Puerto Rico

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Wild guess here Saorsa, but you don't like the darkies either?  

Where do you live, there has to be an open season for close-minded idiot racists.?

Last edited by a moderator:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Puerto Rico can go to Wiki and find links to the Miami-Dade building code for free.  It's now in its 5th edition.  They could start adapting their own building code immediately and build all public buildings to that code.  They could also design them to be or incorporate shelter facilities.  They could have done this just about any time once the code was developed after Hurricane Andrew (1992).

Puerto Ricans (other than federal employees) don't pay income tax.  The US government refunds all fuel taxes collected in Puerto Rico to their general fund.

If you drink Rum (and who here does not) Puerto Rico and the USVI get money for it.  100 percent of the federal alcohol tax on rums they produce is refunded to the islands.  In fact, if you drink imported rum, they get a cut too.  It's called the Rum Cover-over.

The largest employer in Puerto Rico is the government.  WTF are Puerto Ricans getting for that?

The PR government hasn't even made the effort to document land ownership which makes FEMA aid not only difficult but illegal.
great stuff, i can rebuild my house with a CODE!! don't need timber or concrete or pipes...silly me!

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
The largest employer in Moocher Mississippi is the govmint too. With a population of 3M, they have 28,000 state workers. Add to that another 11,554 active duty military and 8,840 military civilians. I'm not even going to add up the local govmint workers. WTF are the Moochers getting for that?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Largest employer in the US? Dept of Defense.  3m

2nd, Fed Govt, 2m (excluding USPS)

3rd, Walmart

The Minister has lost a step now that dementia is taking over...

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Anyone with a critical eye will say as I do, there are a lot of people watching Jerry and Maury.  The DoD can shrink by 10% without missing a beat.  

Olsonist

New Oak City
image.png

The outliers here are Washington (Boeing), Nevada (MGM Resorts), Colorado (Denver International Airport !) and Maine (Hannaford Supermarkets which I'd never heard of) and New Jersey (Wakefern Foods which I'd never heard of).

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
That's really interesting because it says it is a chart of ONLY private employers (see the subtitle that runs from the Pacific to North Dakota?).  Although, I'm not sure how all those state owned universities get counted as private employers, or Denver international Airport which is owned by the City and County of Denver.  I'm guessing a lot of those medical operations are set up as non-profit too.

Looks like Walmart* is one of the nations biggest taxpayers.

Olsonist

New Oak City
University of California isn't a private company. So that label is mistaken. I would need evidence that Walmart is one of the nation's largest taxpayers. Customers pay sales tax so that doesn't count. Employees pay FICA so that doesn't count.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
University of California isn't a private company. So that label is mistaken. I would need evidence that Walmart is one of the nation's largest taxpayers. Customers pay sales tax so that doesn't count. Employees pay FICA so that doesn't count.
Don’t count on Walmart for paying full fare on their property taxes either. 

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
That's really interesting because it says it is a chart of ONLY private employers (see the subtitle that runs from the Pacific to North Dakota?).  Although, I'm not sure how all those state owned universities get counted as private employers, or Denver international Airport which is owned by the City and County of Denver.  I'm guessing a lot of those medical operations are set up as non-profit too.

Looks like Walmart* is one of the nations biggest taxpayers.
How much does the states and fed subsidize WalMart workers who get paid minimum wage and kept at part time?  I am sure this helps WM's bottom line.  It would be interesting to see that number compared to their corporate taxes.  I am too lazy to look.

Olsonist

New Oak City
Of the 58 counties in California, only Amador, Butte, Del Norte, Glenn, Humbolt, Imperial, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Mendocino, Merced, Napa, San Joaquin, Shasta, Siskiyou, Solano, Sutter, Tehama, Tulare, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba, 23 counties, list Walmart as even one of their largest employers.

https://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/majorer/MajorER.asp

As for local signifiers in the SF Bay Area, where you find Whole Foods (now Amazon) you generally don't find Walmart and vice versa.

image.png

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/03/11/map_whole_foods_vs_walmart_in_the_bay_area.html

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Puerto Rico can go to Wiki and find links to the Miami-Dade building code for free.  It's now in its 5th edition.  They could start adapting their own building code immediately and build all public buildings to that code.  They could also design them to be or incorporate shelter facilities.  They could have done this just about any time once the code was developed after Hurricane Andrew (1992).

Puerto Ricans (other than federal employees) don't pay income tax.  The US government refunds all fuel taxes collected in Puerto Rico to their general fund.

If you drink Rum (and who here does not) Puerto Rico and the USVI get money for it.  100 percent of the federal alcohol tax on rums they produce is refunded to the islands.  In fact, if you drink imported rum, they get a cut too.  It's called the Rum Cover-over.

