Prada Cup

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
He can comment but I expect him or one of his co-commentators or a friggin onscreen banner to preface or postscript his comments with "I am the CEO of North sails, North is an event sponsor & all the other teams are using my product" so that people understand that he has a strong conflict of interest in the subject.

There are laws about this in a lot of the jurisdictions he is being broadcast to where such a conflict of interest/sponsorship must be clearly disclosed.
If a sail looks bad, it looks bad

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
Here for the sailing insights, not the mud the mud throwing however I can share that Ian is under “guidance” to use course C unless he absolutely has to move it. $ponsors
Which is fair enough.  Afterall they've helped put on the show as well as the NZ Tax and Rate payer.  

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I'm afraid it is going to be two hours listening to the most inane bullshit from the commentators and human interest interviews of the beautiful people down at the Viaduct.
Jeeeebus. If I hear one more ode to how amazing American Magic's boat shop is, I'll go fuckin nuts.

Shame there's not a trophy for the hardest working boatbuilders. AM might have a chance in that one.

They'd better pull finger out there today, or fuck off home on the next freighter out.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Jeeeebus. If I hear one more ode to how amazing American Magic's boat shop is, I'll go fuckin nuts.

Shame there's not a trophy for the hardest working boatbuilders. AM might have a chance in that one.

They'd better pull finger out there today, or fuck off home on the next freighter out.
I’ve never seen such wonderful prose since Shakespeare 

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Sure but if the CEO of Norths whose products are on all the other teams is saying it they have to acknowledge that he's not a neutral observer.
It's not like they have tried to hide Kenny's position w/ North, IIRC it has been pointed out multiple times he is the CEO of North Sails.  He had a NS hat on in the interview yesterday.    Have to be pretty naive not to see NS logos on everyone else's sails and Quantum logos on the Doyle Sails AM is using.

porthos

Super Anarchist
Michigan, USA
Sure but if the CEO of Norths whose products are on all the other teams is saying it they have to acknowledge that he's not a neutral observer.
As bent as you are about this, I couldn't possibly care less. And, no, "they" don't have to acknowledge shit. KR can express whatever opinion he wants and it's up to the listener to give it weight or not. Or, I don't know, maybe mix in a google search.  Even so, KR has been remarkably even-handed in talking about all the teams. 

joeboy

Nunya
He's been introduced that way several times.

Is a big "KEN READ IS NOT A NEUTRAL OBSERVER WITH REGARD TO SAILS" banner supposed to pop up and flash every time he mentions sails? During a sailboat race?

Get off it.

porthos

Super Anarchist
Michigan, USA
He's been introduced that way several times.

Is a big "KEN READ IS NOT A NEUTRAL OBSERVER WITH REGARD TO SAILS" banner supposed to pop up and flash every time he mentions sails? During a sailboat race?

Get off it.
Can you imagine if we had those banners here. There'd be nothing BUT banners. I'd have a visual motor seizure.

Last edited by a moderator:
He can comment but I expect him or one of his co-commentators or a friggin onscreen banner to preface or postscript his comments with "I am the CEO of North sails, North is an event sponsor & all the other teams are using my product" so that people understand that he has a strong conflict of interest in the subject.

There are laws about this in a lot of the jurisdictions he is being broadcast to where such a conflict of interest/sponsorship must be clearly disclosed.

Edit: the same kinds of laws which are why the commentators apologised for DB swearing.

If they're acknowledging that jurisdiction they can fucking well acknowledge KRs conflict of interest.

I don't even necessarily disagree with his statements, its certainly nearly unheard of in sailing to rule-bend to enable smaller area, though I do understand the logic of attempting to minimise drag.
Are you kidding??? They’ve mentioned it a million times and you might be the only one seeing Ken’s comments as incentivized. Pull that stick out and enjoy the racing.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
They HAVE to say 'apologies for any bad language you heard' anytime one of the crew swears because they are broadcasting into jurisdictions where that is necessary.

And yes they HAVE to acknowledge conflict of interest unless they're absolutely certain they aren't being broadcast to any jurisdictions where it HAS to be disclosed.

Remember: the people running this broadcast think that a significant proportion of the viewership know so little about sailing that they need to have port-starboard rule constantly refreshed.

People who don't know port-starboard can't reasonably be expected to be aware that KR is Norths CEO.

porthos

Super Anarchist
Michigan, USA
They HAVE to say 'apologies for any bad language you heard' anytime one of the crew swears because they are broadcasting into jurisdictions where that is necessary.

And yes they HAVE to acknowledge conflict of interest unless they're absolutely certain they aren't being broadcast to any jurisdictions where it HAS to be disclosed.

Remember: the people running this broadcast think that a significant proportion of the viewership know so little about sailing that they need to have port-starboard rule constantly refreshed.

People who don't know port-starboard can't reasonably be expected to be aware that KR is Norths CEO.
What jurisdictions require disclosure of a potential conflict of interest by a sports commentator?