Pre race rituals?

Bowchow

Anarchist
I've found that when I just barely make the gun or I'm late to the boat park and barely make it out, I tend to perform much better....

So this means that when I don't think about it and just do it naturally I do better.

Anyone else have similar tendencies? How have you dealt with them?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Ha, being a "bell tapper" certainly doesn't work for me. Whether singlehanding or with crew, I feel rushed and unprepared when I show up to the line right as my sequence starts.

20 minutes early at a minimum, run the line, throw in some practice tacks and triple-check the forecast vs. actual conditions.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Or it could be that since you are not bobbing around the start line for 20 minutes nobody is looking at you, nobody is thinking about you and perhaps nobody is focusing on you and then for the remainder of the race nobody is thinking about you so you get to sail your race the way you want to while the rest of the fleet doodles around with each other.

I've often found that it's very advantageous to have the rest of the fleet focusing on each other and leaving me alone. Sometimes I can get them to interact and fight for positioning with each other while I make good towards the finish.

either way

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I find that when we barely make the gun we perform pretty poorly. Usually because people are so stressed about making it to the start that it takes a while to settle into race mode. Also, not having time to absorb what the course is going to be, what the wind is doing, what our strategy is going to be, who showed up for the race, and that pre-race leak off the transom means we're usually a step under-prepared compared to our competition.

trimfast

Anarchist
I've found that when I just barely make the gun or I'm late to the boat park and barely make it out, I tend to perform much better....

So this means that when I don't think about it and just do it naturally I do better.

That is also why a few beers help. Don't think, just react.

my only pre race ritual is try and take a good shit before i leave the house. the PRD is a vital part of race prepping.

otherwise, and it took me a long time to accept this... get to the boat park earleir and get your sailing shit together so you can be calm throughout the day. still fuck it up quite often but at least i now accept its the right thing to do. i are not a morning person.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
I like to get out to the start early, take a couple of windshots, and more importantly see what the RC is up to. Always have to keep an eye on them as you can never be 100% sure what they may do, quick horns, late course changes, etc.

Of course, a PRB to take the edge off and go into the start relaxed and calm as can be.

Movable Ballast

Anarchist
San Diego
A PRB (pre race beer) or two has been a part of my ritual for years. I like to be out early 30-40 mins to get the chute and down, put in a few tacks and checkout the course. We always do better this way. Being late puts me on the back foot.

notallthere

Super Anarchist
im on a boat!
Apples are a thinking mans food. I always have them on dinghys. In one fleet I race in, about 5 teams base their time schedule for gearing up and leaving the dock off each others movements in the boatpark. Whenever one team is not there or running late, it messes all of us up, but it still seems to always work out!

trimfast

Anarchist
my only pre race ritual is try and take a good shit before i leave the house. the PRD is a vital part of race prepping.

otherwise, and it took me a long time to accept this... get to the boat park earleir and get your sailing shit together so you can be calm throughout the day. still fuck it up quite often but at least i now accept its the right thing to do. i are not a morning person.
Always pregame dump. Not juts sailing, but all life. Interviews, dates, any important event.

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Don't skimp on drink the night before - keeps you focused in the morning

Put on socks that you have won in or done well in before (even if they have holes), they are usually in the bag.

Try to arrive at the boat first - chamois the rig

5 tacks, 5 gybes, relax, and time the line.

Car Ramrod

Anarchist
Vermont

Always bring passport

coyotepup

Anarchist
Michigan
On one OPB I sail on, we have a much higher chance of fucking up the race if we don't go through the ritual of physically pointing the boat toward every course heading and doing a quick mental walkthrough of our maneuvers. Leg 1 will be a beat with stbd rounding, leg 2 will be a tack then chute hoist on a beamy-ish reach, etc.

surf nazi

Super Anarchist

This means that you are sailing against a bunch of hacks. Let me guess, local phrf fleet ? There is no way that you sail/ perform better being rushed and having no information/ observation about the wind, current, line or boat speed.

Sailing is a thinking game. Physicality becomes important in dinghies in big breeze but the reason fit sailors do well in the breeze is that they can handle the physical aspect and still think and make good decisions.

There is nothing wrong with sailing in your local hack fleet and having fun and drinking your pre race beers or smoking your doobies but don't let those mind altering drugs make you think you are sailing better...you are not. you are just sailing better than the other clowns.

Latest posts