QE DTS

Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
Belgium had probably the worst, most abusive colonial presence but they were too small to register unless one was looking. The biggies like Britain, Spain etc. overshadow them but check their record in the Congo.
Remember that the Congo was not a colony of Belgium. It was the personal possession of King Leopold and the abuses are attributed to him.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Belgium had probably the worst, most abusive colonial presence but they were too small to register unless one was looking. The biggies like Britain, Spain etc. overshadow them but check their record in the Congo.
Read King Leopold‘s Ghost. Horrific accounting of Belgium‘s colonial foray. A shipping office logistics manager put it together and blew the whistle. Ships with soldiers and weapons going to the congo, ships with rubber and ivory coming back. Slave labor was his conclusion and he was right.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The Katanga rebellion in the Congo was my first awareness of geopolitics when I was 10 - incredibly savage.

By the way, one guess where the current hot spot is in Africa.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Which bit don't you understand? Ireland is a sovereign nation, it's still a member of the EU, it has a President - absolutely nothing to do with the UK, late Queen, the British Army or any other thing you may consider unfavourably linked to Britain. Northern Ireland is a different country and as I said above remains part of the UK. The history is complicated (as it tends to be) but nevertheless the people of Northern Ireland by majority want to be part of the UK - there is no British army of occupation in Northern Ireland. Ireland is a Catholic country, the UK is a Protestant nation - since King Henry VIII. Some Catholics live in Northern Ireland - they would (I believe) favour a united Ireland, the majority Protestant population in Northern Ireland want to remain part of the UK. People more qualified than me could explain the whole thing rather better but these are basic facts. It annoys me when people take a view without understanding some basic info.
I have a full understanding of the relevant facts, but thanks.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Next up, bring back the slob drunkard :ROFLMAO:

The continued drastic downfall of this much depleted former power is unfolding before our eyes, and its magnificent!

Latest posts