get the nuts on the padeyes.  Meanwhile, the mainsheet just terminates on a block tied to the aft mooring cleat.. Funky, but it works.  It took me 40 minutes to figure out why the outboard wouldn't run for more than about a minute. I learned about the weak spot in my outboard bracket, and adapted things.  Anyway, once that was all sorted, FINALLY around 4:15, I got away from the dock for about two hours.

There's video, complete with still-dirty decks that need scrubbing and paint, halyards cleated off in all the wrong places, a mainsail that desperately needs more halyard tension and a working downhaul, and a right mess in the cockpit.  But WTF, I had fun!  She sails!  I might be able to edit the video(s) to get them small enough to post here.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
...She sails!  I might be able to edit the video(s) to get them small enough to post here.

A simple YouTube link embedded in your post here should suffice. Then it doesn't matter what size the video is; post your whole damn sail if you wish.

Lovely looking boat. Glad you made it out for a sail. Validates all the hard work and aggravation doesn't it?

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
OK, coognoscenti, after I replace most of the aft bulkhead and install the two little Harken self=tailing winches I have, the next project is the deck.

I'm pretty sure that the current nonskid is sand.  Back when this was done, "Kiwigrip" didn't exist.  The nonskid is OK over most of the boat but there are patches that have worn off on the foredeck.  Those need more sand...or something, so questions here.

1.) is putting another coat of paint down over the existing nonskid likely to make it not-grippy enough?  Should I re-do the sand over the whole deck, or can I just "patch in" the bare spots?  I expect that it's hard to say without actually seeing the deck.

2.) I've seen two basic ways to do this..A.) spread thinned epoxy the area that needs coverage, then sprinkle sifted sand onto the area.....wait until the epoxy kicks off, then brush the excess off....B.) basically the same as A except using whatever paint you're using on the deck instead of epoxy.

Thoughts?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
OK, coognoscenti, after I replace most of the aft bulkhead and install the two little Harken self=tailing winches I have, the next project is the deck.

I'm pretty sure that the current nonskid is sand.  Back when this was done, "Kiwigrip" didn't exist.  The nonskid is OK over most of the boat but there are patches that have worn off on the foredeck.  Those need more sand...or something, so questions here.

1.) is putting another coat of paint down over the existing nonskid likely to make it not-grippy enough?  Should I re-do the sand over the whole deck, or can I just "patch in" the bare spots?  I expect that it's hard to say without actually seeing the deck.

2.) I've seen two basic ways to do this..A.) spread thinned epoxy the area that needs coverage, then sprinkle sifted sand onto the area.....wait until the epoxy kicks off, then brush the excess off....B.) basically the same as A except using whatever paint you're using on the deck instead of epoxy.

Thoughts?
epoxy will yellow and end up looking shitty. I found a guy in the bay area that will do the job in your slip (depending on marina rules of course) for $35/hour + materials. PM me if interested.

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
Mask non-skid areas; apply 1st coat of your choice of deck paint (2-pack if compatible with existing surface); sprinkle non-skid additive over the paint while still wet, putting more in worn areas; let dry, vacuum or brush off excess; apply 2nd coat. Done.

(The masking takes most time.)

Latest posts