Post-Ian Salvage

At the risk of being "too soon" - and my heart aches for all the damage done in beautiful Southern Florida to all the boats and marinas there and what the owners must be going through - what happens to the "totaled" yet salvageable boats? Are hulls saveable? Do hardware and interiors get stripped? By whom? Does it get sold or trashed? If so, how? I hate the idea of useable or recyclable/repurposable material ending up in landfills.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
When my brother was a diver, he used to occasionally get sent to help with hurricane cleanup. I asked him about that and he said that most everything went into the dumpster. No one had time to pick through the wreckage.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
If not too badly damaged lots will be sold at auction for pennies on the dollar as "hurricane damaged"

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
When I was in high school, my fiberglass mentor Gale Yount went to Texas and picked up a few flatbeds of damaged boats, brought them back to Noank, and repaired and sold them. Interiors, exteriors, they all looked brand new when he was done.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I would have to assume a lot of the easy to fix boats like center consoles get sold as salvages because our engine sales always skyrocket a few months after a big hurricane. (I work for Mercury)

Edit: They’re also a hell of a lot easier to salvage and haul away than a sailboat.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Many of the boats will be unloaded in fields where the insurance companies will hold suctions.
Others will go to dumps
Some people will strip off all the good stuff on their own boats
Many will take sails, electronics, self tailing winches, Genoa cars, shackles
Many have broken or missing masts, biminis, rudders

The cushions and anything that can soak up water are generally SUPER smelly and destroyed

Boats sitting leaned over generally have massive rot problems inside

Considering used boats sell for WAY LESS than new, and considering how much it costs to replace rigs, rudders, sails, cushions, and whatever else might be missing,

Hurricane damaged and totaled boats are rarely a great financial deal.

And… there are people who have the equipment to handle, the shop and staff to do the work, and specialize in sorting through storm boats and purchasing the most profitable fixer uppers.

Summary: You CAN find a deal and organize the process to get it to your workplace , refurbish it, and have a boat for yourself.
If you do not THOROUGHLY inspect the boat and lay out a complete plan before diving in, you may spend three times what you would spend to just go buy one just like it someplace else.

And… if you do not know how to do that inspection and make that complete plan, you will not have any idea what you are beginning.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
and for a modest Fee Gov will be there to guide you :)

I'll flick ya my acc details later Gov .
Actually, I wouldn’t be the right person to nail down all the prices unless the plan were to bring the boat to our shop and sail it on Lake Travis. .
Other shops charge wildly different prices than ours and for stuff like masts, cushions, and sails tge prices have to be established by the vendors.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
If not too badly damaged lots will be sold at auction for pennies on the dollar as "hurricane damaged"
Last time I was looking for hurricane damaged gear at discount prices, all I could find was big warehouse stores in Florida that charge about 10% less than new prices for stuff. Are there any places that offer decent prices on the used gear that comes off the wrecks?

nota

Anarchist
bought 4 boats in 2000 after a minor south fla storm

irwin 10-4 best deal 500 for the boat with a big hole in the side amidships had all sails 4 in very good shape and a savable 1 banger
mast down boom broken at mast ++ ton of gear and stuff

pearson alberg style 26 bad deck/hull join area 500 good spin other sails gone or trashed best sailboat of the lot least stuff

cape dory 25 mast down no sails 1200 no hull damage no stuff or gear

contest 30 old cca boat with new motor and busted wood stick 3500
lots of sails no hull damage

ins sales

plan was rent daysailors
sky high ins rates killed that idea
plus no swaping boats in the rented slip BS
boats sold or given away

If anyone is looking for a deal, we're pulling all the Furuno gear off our Hinckley. Pilot, Plotter, Radar, the whole lot. PM me if anyone is interested, it all still works beautifully, comes off over the next few weeks when we're in the yard.

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
bought 4 boats in 2000 after a minor south fla storm

irwin 10-4 best deal 500 for the boat with a big hole in the side amidships had all sails 4 in very good shape and a savable 1 banger
mast down boom broken at mast ++ ton of gear and stuff

pearson alberg style 26 bad deck/hull join area 500 good spin other sails gone or trashed best sailboat of the lot least stuff

cape dory 25 mast down no sails 1200 no hull damage no stuff or gear

contest 30 old cca boat with new motor and busted wood stick 3500
lots of sails no hull damage

ins sales

plan was rent daysailors
sky high ins rates killed that idea
plus no swaping boats in the rented slip BS
boats sold or given away
You should re post this in Bottom Feeder Anarchy

Latest posts