Piper OD .. dayboat

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
For you UK guys, what the heck is the piston and lever for, on this trailer hitch?  The piston leads to a small rod which goes back to a little bridle back near the front axle. That bridle leads to rods that go to each of the wheels.  Emergency brake?  Surge Brake?
It is a parking brake cum surge brake.

Mode 1: parking. Pull lever and lock it.

Mode 2: normal driving.  Fully release lever, and flip out the pawl over the piston so it is free to move.  Now if the trailer starts pushing the car fwd (e.g. when car brakes are applied), the piston is pushed back and the trailer brakes itself.

Mode 3: reversing.  Fully release lever, and flip in the pawl over the piston, so that the piston cannot move.  Now you can reverse without trailer applying its own brakes.

I thought this was how trailer brakes were set up on all light trailers.  Heavy ones have a plug-in-link to the towing vehicle's hydraulics (e.g. on what you folks call a "semi" and we call an "articulated truck" or "artic") ... but AFAIK this is how all Yurp does it for trailers over the EU 750kg unbraked limit and below whatever the threshold is for fully-linked brakes.

How do Muricans brake light trailers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
It is a parking brake cum surge brake.

Mode 1: parking. Pull lever and lock it.

Mode 2: normal driving.  Fully release lever, and flip out the pawl over the piston so it is free to move.  Now if the trailer starts pushing the car fwd (e.g. when car brakes are applied), the piston is pushed back and the trailer brakes itself.

Mode 3: reversing.  Fully release lever, and flip in the pawl over the piston, so that the piston cannot move.  Now you can reverse without trailer applying its own brakes.

I thought this was how trailer brakes were set up on all light trailers.  Heavy ones have a plug-in-link to the towing vehicle's hydraulics (e.g. on what you folks call a "semi" and we call an "articulated truck" or "artic") ... but AFAIK this is how all Yurp does it for trailers over the EU 750kg unbraked limit and below whatever the threshold is for fully-linked brakes.

How do Muricans brake light trailers?
OK, then!  And are these assemblies still available to be purchased?  Where might I acquire one of these unit to put on the "new" front-third of the trailer than I'm going to be built?

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
It appears that the answer is "yes"

http://www.trailerspares.net/store,search.html

https://www.autow.com/trailer-parts/trailer-couplings/spring-braked-couplings/BD040M

I think I need one of these...which means taking more measurements. Ugh.  ---  https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/understanding-over-run-brake-systems/

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Hmm, those units are   -->>  **Expensive**

I was going to rebuild the entire front part of the trailer, but if I have to replace the  overrun spring cylinder unit as well we're talking major cash.  I might just cut out and replace the rusted out beam instead.  The seller has a hand-bandsaw so cutting it out at the back end will be easy.  . If I got an angle grinder I could "probably" clean out enough  up at the hitch end to make it possible to weld in another piece.  It means a buttload of labor (mine)  but less labor to play the welders, and a lot less steel to buy, AND the $$ equivalent of 150 pounds plus shipping of an expensive heavy item from the UK.

I can lie in the grass and grind for a while, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Fleetwood said:
We call them override brakes in Oz, most small trailers have them. Simple but effective.

Sweet boat.

Trailer looks just fine, what could go wrong......
Yeah, you can't see the completely rusted out part from this side!

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
What does the boat weigh, maybe 4000? Can you disable that system and haul it home? Then replace both axles with Dexter 3500's, one electric brake and a new coupler. Easy and cheap.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
What does the boat weigh, maybe 4000? Can you disable that system and haul it home? Then replace both axles with Dexter 3500's, one electric brake and a new coupler. Easy and cheap.
3500. Add in 1K for the trailer, maybe 800...so 4300 -4500 all up.  Can I disable the system?  Yes!

Ianscot

Hi. Just caught onto this site. Think there was 58 Pipers built. If this is piper 24?, the list from 2017 indicated last known name was Spring Tide and sailed out of Antigua. I sail out of Royal Gourock on the River Clyde. We have 6 club owned papers and another which is privately owned. Racing is Tuesday's and Wednesdays. We also have social sailing on Fridays(on Pipers) and teach people who are interested in sailing free of charge for 1st year. Just raced on Saturday out of Holy Loch on the Piper Anniversary. The Pipers have there own association and website with 2 Pipers currently up for sail. 

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
3500. Add in 1K for the trailer, maybe 800...so 4300 -4500 all up.  Can I disable the system?  Yes!
What do you have for a tow vehicle? Will you be able to put the boat on stands for the refurb? 

If so then you can get the trailer to someone like me to rebuild the frame and running gear. Unless of course you have skills and equipment to do it.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Hi Alan. Is there an actual boat number for your Piper?  
I know about the Gourock Pipers!  I'm in contact with several class members in Scotland, as well.

This is hull #35, name is "Alpha".  I think hull #24 was used to make the Rustler 24 mold. Hmm... not sure of that hull number.

bmiller, this trailer is like nothing I've ever seen before.  I mean, obviously it's welded steel, then painted, but the method of construction is nothing like any sailboat  trailer I've ever seen. My goal right now is to make the trailer functional and get it down to a dry storage area that's not far from my house that won't break the bank while I work on it.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
My little  Chevy S-10 will pull this thing around the storage yard just fine, but I'm not using that little 4-cylinder to pull it on the highway. Besides, with my current setup, my towing limit on the truck is 800 pounds.  NOT.  So I was gonna rent a big U-Haul  8 cylinder pickup.  Those can tow 6K pounds.  It's a fairly steep downhill for about two miles out of this guys driveway to get to town, and then on the highway, it's three hours to the storage yard.  Thre's about a 3,000 foot elevation drop on the highway to that yard.    I'm not sure I want to do that without brakes on the trailer. 

There are some dual axle trailers for sale around the SF Bay area for about $500.  They're all powerboat trailers, but with another $200 worth of steel and some basic welding, I'd have something.  So that's tempting, too.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Fleetwood said:
$500 worth of steel and welding can't fix the trailer? Just take it slow on the hills.
About a hour with a hand bandsaw..
An hour with a chisel and  wire wheel...

Two or three hours with an angle grinder...

About $75 worth of steel and an hour of a mobile welders time will get this trailer functional again.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Yes, it needs significant repair.... but what you see here, plus some more of the same on the same beam about 4 feet further back, is all the significant rust on the trailer.

TrailerRust.jpg

TrailerRust2.jpg

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I'll have to fix that part of the trailer before I can move it..  Both the owner and someone who I haven't met yet, but we've corresponded about the boat think that I can grind out the bad stuff and then weld / sister some 4 inch side, 1/4 steel plate onto the good stuff and it'll be fine.  That will require a LOT less cutting and grinding than cutting out the whole beam.  This beam, on the opposite side has a bad spot as well, right where this destroyed part is, but it's not 1/10th as bad.