Protocol for the 37th America’s Cup

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
I like the idea. Teams get to add solar energy to grinder output. 
Perhaps, not sure the added weight will make them quicker though...

A human can generate at least as much power as a 1 m2 solar PV panel on a sunny day — and as much as 10 m2 of solar PV panels on a heavy overcast day.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.

A human can generate at least as much power as a 1 m2 solar PV panel on a sunny day — and as much as 10 m2 of solar PV panels on a heavy overcast day.
If you can match a good 1 m2 solar panel over 8 hrs on a sunny day, then, uhm, you might end up in the ICU.

A very fit person can match it for the period of a short race, but if you add energy storage then the human will need to eat a lot of spaghetti.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
The weight need not necessarily be a disadvantage because there is a specified all up mass. So if you can build the hull lighter then you might as well add something that contributes rather than inert ballast.

On the other hand you would have to design the boat such that it could work without any solar power, otherwise you are screwed on a rainy day. Especially if Cork is the venue.

I would also point out that there is a large shadow creator stuck out the top of the boat, so you would have to assume that even on a sunny day you can only get 50% energy that a good shore site would

barfy

Super Anarchist

So manoeuvres would be expensive and grinders tired on heavy overcast. Not saying replace a human hamster, but have some extra jam like when oracle used the mountain bike  :rolleyes:

Maybe it's greenwashing, but as the Engineer says, maybe next time.

As for shadows, These designers thought it out..

yysw266432.jpg

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I know you weren't being serious with the Hugo Boss shot, but its actually a good counter point to putting panels on an AC boat. The IMOCAs can (and largerly do to varing amounts) cover themselves in solar and even they don't rely on it for their power needs, and they are only driving electronics, occasional keel canting and autopilot, nothing like the power needs of a fully hydraulic AC72

Last edited by a moderator:

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
So manoeuvres would be expensive and grinders tired on heavy overcast. Not saying replace a human hamster, but have some extra jam like when oracle used the mountain bike  :rolleyes:

Maybe it's greenwashing, but as the Engineer says, maybe next time.

View attachment 484134
Well Schakel, at least you've found something else besides herbie for this moron to fixate on.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I know you weren't being serious with the Hugo Boss shot, but its actually a good counter point to putting panels on an AC boat. The IMOCAs can (and largerly do to varing amounts) cover themselves in solar and even they don't rely on it for their power needs, and they are only driving electronics, occasional keel canting and autopilot, nothing like the power needs of a fully hydraulic AC72
Do any of them have solar collectors embedded into their sails?

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Not that I'm aware? A mini did and maybe a class 40? I know IMOCAs are restricted in sail material slightly (no carbon fibre) [to ensure sat comms work I believe?] and I'm not sure they'd take unproven tech which could affect performance (solar on the deck is just a bit of weight, but solar on a sail could cause drama with the laminar flow across the sails).

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
solar on a sail could cause drama with the laminar flow across the sails
Sure, could be.

With sunlight coming from where it most often does (not directly above) it's a fun enough question to think about, even if not for such battery-intensive boats as what AC75s are.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Could be correct but that would surprise me. I once tried pedaling a 'power' bike that would as a demonstration light and keep lit a 60W bulb and it was hard work!

Am about to replace an all-glass sunroom/solarium and the one bid I looked into that involved doing the roof with solar instead of glass was seriously expensive, and while a cool thing it would not repay in my likely lifetime :)  In a different climate and one with more-expensive utility power, then maybe.

On a recent flight from Rome to London for a transit I had a window view and on approach there was an amazing amount of warehouses visible, with solar paneled roofs. It must pay, even there. 

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
.. it would not repay in my likely lifetime :)  In a different climate and one with more-expensive utility power, then maybe.
ot but yes. the key is to generate just enough power to eliminate the highest tiered price. for example, where I live is both sunny and has expensive power, but only the highest tier. so, knocking that off with just a handful of panels nets a positive investment in about 7 years. 

most folks just think more is better. but that's mostly not how it works.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
The UK has been quite successfully moving over to clean sources of energy despite not being the sunniest of areas. There are a fair number of solar farms but wind turbines generate much more.

Maybe the AC would be better using wind power than solar?

accnick

Super Anarchist
The UK has been quite successfully moving over to clean sources of energy despite not being the sunniest of areas. There are a fair number of solar farms but wind turbines generate much more.

Maybe the AC would be better using wind power than solar?
Wind power, on a sailboat?

Chance in a million!