PSA: Fuck expedia

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
I've had issues with 3rd party hotel booking. Once time I totally was given the wrong room and the other time my room was given away.

For the latter incident I was left without accommodations with a high school sailing team in Chicago the same weekend the Cubs won the world series. That was a pain in the ass.

I've just decided to spend a few bucks extra booking with the actual hotel. When traveling with a team I started booking VRBO or Airbnb

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
this has been going on for quite a while

You may have already noticed this yourself, but if not ...

Last few aircraft bookings I saw the price and it looked good but had to make phone calls to the people on the other end first. Went back not long after and the price had increased 50% even though the same number of seats were still available.

The 'algorithm' assumed that if you came back and looked at the same fight a second time it meant you had decided to buy.

Haven't been flying for a couple of years, but next time I will do all the arrangements first and book first visit to the website.

I've had issues with 3rd party hotel booking. Once time I totally was given the wrong room and the other time my room was given away.

For the latter incident I was left without accommodations with a high school sailing team in Chicago the same weekend the Cubs won the world series. That was a pain in the ass.

I've just decided to spend a few bucks extra booking with the actual hotel. When traveling with a team I started booking VRBO or Airbnb
I have stopped using 3rd party booking on many things. Last year booked thru Orbitz which I used extensively for a car rental in a remote location and had a confirmation number. Ubered to the Hertz location Sunday morning opening. No car.

What do you mean ? I have a confirmation number?! I have a 300 mile drive!.
Oh, sorry we just dont have any cars.
What?
Sometimes the 3rd parties dont actually check to see if we have available cars.
WTF?
If one of our regular customers calls to cancel a res, one may come available. But they usually dont call.

I was basically screwed. Nothing else was available anywhere. I waited a few hours and when a group came in with basically the same problem and was abusive to the clerk, he winked and gave me the car that was suppose to go to them.

On the other hand I had great success with Hotwire hotels paying upfront the same day. Usually got 50 pct off quoted rates. You can pick your star quality and location, you just dont get to pick which hotel.

You have to double and triple check everything. Travel just aint what it used to be. Nothing is what it used to be.

Last edited:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
NEVER EVER FLY AA unless they are the ONLY option.
Rude, inflexible, nasty, expensive...... Did I mention rude?...
I'd rather fly Aero Maybego (Aeromexico) than AA.
I like flying AA, but only because my aunt worked for them for years and gets me “buddy passes.” I have to fly stand by, but my last trip from Milwaukee to Barcelona and back only cost me $180 to fly first class. It makes the frustration worth it.

I’d never pay retail with them. I also have a personal hatred for Southwest, but that goes back to one particular flight about 20 years ago.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
You may have already noticed this yourself, but if not ...

Last few aircraft bookings I saw the price and it looked good but had to make phone calls to the people on the other end first. Went back not long after and the price had increased 50% even though the same number of seats were still available.

The 'algorithm' assumed that if you came back and looked at the same fight a second time it meant you had decided to buy.

Haven't been flying for a couple of years, but next time I will do all the arrangements first and book first visit to the website.
I have seen this as well.... I use Incognetio... or two browsers when booking.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
NEVER EVER FLY AA unless they are the ONLY option.
Rude, inflexible, nasty, expensive...... Did I mention rude?...
I'd rather fly Aero Maybego (Aeromexico) than AA.
I hate American, it's my least favorite airline on the planet. But sometimes, when you're flying to someplace like Tallahassee which seems to be served by three (3) airlines, your choices are limited.

Fun Fact: One of my first freelance articles was something I ghost wrote called "Why I don't want my parents to fly on American Airlines" in which I got to research why American sucks for Seniors, and take them down for things like shrinking the bathrooms so hard that older people will struggle to get in and out of them, and having a "Senior Discount Policy" that is advertised but virtually impossible to actually use.

I got paid for it, but they almost didn't need to pay me, that was so fun.