The largest employer in Puerto Rico is the government.  WTF are Puerto Ricans getting for that?

The PR government hasn't even made the effort to document land ownership which makes FEMA aid not only difficult but illegal.
Either you truly do not understand, or you're being willfully obtuse.

I don't play that game.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
The label isn't mistaken it's bullshit.  An outright lie.

Here is a list of the largest employer in every county in Alabama.  Wal-mart doesn't show up in any of them.  It is possible that at the state level, it may be true.  But, they do at least pay property tax.  And the folks at the bottom of the pay scale in all those medical centers are subsidized as much as any Wal-mart employee.

According to another report, direct from Alabama, government is the largest employer in Alabama.  But, they do count local, state, and federal.

Every report I found making that claim went back to a study by 24/7 Wall Street.  Whether it's true or not, nationwide there are a couple of million folks with jobs.  Given the demand for truck drivers I'd bet all those truck drivers aren't  making minimum wage and the distribution center in the Desoto County FL was advertising for workers at $15.85 an hour two years ago.

You might want to look into working conditions at Amazon before jumping on Wal-marts case.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
The label isn't mistaken it's bullshit.  An outright lie.

Here is a list of the largest employer in every county in Alabama.  Wal-mart doesn't show up in any of them.  It is possible that at the state level, it may be true.  But, they do at least pay property tax.  And the folks at the bottom of the pay scale in all those medical centers are subsidized as much as any Wal-mart employee.

According to another report, direct from Alabama, government is the largest employer in Alabama.  But, they do count local, state, and federal.

Every report I found making that claim went back to a study by 24/7 Wall Street.  Whether it's true or not, nationwide there are a couple of million folks with jobs.  Given the demand for truck drivers I'd bet all those truck drivers aren't  making minimum wage and the distribution center in the Desoto County FL was advertising for workers at $15.85 an hour two years ago.

You might want to look into working conditions at Amazon before jumping on Wal-marts case.
Govt is the largest employer in the US. And the issue in PR is?

hermetic

Super Anarchist
ok - i'll bite, how are my local and real estate taxes (ny) going to be affected by the tax cut?

and don't move the goalpost to fed deductibility
Your state and local govts get funding from federal tax dollars for projects/infrastructure. IE: A bridge needs replacing. The local govt. puts up a bond issue which gets approved, but is still 3,000,000 below expected costs. So the state puts up the remaining cost, dependent on federal highway funding..... If the feds don't pay the state, the state don't pay the locals, the locals don't get a bridge..... But the bridge is essential. So local bond issue gets increased (Mill rate goes up) the state picks up the lions share, but your state property taxes/ sales taxes are going to pay for it. maybe funds diverted from project A: to project Z: but none the less your state, and local taxes will be affected.
nice try, but where did the tax cut influence any of this?  my mill rate pays to town / school/ village - there is no "state property tax" - that's called nys income tax, and that ain't a local tax.  when nys wants to build / fix / maintain they don't hit my property tax because there is no path from the mill rate to the state.  the mill rate is the only local tax.

don't feel bad, cuomo has changed his tune as well - he's now (properly) saying that the tax cut will cause ny'ers to 'pay more taxes'

and now that he's essentially won re-election, he'll also step back from the far left cliff and stop all the noise about suing on behalf of pr

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
The actual 'study'.

It's apparent that most of you have NOT read it. 

I suggest you do.   Facts are... (according to the report) Puerto Rico's government fail at:   Death certificate procedures (which explains the FEMA funeral issues),  Severely outdated emergency plans or lack there of, and had a poor infrastructure to begin with.  

To use the federal response as a political sword is sickening.   To use an estimated number as ACTUAL and then call the POTUS a liar for saying the number is lower is... well... using deaths for political gain.    Fact is, Puerto Rico's government failed in every aspect and their lack of planning and coordination of disaster relief is to blame (if there is one) for any and all deaths.

FEMA is a clean up crew... when there is NO state/local government to assist... it's gonna suck.   That's a fact.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
The actual 'study'.

It's apparent that most of you have NOT read it. 

I suggest you do.   Facts are... (according to the report) Puerto Rico's government fail at:   Death certificate procedures (which explains the FEMA funeral issues),  Severely outdated emergency plans or lack there of, and had a poor infrastructure to begin with.  

To use the federal response as a political sword is sickening.   To use an estimated number as ACTUAL and then call the POTUS a liar for saying the number is lower is... well... using deaths for political gain.    Fact is, Puerto Rico's government failed in every aspect and their lack of planning and coordination of disaster relief is to blame (if there is one) for any and all deaths.

FEMA is a clean up crew... when there is NO state/local government to assist... it's gonna suck.   That's a fact.
Jones Act - cough, cough

Latest posts