Protocol for the 37th America’s Cup

Gissie

Super Anarchist
One piece of the puzzle

America's Cup teams forced to open doors

Although the term reality show is cringeworthy, behind the scenes will be fascinating. Probably modeled after the huge interest on this very forum, I heard they will feature a "from the cellar"segment highlighting the goss of the day from SA.
The huge interest from this place will add 13 people. As for the goss of the day, might need to either have psychiatric help available for the person making the comment or a big bleep button.

barfy

Super Anarchist
I never saw any of the tiger king shows, but the plot arc could read the same.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
FWIW,

Tom Ehman says AC37 Protocol Announcement might come from the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes this Wednesday, Nov 17th - AND surprisingly not from Auckland.

In a way this would make sense given that Auckland is still under "Semi-Lockdown".

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
FWIW,

Tom Ehman says AC37 Protocol Announcement might come from the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes this Wednesday, Nov 17th - AND surprisingly not from Auckland.

In a way this would make sense given that Auckland is still under "Semi-Lockdown".
Would also divert attention away from Auckland when the announcement doesn't include a venue, date or design rule

Gissie

Super Anarchist
FWIW,

Maybe Cowes bunged Dalton some cash to host the announcement. :ph34r:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
256366767_6803989582959369_8107996357514306749_n.png

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Midcoast Maine
I hope you are right. At a time when at least one key AC team seems to be struggling financially, the question is how easy it will be to open the money spigot for this expanded AC-related event.

The whole concept is appealing, but it also had a lot in common with the SailGP approach, which still depends for survival on the financial largess of a single individual, at least to this point.

it is very expensive to run events of this type. Ask Russell Coutts.
It is appealing. I don’t follow this stuff all too closely but IIRC the plan was to build 7 of the AC9Fs, all in NZ with funding from China, and swap them between the competing teams. I recall not understanding how they would train on the boat but it was similar to other classes. Is the plan here to do the same with the AC40, or to get the teams to buy the boat? The AC40 has got to be multiple seven figures. How many youth teams are really going to buy a multimillion dollar boat and fund the operations of it, vs competing in an existing class? Especially after the AC9F getting scuttled and the AC in general being an unpredictable shitshow?

A women's competition I could see teams getting sponsor funding. But IMHO the optics suck. Dalton basically saying the women have to compete on a little all electric boat. This is the 21st century. It’s asinine. If I was a female match racing competitor I think I would call bullshit on this. 

AC9F and AC40 seem to me less about diversity and more about Dalton et al building an ancillary boat building business.

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
It is appealing. I don’t follow this stuff all too closely but IIRC the plan was to build 7 of the AC9Fs, all in NZ with funding from China, and swap them between the competing teams. I recall not understanding how they would train on the boat but it was similar to other classes. Is the plan here to do the same with the AC40, or to get the teams to buy the boat? The AC40 has got to be multiple seven figures. How many youth teams are really going to buy a multimillion dollar boat and fund the operations of it, vs competing in an existing class? Especially after the AC9F getting scuttled and the AC in general being an unpredictable shitshow?

A women's competition I could see teams getting sponsor funding. But IMHO the optics suck. Dalton basically saying the women have to compete on a little all electric boat. This is the 21st century. It’s asinine. If I was a female match racing competitor I think I would call bullshit on this. 

AC9F and AC40 seem to me less about diversity and more about Dalton et al building an ancillary boat building business.
The earlier statements said they expect teams to buy the boat.

I think he is trying to get a cut from the sail of the AC40s somehow. Whether that is licensing the design or building them I don't know. 

I agree with the rest

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
SGP has teams with no money and an organiser/backer with money to burn. The spin-off AC37 classes are in exactly the opposite situation. It's not the same at all.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
SGP has teams with no money and an organiser/backer with money to burn. The spin-off AC37 classes are in exactly the opposite situation. It's not the same at all.
Not the same in funding, but in terms of audience they are competing for they are the same.

Though sometimes competing events can raise audiences for each other

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Are they? We are talking about SGP versus the AC37 spin-off classes. You think the same audience for (arguably) the best sailors in the is also likely to watch youth and women's teams?