Protocol for the 37th America’s Cup

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Are they? We are talking about SGP versus the AC37 spin-off classes. You think the same audience for (arguably) the best sailors in the is also likely to watch youth and women's teams?
But the spin-off class is also allegedly going have a men's series before the Ac37 proper. I would assume they would run all 3 at the same venues and dates (the logistics being ridiculous otherwise). So yes, I do think they will compete.

And in any case who watches youth rugby? Pretty much a subset of those who watch men's rugby

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
The RNZYS website is down under going maintenance, must be getting ready for the announcement. 

https://www.rnzys.org.nz/

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Midcoast Maine
Are they? We are talking about SGP versus the AC37 spin-off classes. You think the same audience for (arguably) the best sailors in the is also likely to watch youth and women's teams?
What evidence is there that there will be interest on the part of top female sailors in being relegated to a “chick boat” that was also designed for children? I expect the response will be something along the lines of “fuck you, Grant.”

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Well, the protocol might say teams have to provide a women's team, in which case those top women might take the cash from the teams. Don't know but would not surprise me.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Well, the protocol might say teams have to provide a women's team, in which case those top women might take the cash from the teams. Don't know but would not surprise me.
I'm not sure. Its not like there are so much other long term paid race sailing roles. They may take the roles and hope to make it more equal from within

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
What evidence is there that there will be interest on the part of top female sailors in being relegated to a “chick boat” that was also designed for children? I expect the response will be something along the lines of “fuck you, Grant.”
Exactly.  The top female sailors in the world will not want to race in a dumbed down boat.  It infers they are not capable of sailing the real boat.  None of those sailors got to where they are by shying away from competition or doubting their abilities.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
It is appealing. I don’t follow this stuff all too closely but IIRC the plan was to build 7 of the AC9Fs, all in NZ with funding from China, and swap them between the competing teams. I recall not understanding how they would train on the boat but it was similar to other classes. Is the plan here to do the same with the AC40, or to get the teams to buy the boat? The AC40 has got to be multiple seven figures. How many youth teams are really going to buy a multimillion dollar boat and fund the operations of it, vs competing in an existing class? Especially after the AC9F getting scuttled and the AC in general being an unpredictable shitshow?

A women's competition I could see teams getting sponsor funding. But IMHO the optics suck. Dalton basically saying the women have to compete on a little all electric boat. This is the 21st century. It’s asinine. If I was a female match racing competitor I think I would call bullshit on this. 

AC9F and AC40 seem to me less about diversity and more about Dalton et al building an ancillary boat building business.
“AC9F and AC40 seem to me less about diversity and more about Dalton et al building an ancillary boat building business.”

^^^^^This^^^^^^. You can put good money on Dalton getting a piece of each boat sold and probably those regattas as well.  He’s has basically taken the business model of organized crime and applied it to the AC

Is there a link yet?

And is the presser being broadcast live at the top of the hour at some link? 
Page 28 - These potentially required $2M hydrogen powered support vessels in the protocol is a load of hydrogen poop.  They serve no purpose other than to drive up the cost of the event. They will only be good for bringing a cup of tea and bread & butter to the sailors during tea-time

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Page 28 - These potentially required $2M hydrogen powered support vessels in the protocol is a load of hydrogen poop.  They serve no purpose other than to drive up the cost of the event. They will only be good for bringing a cup of tea and bread & butter to the sailors during tea-time
They are required to be 10M length, right?

I actually like the hydropower idea.