PNW Trip

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
We're leaving N.C. at 6:00 AM o_O September 2, arriving in Seattle 8:50 AM. Head to Bellingham for SJ Island cruise on ZODIAC, September 3 -5.

Then Seattle until September 9, when we go to Sequim/Port Angeles for 5 days. Mrs. Bull and I are going to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival on Saturday, the 10th. We'll stop by the TALLY-HO Open Shop in the afternoon and Off Center Harbor Happy Hour 4 - 6 PM.

Can we make a time & location for a SA meet up on the 10th? I have no idea what would make sense. @SASSAFRASS may have a suggestion since his boat may be in the show.

Cheers and hope to see y'all!

B.C.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I'm cruising until the 6th and should be at Roche on the 3rd and 4th. If I miss you there, I will be at the WBF, including the Tally Ho open house. I plan to spend a fair amount of time at the Pour House too...

chester

Super Anarchist
We're leaving N.C. at 6:00 AM o_O September 2, arriving in Seattle 8:50 AM. Head to Bellingham for SJ Island cruise on ZODIAC, September 3 -5.

Then Seattle until September 9, when we go to Sequim/Port Angeles for 5 days. Mrs. Bull and I are going to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival on Saturday, the 10th. We'll stop by the TALLY-HO Open Shop in the afternoon and Off Center Harbor Happy Hour 4 - 6 PM.

Can we make a time & location for a SA meet up on the 10th? I have no idea what would make sense. @SASSAFRASS may have a suggestion since his boat may be in the show.

Cheers and hope to see y'all!

B.C.

Reactions: Mid

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
I am now sitting on my ass in our AirBnB/BookingsDotCom on the east shore of Lake Union. Yesterday (9/7), we visited Pikes Market and had lunch at Taylor Shellfish Bar on Mercer. Lunch was out-f**king-standing. So good that we got some D-crabs to take home for dinner.

We first arrived in Seattle around 8:30 AM on 9/2, picked up our rental car and drove to Bellingham. It's a nice little town, with lots to eat and drink.

The next morning, we boarded the Schooner Zodiac for 3-day, 2-night cruise in the San Juans. It was very enjoyable. Enough "participation" to satisfy anyone, good food, enjoyable guests, and friendly crew. The first day's sail was glorious. Here is a 2 minute video (sorry for vertical format):

The first night we anchored in Sucia Island, the second near Spencer Spit. That night, we put out some crab traps, and had these fellows for brunch:

IMG_5913.jpeg

This morning, I walked down to the Center for Wooden Boats for a look-see and a check-out sail with the idea of a daysail afterwards. It was not a great success. The check-out was on a speedy 20' fin keel sloop, a Blanchard Junior. It was blowing about 15 knots out of the north, and we reefed the main. I did fine on the sailing part (leaving the dock, tacking, gibing), but the instructor was not quite satisfied with my docking under sail. Not being familiar with the BJ, I was hesitant to approach the dock at flank speed, as she did, so, although my docking was adequate, she acknowledged the conditions, but withheld final approval.

Tomorrow, we leave Seattle for Port Angeles for five days, one of which will be spent at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival.

God Save the King. Been a long time since I've said that.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
We attended the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival yesterday. We got there about 9:30 and it was very nice. Absolutely lovely boats. We wanted to go to the Tally-Ho Open House, which was 10 AM - 1 PM so we took the shuttle around 10:30.

The line was long but after about an hour we got aboard. I got to meet Pete and Clifton, and saw Leo from a distance.

Pete (left) et moi.
IMG_0292.jpeg

Tally-Ho
IMG_5939.jpeg

By the time we got back to the festival, it was lunch time and it had gotten very crowded. We waited about 45 minutes to get a gyro and drink. We started on the second pier and found it pretty congested. The worst part was that every boat with a presenter also had some old, loud mouth gasbag monopolizing the presenter with either incessant questions or stories about himself in his glory days.

As an example, there was a lovely schooner, 35 -40 feet LOA, and I wanted to ask the owner about the challenges that a schooner rig places on interior arrangements. Instead, Gasbag #27 wanted to know every f**king detail about the bronze port lights.

By about 2:30, Mrs. Bull was out on her feet, and I was getting frustrated. We had hoped to meet up with Kim and iStream at the Off Center Harbor happy hour, but we headed back to Port Angeles where we're staying for a few days.

The wind is supposed to shift to SW tonight, so the smoke/haze may clear. If so we'll probably go to Hurricane Ridge in the afternoon.

If you haven't been to this part of the country, come for a visit. It is gorgeous.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Sorry we missed you and Mrs. Bull.

On Friday morning a couple of buddies and I left Seattle, tacked hard upwind in 15-20 all day, and pulled into a slip at the Boat Haven at sunset. It was one of the best days of sailing I've ever had. We fired up the grill, made steak sandwiches, enjoyed some good red wine in the cockpit, and hit the sack fairly early. My boat is no racer but she's earned her nickname of "The Vacation Machine" many times over.

The next morning I walked up to see Tally Ho shortly before opening to "beat the crowd", only to find that a huge crowd had thoroughly beaten me.

Rather than wait, I headed over to the Festival in the hopes that the TH crowd would thin a bit in the afternoon so I could get a little quality time with the TH crew. We walked 2/3 of the docks, which were crowded but still largely blowhard-free at that point (with the exception of a couple of owners). I had a "small world" moment with the owners of Sir Isaac, whom I'd met by chance in Victoria BC the week before and whose slip we'd been randomly assigned at the Boat Haven, then headed back to TH around noon and got in the hour-long line. Later in the day, we went back to the Festival to see the last dock and it was an absolute mob scene but I got to tour Tugzilla and had a nice chat with Mr. Devlin.

After that, we went to the happy hour and were the first in line for beers there. We grabbed some seats on the narrow, shady side of the deck and within 10 minutes the place was, you guessed it, a mob scene. Nevertheless, we met up briefly with Kim and the lovely SWMBO, I bumped into a friend from gradual school I hadn't seen in 20 years, and then headed over to Khu Larb for their typically fantastic Thai food and equally excellent service.

After two Covid-related cancellations, including last year just a week before it was supposed to happen, I suspect there was a ton of pent up demand for this Festival. I'm hoping next year will be a little calmer but I plan to come again regardless as it has now turned into an annual tradition for my friends and me. If you get a chance to come back out, please let me know!

Sir Isaac:
1662995829394.png

Back story:

Tugzilla:

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
........there was a lovely schooner, 35 -40 feet LOA, and I wanted to ask the owner about the challenges that a schooner rig places on interior arrangements............
Huge challenges. Panope (34' LOD) was schooner rigged for her first 20 years. Two problems: A mast right in the middle of the saloon precisely where the table should be, and another mast right in the middle of the V-berth, or what I called the "Chastity Berth".

If you just have to have two masts in this size boat, I say get a Ketch. It will go to weather better. Then again, having a mast in the cockpit is a bit of a pain.

For boats about 45' and above, a schooner makes perfect sense: the Fore Mast will be aft of a V-berth and the saloon will be large enough to not be ruined by the Main Mast.

Steve

hberg

This did not work out. They seem to have a minimum charge for 4 people, which I understand. No one else in our party are not interested, and that's too much of a premium.

To me, visiting the Puget Sound area for 2+ weeks, and not cruising the SJI's for 3 or 4 days would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower - maybe worse.

A lot of the other cruise operations are booked for September.

:(
There is a sailor who runs day trips in his sailboat out of Friday Harbor. For wildlife viewing and sightseeing it seems. It wouldn't be multiple days but could fit if nothing else works out for you. He does 8 hour, 5 hour, and 3 hour trips. Prices on the website below.

All Aboard Sailing
https://www.allaboardsailing.com/all-aboard-sailing-charters-nature-excursions/

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
We are in line for the Pt Townsend-Whidby Island ferry and on to Anacortes.

We had five days on the OP. After the WBF day, we went to Hurricane Ridge, which was very impressive. Amazing views of the Cascades. Yesterday we went to Hoh Rain Forest (Hall of Mosses) and Rialto Beach (foggy). We had a great meal back in Port Angeles at the Midtown Public House (beer and Korean pub food).

It has been a very nice trip so far. Mrs. Bull has been a trooper.

Tomorrow we go to Friday Harbor for 4 days and then Orcas Island for 3 days. I’m hoping to rent a Rhodes 19 in Orcas.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Huge challenges. Panope (34' LOD) was schooner rigged for her first 20 years. Two problems: A mast right in the middle of the saloon precisely where the table should be, and another mast right in the middle of the V-berth, or what I called the "Chastity Berth".

My junk schooner has the main mast in a tabernacle on the cabin top forward of frame 11 and the foremast just fwd of the cabin, in a tabernacle on the foredeck. Neither screw with the interior arrangement.

Of course that meant I had to have the offset companionway of death, so there is that.

FWIW...

FKT

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
We are in line for the Pt Townsend-Whidby Island ferry and on to Anacortes.

We had five days on the OP. After the WBF day, we went to Hurricane Ridge, which was very impressive. Amazing views of the Cascades. Yesterday we went to Hoh Rain Forest (Hall of Mosses) and Rialto Beach (foggy). We had a great meal back in Port Angeles at the Midtown Public House (beer and Korean pub food).

It has been a very nice trip so far. Mrs. Bull has been a trooper.

Tomorrow we go to Friday Harbor for 4 days and then Orcas Island for 3 days. I’m hoping to rent a Rhodes 19 in Orcas.
Will you be headed to Rosario?

Some Orcas must dos, give yourself at least half a day for Morran State Park and Mt Constitution, Rosario is part of package in visit, keep going to Olga to Artist gallery, then on to Doe bay for a look and food if time allows. Worth a drive to West sound and Deer Harbor, lots of boats to see. Ice cream in DH as well as sight seeing boats etc, also a couple sail charters, can walk or drive to Cayou key marina and look at boats as well. Nice harbor master and Staff in DH. West sound is a nice stop, family business for two generations, Betsy and Ian are both very good sailors as well so a good chat. If you like hardware stores Island Hardware is a good stop. East sound has many great restaurants not sure what all is open but plenty to do.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
@bmiller and @SASSAFRASS: We are staying quite close to Rosario (Discovery Way, Eastsound), so we should be able to see some of the places you suggest pretty easily. Thank you.

Orcas Island Sailing in Olga has a Rhodes 19 for rent. I'm planning/hoping to do that on the 20th or 21st.

Latest posts