Plugging Unneeded Thru-hulls

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
"Installing" C-Head in the new boat. T-H and backing plates work and look fine. I'm reluctant to disappear them and glass over and considering just filling with goo that would be easy to remove for someone else in the future. 

Thoughts or recommendations? 

ghost37

Boston
If the seacock installation for the old head is well done (as indicated), I would just leave it if you have any reservations about the future. 

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Me, I pulled the thruhulls and glassed over. If someone else wants to change that, it's their problem. I'd just as soon have fewer holes in the boat.

Will1073

Anarchist
I would sooner leave them as is, than fill with something. Ultimately, if it were my own boat I would glass them over.

DDW

Super Anarchist
It isn't really a very long or challenging fiberglass job. I did one on my boat a long time ago while careened, waiting for the bottom paint to dry.

sailak

Super Anarchist
AK
There was a derelict boat in Hawaii I remember that had just wood plugs driven into the hull.  It sat at anchor for years.. wonder what happened?  Probably got swept away in the 2011 tsunami.  

Certainly +1 vote for remove and glass in.  Last couple I did I removed the fitting, cleaned up the inside, tossed a single layer of glass on the inside of the hull and then after it set ground in the taper on the outside, thus preventing the inevitable dust cloud on the inside of the boat.  Unwanted thru hulls are the sort of thing that for no other reason that to piss you off will wake you up in the middle of the night on some random day you really needed a good night sleep and cause you to screw up something important at work, get fired, go bankrupt and then have to sell the boat at which time the highest bidder will see it and retract their offer.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
West or poly? 
Depends on which kind of resin you already have laying around for odd small jobs. I like epoxy, it's easier, stronger, more waterproof; but it is a lot more expensive. I tend to buy it in gallon lots and not think about it.

It's a fairly easy job, use some sheet plastic (painters drop cloth but not the super-thin stuff) and cardboard on the outside to get the outer surface smooth and fair. At one point, my wife and I cruised in a Taiwan-built boat with thru-hulls for various unneeded things, I ground them out and filled them without a 2nd thought. Fewer holes equal better.

The next guy, if there is one, will find that drilling holes where needed is better and less difficult.

- DSK

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Thx. I have half a gallon of West laying around and may just use that. maybe I'm just being slack. If I plug those holes, I'll move the engine intake TH to where it can be reached without a long stick, as now. 

Latest posts