PNW Trip

matt_t

If you want to spend time in the San Juan Islands, I'd probably put Orcas and Lopez at the top of the List. San Juan Island is fun too, but Orcas and Lopez have better dining options. San Juan does have the Spike Africa as a sunset or day charter, which is super fun. We go on SA for sunset sails when we're not on our boat, it's pretty cheap, maybe $50 or so for a sunset sail. It's a cool boat to be on for a couple hours. But overall Orcas probably has the most variety for dining options. Lopez has fewer dining options, but the nice restaurants there are a step above in quality to San Juan Island. That said, if you're not much of a foodie, San Juan is super fun. The smaller islands are also all fantastic but if you're not cruising, I'd skip them. The nice parts of the smaller islands are generally enjoying secluded bays and going on hikes and without ferry access, they'd be a pain to get to for something you can experience literally anywhere in the PNW. Have fun!

mcmurdo

earth
I was walking on the Victoria waterfront earlier in the week when the Coho berthed. She's looking a little...beat up.

IMG_0599.jpg

Veeger

Super Anarchist
I was walking on the Victoria waterfront earlier in the week when the Coho berthed. She's looking a little...beat up.

View attachment 497657
Ahh, c’mon man!  She just got all spiffed up for the year in Anacortes. Don’t let a little plate deformation bother ya.  Start looking around at ships, barges, navy Warcraft, etc and you’ll see this is normal.  (Troubling, but normal…)

DDW

Super Anarchist
The Coho has looked like that for years. Launched 1959. I was launched before that, and don't look much better....

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Yeah, a couple of times in the 90's, we tried to drift-dive the north wall at "slack."  People who have done it say it's spectacular.  Well, it sorta was, but it was still like being tossed around in a washing machine

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
https://schoonerzodiac.com/

While I have no first-hand experience, these guys offer multi-day trips to the San Juans.

And while it's a bit outside what you asked about,  the ferry up to Ketchikan is about a day and a half and spectacular. 
We have booked a "stateroom" for a San Juan cruise. I think it will be great fun - very similar to Maine Windjammer cruise. Thanks again!

sailor-cfn

We have booked a "stateroom" for a San Juan cruise. I think it will be great fun - very similar to Maine Windjammer cruise. Thanks again!
Awesome.  I noticed that schooner when I was waiting for the ferry to Ketchikan a few years ago (it was docked nearby), and kept it in my "things to Google someday" list.   Awesome that worked out.  Remember to write up a report here when you get back.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Awesome.  I noticed that schooner when I was waiting for the ferry to Ketchikan a few years ago (it was docked nearby), and kept it in my "things to Google someday" list.   Awesome that worked out.  Remember to write up a report here when you get back.
Schooner ZODIAC. What's not to like?

image.png

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
That’s cool.  I think I last saw her when she was a partially disassembled hulk. It was hard to imagine the happy ending.

PaulK

Super Anarchist
In Seattle, after you've visited Starbuck's, the Space Needle and the fish market, a trip to the Pop Culture Museum is interesting if only to see Frank Gehry's fascinating building. They have rotating exhibits that may or may not be appealing, but certainly will help visitors get a better feel for what is going on. https://www.mopop.org

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Mrs. Bull and I will be attending the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival probably on Saturday, September 10. Would love to meet up with you. I will be in a beer buying mood. Is there a tap room in or near the Festival?

How can we recognize one another? Shall we carry a Wooden Boat magazine under our left arm and wear a tin foil helmet?

Latest posts