Prada Cup

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
It Ben could judge a too early bear away from his position he could have been steering, Shirley?
No, he couldn’t judge properly. Giles did bear down a bit early but then he hadn’t had much practice in battle. Tough call but fair and when Giles sees the replay he will agree with the call. 

crashtack

The real question is why did LR abandon the pre-start "push" in R2? Seemed to me like Ineos was early to the start and could have been forced to tack out or be pushed past the line. It worked out for them in the end but I was confused as to why they didn't pursue IUK more aggressively

Last edited by a moderator:

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
The real question is why did LR abandon the pre-start "push" in R2? Seemed to me like Ineos was early to the start and could have been forced to tack out or be pushed past the line. It worked out for them in the end but seemed confusing as to why they didn't pursue more aggressively
To me it looked like they would not have been able to get the hook.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
When I am ducking, I head straight toward the stern of the other boat. Is there some other thing that is better to do? Why can't Ben do that even if he is to windward when he knows he has to duck?

crashtack

When I am ducking, I head straight toward the stern of the other boat. Is there some other thing that is better to do? Why can't Ben do that even if he is to windward when he knows he has to duck?
Generally not a great idea in match/team racing, as putting your bow down early allows the stb boat to turn down and hunt you more easily. You want to wait until the last minute to take the duck so that they can't keep changing course without you having to "immediately" avoid. Might not be the case at 3x tws though

As for the start, LR doesn't need to actually get the hook in (overlap) to force IUK past the line

When I am ducking, I head straight toward the stern of the other boat. Is there some other thing that is better to do? 
Ideally for us mortals you bear off a touch early to build speed, come back up and cross Stbd tacker's transom as close as possible AND above normal closehauled course and above normal closehauled speed, returning to normal closehauled course when your speed drops to normal closehauled speed. You lose very little and have the Stbd tack advantage at next cross....but that's for boats that sail IN the water.

Well, eastily winds can be a bit strange round here. Low tide at 4:30ish. The gusts will be over the wind limit but, the middling winds will be spot on for some thrilling roundings.

Bank on 15 to 18 knots eastily winds. I haven't read which course they'll use but, course A or D will do. Course D will have leftover wind against tide chop. Course A will have high frequency short chop. 

As for the next three days. May as well mow the lawn as they'll be no racing. Best go down the marina and make sure stuff isn't gonna go all flappy and noisey. 
They mentioned D at the presser due to waves, you think an easterly swell plus chop will be up on course A? Anyone surfing yet on the Shore? I will mow the lawn if there is no racing. 

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Ideally for us mortals you bear off a touch early to build speed, come back up and cross Stbd tacker's transom as close as possible AND above normal closehauled course and above normal closehauled speed, returning to normal closehauled course when your speed drops to normal closehauled speed. You lose very little and have the Stbd tack advantage at next cross....but that's for boats that sail IN the water.
Doesn't make sense to me. I am closer if I am not on course when my bow passes their stern. As I pass their stern, I am heading up already since they are moving and I am coming up as they move, and since I am coming up as I pass their stern, the middle rest of my boat is closer than if I was on course when passing. And I was low and fast the whole time, so if I want to, I can go higher for a moment. I don't see how that's different for the AC75s.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Generally not a great idea in match/team racing, as putting your bow down early allows the stb boat to turn down and hunt you more easily. You want to wait until the last minute to take the duck so that they can't keep changing course without you having to "immediately" avoid. Might not be the case at 3x tws though

As for the start, LR doesn't need to actually get the hook in (overlap) to force IUK past the line
I guess I have not had much match experience, but if you are lower than the other boat, and especially if your head is at their stern, you can avoid the hunt. And I don't think BR was that early.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
They mentioned D at the presser due to waves, you think an easterly swell plus chop will be up on course A? Anyone surfing yet on the Shore? I will mow the lawn if there is no racing. 
Thought course E was their preferred choice should be announced soon.

Courses B and D are no longer in play.

Easterly 10 knots, rising to 15 knots in the morning, and to 20 knots north of Waiheke Island in the evening. Sea becoming moderate in the north from evening. Fine to start, becoming cloudy from afternoon. Northerly swell about half a metre or less.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Nice easterly for this afternoon's racing. Peak (24 knots) expected at about 1600hrs.

Let's see what INEOS is made of. No excuses today.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.16.54 AM.png

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
I guess I have not had much match experience, but if you are lower than the other boat, and especially if your head is at their stern, you can avoid the hunt. And I don't think BR was that early.
Never a good idea to match race someone in your fleet unless you are better than them and your boat is more agile.

A friend with a J30 who sails very well was getting pissed that I was nailing him at the starts of our 2 day Area Champs Regatta. I always do a port approach and make a hole and hold the fleet up then foot off and go.  This one start he thought he was going to match race me and he know I did almost 3 years of POW back in the late 70's. So he gets behind me as I am sailing away from the line trying to keep me from turning back. He wants to lead back. Some how I maneuvered so we switched places and he was trying to force me back to the line. I kept luffing and bearing off killing time and got back, dug in the line and he got buried. I ended up winning the class and I think he got 3rd. But only 1 point separated each 1,2,3 places. It was good racing for sure.

AKL wino

Auckland
Thought course E was their preferred choice should be announced soon.

Courses B and D are no longer in play.

Easterly 10 knots, rising to 15 knots in the morning, and to 20 knots north of Waiheke Island in the evening. Sea becoming moderate in the north from evening. Fine to start, becoming cloudy from afternoon. Northerly swell about half a metre or less.
Yes - racing on E today. Should be great....tide on its way out into the ENE now.

I count 25 total races thus far in the AC75 class boats (including ghosts).  I can only remember a couple where it was close at the finish.  Maybe I'm wrong is anyone keeping track?