Piper OD .. dayboat

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
Good news. 

You should send the photos to the local welder and get his input before you start hacking on it. He may have a certain way he wants it done. Welding is like painting, its all in the prep.

randii

Sacramento area
Uhaul pickups are pricy for what they are... and you generally pay per mile. Alamo rents F150s (request the Ford or you might wind up with a Chevy) for very reasonable rates ... and unlimited miles.

Why the Ford? As 'America's truck' you can't get one with any level of option WITHOUT a class IV receiver hitch.

Randii

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Yeah, but be careful about who allows you to tow with it...Pretty sure most rental companies specifically forbid it.  UHaul is one of the few I know that allow it...

When worried about steep hills, with a loaded truck, just leave the shifter in 2nd gear. The engine will absorb the heat normally loaded into your brakes, and unload it through the radiator. Speed is the enemy of vehicles loaded well into the designed capacity. Otherwise a modern pickup should pull the boat with no worries...

randii

Sacramento area
Yeah, but be careful about who allows you to tow with it...Pretty sure most rental companies specifically forbid it.  UHaul is one of the few I know that allow it...
I checked with my insurance agent and chose to self-insure. The rental company didn't need to know the full details, IMHO. Your risk tolerance may vary!

That said, Enterprise Truck Rentals specifically advertises for towing/rental capabilities: https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/promotions/promo_towing.html?icid=USTrucks-_-PersonalCarousel-_-Towing

Cool project, no matter how you get it home!

Randii

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I'm beginning to smell a rat, here.

It's been three months since I sent a pretty big deposit, and two months since I went up there to see what I was buying. There is no sign of a pink slip for the boat from this guy, no sign of a pink slip or PTI registration for the trailer.  There's $500-$600 dollars of work to put into that trailer before I can move the boat, hell if I'm spending that money on a trailer I don't have the title to.  Yet the guy offered to give me a bill of sale, instead of the pink slip.  He claims his wife works at the DMV, she should be able to expedite the process of getting the title taken care of.

So why isn't it done, yet?  Why the Bill of Sale instead of a pink slip?

I'm beginning to suspect  that there may be more due in back registration fees than he asked for the boat.  We have a contract, but he also has a pretty substantial deposit on the thing. I may lose the deposit, which would suck, bigtime, but I'm not renting trucks, having the boat hauled around, paying welders etc. etc. until I have that pink slip.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
It's been three months since I sent a pretty big deposit, and two months since I went up there to see what I was buying. There is no sign of a pink slip for the boat from this guy, no sign of a pink slip or PTI registration for the trailer.  There's $500-$600 dollars of work to put into that trailer before I can move the boat, hell if I'm spending that money on a trailer I don't have the title to.  Yet the guy offered to give me a bill of sale, instead of the pink slip.  He claims his wife works at the DMV, she should be able to expedite the process of getting the title taken care of.
Alan, in Ireland we have a process known as "small claims court": https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/small-claims-procedure/ .  Our neighbours in England+Wales have a similar process: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money  In each case the advantage is that the process is simple and cheap.  Lawyers are not needed, so neither side is allowed to claim for legal costs, and the fees are trivial (€25 in Ireland; 5% of the claim in England and Wales).

So in either of those jurisdictions, I would recommend a stern letter demanding that seller either produces the appropriate paperwork before a specified date, or returns the deposit.  If neither happens, then lodge a small claim for the deposit.

Does your state (California????) have a similar process?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Alan, in Ireland we have a process known as "small claims court": https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/small-claims-procedure/ .  Our neighbours in England+Wales have a similar process: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money  In each case the advantage is that the process is simple and cheap.  Lawyers are not needed, so neither side is allowed to claim for legal costs, and the fees are trivial (€25 in Ireland; 5% of the claim in England and Wales).

So in either of those jurisdictions, I would recommend a stern letter demanding that seller either produces the appropriate paperwork before a specified date, or returns the deposit.  If neither happens, then lodge a small claim for the deposit.

Does your state (California????) have a similar process?
Yes, we do.  I think I'm going to give the guy another few weeks, and if I hear nothing back, or hear back, but more tosh about how his wife hasn't gotten around to it yet, then I will write the letter, and send it certified mail.

The Department of Motor Vehicles in California is *VERY* understaffed, and notorious for being ridiculously slow about everything except, of course, collecting your money. It is ~possible~ that he and his wife are still working on it......but in another 3-4 weeks, no. No, at that point it's just bullshit.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
After some very tense e-mail exchanges in which I pointed out relevant pages on the California DMV website about title transfer, I seem to be corresponding with the guys wife, now.  Maybe there will be some action....we'll see. I gave them a deadline of Dec. 1st to get the Pink Slip paperwork done. It can be in my name or his, I don't care, I just refuse to buy a boat and trailer where I don't know for sure that the person selling it to me is the actual owner.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Incredibly, after a little e-mail nag, DMV paperwork has arrived. It's incomplete, it doesn't have the Hull ID number or the trailer ID number, it fact it's got nothing but the guys signature and the sales price. It's a partially filled-out Bill of Sale. NOT the pink slip.  But it's SOMETHING.

RedRyder

Connecticut
Incredibly, after a little e-mail nag, DMV paperwork has arrived. It's incomplete, it doesn't have the Hull ID number or the trailer ID number, it fact it's got nothing but the guys signature and the sales price. It's a partially filled-out Bill of Sale. NOT the pink slip.  But it's SOMETHING.
Great news! Can't wait for the updates...

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Yeah, well... I'm supposed to mail it all back and they will take care of the title transfer. That's the agreement. They have until Dec. 1

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Incredible. Guess what arrived in the mail yesterday....registration in my name. I now, according to the State of California...own this boat. I'd given up on it, and had given them a deadline of Dec. 1 to get the title squared away!

I'm the new owner of the Piper One Design, Hull #35, "Alpha".

Last edited by a moderator: