Port vs. Starboard

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
I like maritme history, and the historical meaning of what we take for granted nowadays, BUT...

Sometimes I agree with Henry Ford's "history is bunk" observation.

We sail with what we got now. Starboard has right of way over port tack. The running lights help powerboats understand this at night and it makes sense, but between sailboats, it's not always gospel that red is privileged. Starboard tack run gives way to port tack close-hauled as they approach, even though the running boat is showing green to the beating boat's red.

This is why it's extra exciting to have the night watch near the coast..

.... it's not always gospel that red is privileged. Starboard tack run gives way to port tack close-hauled as they approach, even though the running boat is showing green to the beating boat's red.
This is why it's extra exciting to have the night watch near the coast..
I think you meant to say the starboard boat holds course with the port tack giving way.

Kind of goes against my understanding of the windward/leeward concept when you place the boats near a coast where the leeward boat might need the room to avoid grounding. But them's the rules.

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
You're right, I meant to say that as between sailing vessels, there is a situation where the boat coming from your starboard side (port tack, close hauled) has to yield to a boat running on starboard tack, even though the running boat is showing her green light to the close-hauled boat, and the beating boat is showing red. This is the situation where the old adage, "If you're on the right, you're in the right" doesn't apply.

Since I got it wrong at my desk, let's hope we get it right on a mid watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA
Kind of goes against my understanding of the windward/leeward concept when you place the boats near a coast where the leeward boat might need the room to avoid grounding. But them's the rules.
Given the speeds at which even FAST sailboats travel, I cannot imagine a situation where being leeward boat along a coast would matter for more than a few seconds at most. Let's face it, if you're really worried about grounding you've seriously fucked up somewhere along the way to find yourself in this spot.

Latest posts