Putin is losing his war badly, so bad he threatened nukes. What should the response be if he does?

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
one is slug and the other is vvv
1666120713020.png

new boyfriend
1666120795355.png

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Ishmael said:
Putin might have to lay off a few more Republican senators to afford that.

Getting a majority of Republican senators elected is the single clearest path for Putin to capture more of Ukraine. There are already a couple of dozen of them who are chomping at the bit to slow/stop US armament shipments to Ukraine.
And the House will push for us to come in on Russia’s side. Fuck that. Fuck Putin. Fuck Russia. Fuck their supporters.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
<nerd warning>

Radioactive iodine is a fission product generated inside operating nuclear reactors. In the event of a reactor accident, radio-iodine may be released to the environment. If inhaled, it bioaccumulates in the thyroid. If a release of radio-iodine is anticipated, stable iodine may be administered to the local population. The stable iodine accumulates in the thyroid leaving no room for additional radioactive iodine, thus reducing the amounts of radio-iodine retained in the thyroid and reducing the overall radiation dose consequences.

Radio-iodine is relatively short lived. It is NOT present in significant quantities in spent nuclear fuel. Within a short time of removal from the reactor, the radio-iodine decays away. Therefore any allegation of providing "iodide pills" as related to a "waste storage facility" is absurd.

And by the way, a nuclear waste storage facility will have all kinds of radioactive waste: cleaning materials, old parts and components, mops and brooms, clothing, used oil, construction material, etc. There is more to radioactive waste than just used fuel.

<end of nerd warning>
Potassium iodide (KI) is a type of iodine that is not radioactive and can be used to help block one type of radioactive material, radioactive iodine (I-131), from being absorbed by the thyroid.

In some radiation emergencies, usually nuclear power plant accidents, radioactive iodine may be released into the environment and enter the body through breathing or eating it. This is known as internal contamination. When the thyroid absorbs high levels of radioactive iodine, it can increase the risk of thyroid cancer in infants, children, and young adults many years after exposure. The thyroid is a gland in the neck that plays an important role in many body functions.

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
Potassium iodide (KI) is a type of iodine that is not radioactive and can be used to help block one type of radioactive material, radioactive iodine (I-131), from being absorbed by the thyroid.

In some radiation emergencies, usually nuclear power plant accidents, radioactive iodine may be released into the environment and enter the body through breathing or eating it. This is known as internal contamination. When the thyroid absorbs high levels of radioactive iodine, it can increase the risk of thyroid cancer in infants, children, and young adults many years after exposure. The thyroid is a gland in the neck that plays an important role in many body functions.
and works about as well as ... duck and cover ..
or that other great one
put your head between your legs
then forgetting to add .. and kiss your ass goodbye
it's an almost placebo and that's all
ie
works .. but not to any meaningful degree

spankoka

Super Anarchist
I have been to Hiroshima. I'm not judging the decisions made then. If I was in Truman's shoes, I would have done the same. I am not even comfortable about how people describe microwave ovens after that though. There are two "n-words" out of my life. I live in Vancouver these days, and I know people danced in the streets on VJ Day. People who make it out that the atom bomb was just all about the USA-don't know the history.

Just do not ever, ever, do that again. Yes; the living will envy the dead-and people will talk about your decisions many years later.