QE DTS

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
And they were the best young "breeders" the country had.

Imagine where we'd be if the dumbest 6% of our young men disappeared in the next 4 years. Darwin on steroids.

But it was the opposite for the Brits.
But the miners were exempt.
as were railway workers, shipyard workers and steel workers and farmers. The best and healthiest.
so what you say is kind of BS :)

My Grand Dads was a mining engineer and a railway worker. Nothing wrong with my teeth :p

Last edited:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Somewhat bemused by the fact that the Queen's corpse is being hauled across the length and breadth of the UK for a week, followed by being exhibited in London for another week before burial.

Is she really in that coffin or is it symbolic?
If she is, it must be getting pretty smelly in there.

Is the purpose of the exercise to allow the people to say goodbye, or to demonstrate that she really is dead?

Surely a better, more modern solution would be to have her remains shot into low-earth orbit. "Look up, sweetie, the Queen is always watching over us."
Look up Charing cross and queen Elenor.
and read While I lay Dying .Yurch

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I volunteer to stay home as a breeder
he appreciates you volunteering..

big-bull-warren-bourne.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
But the miners were exempt.
as were railway workers, shipyard workers and steel workers and farmers. The best and healthiest.
so what you say is kind of BS :)

My Grand Dads was a mining engineer and a railway worker. Nothing wrong with my teeth :p
Yeah, the best and the brightest.

1663169423475.png

Being exempt didn't mean they had to stay out of the military - the best signed up.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
The US News is awash with the QEII stuff, both national and local. Jeepers. Must be lots of interest....I suppose. Not sure how they decide what people want to see. Its probably "we'll broadcast what we want and you'll like it".

Watched about 10 minutes the latest procession from here to there by default with coffee this morning. I was struck by the deep sense of tradition the ceremonies involve. I can appreciate that aspect of it......not enough to watch as it isn't my tradition or ceremony but enough to appreciate the moment for the Brits.

Once while chatting with a couple who lived in an old abbey at the end of one of our walking days on the Coast to Coast they were explaining the history of the building and surrounds. I remember thinking (and mentioning) "you have sidewalks older than my entire country". There is something to be said for traditions.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
The US News is awash with the QEII stuff, both national and local. Jeepers. Must be lots of interest....I suppose. Not sure how they decide what people want to see. Its probably "we'll broadcast what we want and you'll like it".

Watched about 10 minutes the latest procession from here to there by default with coffee this morning. I was struck by the deep sense of tradition the ceremonies involve. I can appreciate that aspect of it......not enough to watch as it isn't my tradition or ceremony but enough to appreciate the moment for the Brits.

Once while chatting with a couple who lived in an old abbey at the end of one of our walking days on the Coast to Coast they were explaining the history of the building and surrounds. I remember thinking (and mentioning) "you have sidewalks older than my entire country". There is something to be said for traditions.

I think the US is overdoing the news; it's the same stuff over and over again, adfinitum... But I do respect their traditions and protocols.

LB 15

Cunt
Same here. The first 10 news stories each day are about how close Megan and the other one stood from each other. And now we have another public holiday. We now have the Kings Birthday long weekend and the Queens deathday holiday. Still don’t mean anything to us retired folk. Every day is a holiday...I wish.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
Same here. The first 10 news stories each day are about how close Megan and the other one stood from each other. And now we have another public holiday. We now have the Kings Birthday long weekend and the Queens deathday holiday. Still don’t mean anything to us retired folk. Every day is a holiday...I wish.
Bloody Victorians got it right this time. PH 22/09 for dead Queen followed by another PH on 23/09, AFL Grand Final day!

The Q

Super Anarchist
Yeah, the best and the brightest.

View attachment 541040

Being exempt didn't mean they had to stay out of the military - the best signed up.
Once they realised the number of people that were leaving reserved occupations, they changed the rules, You had to ask permission to leave a reserved job, many were sent back..
Due to the shortage of miners.. You could called up for the military and sent down the mines instead, The Bevin Boys. They had worse pay and condititions and it was very dangerous in itself. During the war years there were around half a million miners of those around 1400 were killed every year, and many thousands more injured. So if you were down the pit for the 5 years as most were miners were( The Bevin boys, served 1943-1948)you had about a 1.5 % chance of being killed...

They got no medals, no demob suit, no guaranteed job when they came home..

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Once they realised the number of people that were leaving reserved occupations, they changed the rules, You had to ask permission to leave a reserved job, many were sent back..
Due to the shortage of miners.. You could called up for the military and sent down the mines instead, The Bevin Boys. They had worse pay and condititions and it was very dangerous in itself. During the war years there were around half a million miners of those around 1400 were killed every year, and many thousands more injured. So if you were down the pit for the 5 years as most were miners were( The Bevin boys, served 1943-1948)you had about a 1.5 % chance of being killed...

Interesting. Who would think it was a good idea to send unskilled people a mile underground to hew coal?
Glad they finally got recognition. They were just boys.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland

My 2nd wife's mother was from county Durham, Seaham. Most of her mother's family were either miners or fishermen. A lot of them didn't live long lives.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
my great uncle Billy was in the rescue team at Whitehaven. . when they got to some of the miners, they were sitting in an emergency place with their snap bags and flasks ..all dead from lack of oxygen. Billy was never quite right after that.
I think it was the Haig colliery, because my dad said the shaft ran under the sea though there were any number of mining disasters in Whitehaven.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
They have family run businesses (same family) that are older than our countries.