Piper OD .. dayboat

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
In response to the Mrs' concerns, I'm working overtime to put together the  Caledonia/California Classic Sailing Syndicate. As in, me and two buddies go in together to buy the thing.  I'm tempted to buy it, so someone else doesn't and then just deal with the partnership details, later.  I'm also calling around about storage options.  As in, if the TI Sailing bunch doesn't have a dry storage slot, is there somewhere in the Delta that I can keep it for cheap until a dry-storage/launch slot comes available.

Answer to that is *yes*, BTW.

It appears that some have crossed to France.

http://associationtrident.e-monsite.com/pages/membres-et-bateaux/thor-le-piper-24-de-dominique.html

3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Damn. I'll sail with you France. I'll even pay my own way!

Somebody needs to hit that dude in the red jacket over the head.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
If you’re in the SF Bay Area are a competent sailor, have basic maintenance skills and are interested in a 1/3 partnership in this boat, PM me.  We have two and are looking for a third.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
What's the story on the boats in Texas? Seriously, this is the day sailor I've been looking for.
I think there’s only one in Texas.  The article says that seven came to North America but I’m not sure that’s right.  At least 30 Rustler 24’s have been built, but I’d guess most are in the UK.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
BOOM!  Made an offer...he counter-offered. Got it.   SWEET!

Apparently the trailer isn't capable of getting the boat down here from up in Nevada City. That's the bad news. The good news is that another guy I've been communicating with, who knows his shit, has tapped the deck and hull and found no delamination. Delammed decks are the primary bugaboo with these things.  SWEET.

I've got another rudder to make! LOL

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
BOOM!  Made an offer...he counter-offered. Got it.   SWEET!

Apparently the trailer isn't capable of getting the boat down here from up in Nevada City. That's the bad news. The good news is that another guy I've been communicating with, who knows his shit, has tapped the deck and hull and found no delamination. Delammed decks are the primary bugaboo with these things.  SWEET.

I've got another rudder to make! LOL
Alan! Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics!

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I FINALLY actually saw the boat yesterday. I did a one-day run up to Nevada City...ten hours in the car for five and a half hours of boat time.

There's work, here.  There's only one "bulkhead" in the boat and it needs rebuilding, but no big deal. The plywood "partial" bulkheads are mostly in good shape. One might need replacing or epoxy injected into it.   The hull is rock solid. Hull color is aqua paint over white gelcoat...Hmmm... what to do about that?    There's no boom. **Effff...* Rudder is long, long gone, I'll be building a new one.  Rudder post is there and the lower bronze gudgeon is there. *whew*.  One rigging wire is stranded, everything else looks to be perfect. The wire ends were done up with Norseman terminals, so it's a DIY job. The turnbuckles look totally fine.  I might not have to totally re-rig the boat, which would be sweet.  I think there's a spinnaker..no other sails, though the spinny might be from the guys old Flying Fifteen.  He's got the F-15 keel lying on  his driveway, says I can have it if I want it.  WTH would I do with a flying fifteen keel?

On the way home I stopped in Davis for a bathroom break and coffee and there was a bagpiper playing on the street. After I got the coffee I realized that the piper was really good, so I went to see who it was. Turns out it was Chelsea Joy, who's been my "hot girl piper" crush for two years, though she doesn't know me from Adam.  So I tossed $10 in her tip bucket, freaked her out by calling her by her name and we had a nice conversation about piping, the World Championships (she's going, with the main San Francisco pipe band), the Schotts & Dykehead band, and so on.  She played four minutes of her competition  piobrochead for me for my ten bucks, and I served as advertising manager for twenty minutes as people came by. I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek.  Made my day.  She's the redhead in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dkhFQfXG8

Here's Chelsea with the band she used to play with, the "Angry Brians".

the-angry-brians-2.jpg

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
He's got the F-15 keel lying on  his driveway, says I can have it if I want it.  WTH would I do with a flying fifteen keel?
Buy a dose of ply and a stash of epoxy, and get @willp14335 to design an epoxy ply hull to fit on top of the keel.

Then you will have a boat whose design credits are shared by two naval architects born a century apart.  One of the great designers of the mid-20th century in posthumous collaboration with a rising star of the mid-21st century.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
For you UK guys, what the heck is the piston and lever for, on this trailer hitch?  The piston leads to a small rod which goes back to a little bridle back near the front axle. That bridle leads to rods that go to each of the wheels.  Emergency brake?  Surge Brake?

Trailer hitch.jpg