Public Address System Anarchy

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Since the other requests for advice have worked pretty well: 

As noted in the Bass(ic) thread the wife's retiring and asking for the husbands to play in June at the HOA clubhouse (5000 ft^2) We added her younger son on bass, and that yields lead, rhythm, drums, bass and possible keyboard if the last sister's husband dusts off his childhood piano skills. Figure that we need 3-5 microphones to accommodate the various singers. 

Mixer Math: 

Taking drums either as a direct feed from the Roland TD-17 module, or a MIDI--> DAW-->VST yields stereo audio line level. 

Add up the guitars & bass fed from their pedal board --> amp--> line outs = 3 more line levels 

Keyboard would be 2 more as stereo

so 7 line levels to a mixer, along with 3-5 microphones and possibly a wireless microphone (line level) and auxiliary input(s) for breaks. 

Default choice for mixer would be a Behringer XR 18 Air. with 16 inputs, and 6 buss outputs as well as the MIDI interface to allow DAW & VST. Ability to control through Wifi from Ipad is a big plus to remove need for a front of house sound person. 

Speaker Selection:

Rhythm Guitarist and lead vocals has an older Bose L1 PA, not sure if it's an S1 or S2. As of October the new "PRO" models came out, with 8,16,32 speakers in the linear array and choice of the lower unit as single, double or larger subwoofer. He also apparently has an F1/812 stack as well. I'd like to invest in complementary speakers, so that we can have a (near) pair to use for this gig, and I can have a decent setup for annoying my neighbors when we play in house or for community open mike nights. 

Questions: 

• Any "Better" choices on a mixer for the inputs listed and reasonable expansion? 

Any point in having a Bose TS4 to manage the speakers ? 

[*]Anyone out there have the Bose L1 old +/or new ? 

[*]Any reason to match the old or will the new be close enough? 

[*]At what point do I match the F1 vs the L1 ? 

[*]For the $1000 investment in the Bose, (and the value of the sunk costs of the Rhythm guy's set) any compelling better speakers? 

Last edited by a moderator:

IStream

Super Anarchist

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Working on it. 
lynyrd skynyrd, some modern country 
Here's a compilation, sorted by tempo, Not Necessarily in performance order. Exigencies of tuning/capo and building momentum need to be observed. 

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Refining the PA questions a bit: 

likely going with the Behringer XR18 digital mixer; more than sufficient inputs, tablet control of 6 aux sends to allow hybrid speaker use and monitor mixes. 

Have available a Bose FI stack and an older L1 Compact.  Initial venue is 25x50x16 foot on 2nd floor of a 75x75 foot building with open central staircase

Model

List

Hi watts

Sub watts

Weight

Inputs

Lo Speaker  size

Low -3dB

Speakers

Bose

L1 Pro 8 

7x13

Bose

L1 Pro 16

$1,800

10 x 18

Bose

L1 Compact 

Bose

Sub1 

7x13

Bose

F1 812

$2,000

Bose

F1 Sub

2-10

Looking towards the L1 Pro 16 as it's got nearly the same bottom end as the F1 stack, but weighs half as much.  Should we be fortunate enough to be playing larger venues, the F1 stack can be replicated. 

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
I know nothing about what you are asking, but:

1. In the midst of a global pandemic, is this really a good idea?

2. I have been to quite a number of live performances in my lifetime.  Any number of them were ruined by some narcissist thinking *he* was the most important member of the band and had to have the volume loudest.  Please make sure someone with some skill actually balances each musician (and the drummer).   (little joke there)

3.  Yeah, I am old.  But turn the volume down.  I am not 17 years old going to hear the 'wall of sound'.  I want to hear the music but don't want to shout to be heard and have ringing in my ears for three days afterwards.   If you want people to have fun and come back again, ask THEM what volume is appropriate not what you think is appropriate.  

Did I say I am old?  Yeah, I am.  Turn down the volume.  Here's another thought:  in a small room you don't NEED amplifiers.  All acoustic; live and unplugged.  

One of my lasting memories was at a concert where the lead singer turned off all the electronics and sang a capalla for an entire song.  He had a voice that could fill a small auditorium.  It was stunningly good.  Yeah, I am old.   

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
3.  Yeah, I am old.  But turn the volume down.  I am not 17 years old going to hear the 'wall of sound'.  I want to hear the music but don't want to shout to be heard and have ringing in my ears for three days afterwards.   
Just stay home Bommer. I think Larence Welk is still on TV. 

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
I know nothing about what you are asking, but: No reason to let ignorance hamper your participation, it's quite common on this board. 

1. In the midst of a global pandemic, is this really a good idea? Discussing which amplifier to buy, to use at a private party in 5 months? I'd say reasonable. Being as how the cohort that I am in (60 < me < 70) will be eligible for vaccine in a few weeks, quite likely that it's essentially over, though probably not in the "blue states" where they have managed to muck most of this up. 

2. I have been to quite a number of live performances in my lifetime.  Any number of them were ruined by some narcissist thinking *he* was the most important member of the band and had to have the volume loudest.  Please make sure someone with some skill actually balances each musician (and the drummer).   (little joke there)  No need to refer to yourself as a little joke, the first disclaimer was sufficient,  even with your Canadian culture. Regarding Narcissists, aka Lead guitar and Lead vocalist; the purpose of a PA with a mixer is that they don't get to set their own volume, except on their monitor... The Ipad access is to allow for tuning as need be if they boost their signal 

3.  Yeah, I am old.  But turn the volume down.  I am not 17 years old going to hear the 'wall of sound'.  I want to hear the music but don't want to shout to be heard and have ringing in my ears for three days afterwards.   If you want people to have fun and come back again, ask THEM what volume is appropriate not what you think is appropriate.  I'm old enough that I really don't care about frequency response above 10kHz, but I do care that the party be fun... Reason to be looking for the appropriate tools, is that the sound can be managed... 

Did I say I am old?  Yeah, I am.  Turn down the volume.  Here's another thought:  in a small room you don't NEED amplifiers.  All acoustic; live and unplugged.  

One of my lasting memories was at a concert where the lead singer turned off all the electronics and sang a capalla for an entire song.  He had a voice that could fill a small auditorium.  It was stunningly good.  Yeah, I am old.   Acapella is fine if that's your thing, my wife wants to dance. The band so far is Husband, Son, and two brother's in law... The third brother in law may be roped into putting his childhood piano skills to use. We have the talent we have, and will make use of reinforcement, reverb, compression, and equalization to make it sound the best we can.