QE DTS

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
It was during the Obama's first visit, though, that Mr Obama gifted Her Majesty a very unusual present, which left many wondering if it made the cut.The former US President chose an iPod filled with photos from his inauguration and clips of his speeches.
The bestowing of the gift brought a cringe from one top etiquette expert, who said it confirmed that Mr Obama had not figured out presidential gift-giving.Anna Post of the Emily Post Institute said in 2009: “For me, the iPod only works if he has some catchy reason why he gave it as a gift.
"Otherwise it feels like somebody at the White House pulled the lever and an iPod is what popped up.
"And if it was just pulled out of the blue, you run the risk of the ‘Oh, how nice,’ reaction from people which is the polite gloss of, ‘What on earth am I going to do with this?’ ”
Source?

"The Queen's official gift from the 44th president and his wife, Michelle, features footage of her 2007 visit to the US, as well as numerous Broadway songs, and comes with a songbook for the King and I signed by composer Richard Rodgers. No word yet as to whether the playlist contained Pass the Duchy or anything by, well, Queen. Her Majesty, however, is said to be "delighted" following their meeting yesterday."

Clove Hitch

Halyard licker
around and about
Poor attempt to change the topic there.

I take it that you concede dfw's point WRT the ex-British colonies standard of living vis-a vis the USA.

FWIW few Aussies are Monarchists (capital M types) but we're cynics - better the (far away and ineffectual) monarch that has no power than a President like Trump.

You don't seem to realise that in many, many areas in the 21C - you guys are the exemplars of what NOT to do when it comes to social harmony and civil society.

Oh - and as an afterthought - why don't you try asking your Native Americans what it feels like to be colonised and dispossessed of their land by a bunch of genocidal racists?

FKT
You can take a knee to whatever crusty inbred bitch you want to

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
I beg your pardon, but in the US we don't have a bunch of inbred halfwits masquerading as special
people by virtue of dipping out of the very shallow end of the gene pool. Not to mention the history of the British to inflict their rapacious greed on most of the world, leaving an everlasting stain, endless turmoil and countless deaths and then shamelessly rubbing the world's nose in it to this day A pox on the British mouth breathers posing as exceptional people. Fuck 'em all. If they actually did anything meaningful without all of their money and privilege I might feel differently. The only ones of that miserable lot I have any respect for, albeit it minimal, is for Harry and his wife who might have seen the light given how Liz was a racist piece of shit. However I notice they haven't renounced their inheritance. Double fuck them all up their royal asses.
Why do you care? It doesn't affect you and never has. Your Presidents and leaders expect respect from overseas leaders when they come to the US, what is wrong with showing respect in England? Imagine if people around the world said about JFK what you are saying about the Queen.

Perhaps you should look at all the other constitutional monarchies in the world, and judge their governance against yours. The Queen and the Royal family do not have any say in politics, and their history and presence brings in far more money to Britain than they receive.

I expect that Australia will fairly soon become a republic - we were waiting for the Queen to die, and in fact Charles has already encouraged us to do so. The only issue is that Australians are concerned about what model of republic - most Australians fear an American style Presidency. But even at the moment the Royal family have no involvement in Australian politics. And as much as you seem to hate the Royal family and all they stand for, since Queen Elizabeth was coronated, the members of the Commonwealth has gone from around 5 to 56.

And as far as your"inbred halfwits" comment, I think the rest of the world mostly see the US as a nation of of mostly inbred halfwits. Accusing Britain's history of being one of inflicting "rapacious greed on most of the world", is incredibly ironic coming from a US American!

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble

I'll take a knee......albeit to light the grill​

Australia to get one off public holiday on September 22​

Sun, 11 September 2022 at 9:40 am

Australia will have a one-off public holiday later this month to commemorate the life of Queen Elizabeth II.
The nation will hold a memorial service on September 22, with Aussies provided a national public holiday to mark the occasion.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
the queen, really didn't do anything... lol

agorA76_460swp.webp

and the ipod, maybe it was something she asked for...
She knew brexit was a bad thing for her subjects and needlessly wasteful of time and treasure. Good for her.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
But being born to it means they don’t have to lie, cheat, bribe, steal or blackmail their way into power. As such, they can be far less corrupt and populist than a presidential system.
Be that as it may, history shows that inbreeding can cause any number of problems to an individual's health and intellectual ability. Choosing people to occupy positions of power based on what family they happened to be born into isn't a terribly effective way to ensure a quality leader. I think history has displayed ample evidence of that. Not to mention that way back when the progenitors of the British royal family absolutely lied, cheated, bribed, stole, and blackmailed their way into power among many other crimes. And then they subjugated millions and exploited and murdered them for their own gain. And now they are proud of their horrible history and revel in it and the power, privilege and riches it has brought them. They live in a run down little island country that contributes little to the world that has long passed t5hem by, and they are trying to stay relevant while largely nobody gives a shit about them. That just sounds pretty fucked up to me.

And ask the deservedly disgraced Andrew about lying, cheating, and stealing.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
Be that as it may, history shows that inbreeding can cause any number of problems to an individual's health and intellectual ability. Choosing people to occupy positions of power based on what family they happened to be born into isn't a terribly effective way to ensure a quality leader. I think history has displayed ample evidence of that. Not to mention that way back when the progenitors of the British royal family absolutely lied, cheated, bribed, stole, and blackmailed their way into power among many other crimes. And then they subjugated millions and exploited and murdered them for their own gain. And now they are proud of their horrible history and revel in it and the power, privilege and riches it has brought them. They live in a run down little island country that contributes little to the world that has long passed t5hem by, and they are trying to stay relevant while largely nobody gives a shit about them. That just sounds pretty fucked up to me.

And ask the deservedly disgraced Andrew about lying, cheating, and stealing.
Shut up you silly old cunt. You're just trolling.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Why do you care? It doesn't affect you and never has. Your Presidents and leaders expect respect from overseas leaders when they come to the US, what is wrong with showing respect in England? Imagine if people around the world said about JFK what you are saying about the Queen.

Perhaps you should look at all the other constitutional monarchies in the world, and judge their governance against yours. The Queen and the Royal family do not have any say in politics, and their history and presence brings in far more money to Britain than they receive.

I expect that Australia will fairly soon become a republic - we were waiting for the Queen to die, and in fact Charles has already encouraged us to do so. The only issue is that Australians are concerned about what model of republic - most Australians fear an American style Presidency. But even at the moment the Royal family have no involvement in Australian politics. And as much as you seem to hate the Royal family and all they stand for, since Queen Elizabeth was coronated, the members of the Commonwealth has gone from around 5 to 56.

And as far as your"inbred halfwits" comment, I think the rest of the world mostly see the US as a nation of of mostly inbred halfwits. Accusing Britain's history of being one of inflicting "rapacious greed on most of the world", is incredibly ironic coming from a US American!
Sorry but your defense is weak. Read a little history and it becomes clear that almost every trouble spot in today's world can be traced back to the ravages of the execrable British empire. There is no defending that or anything comparable to what they did. Please tell me how the US can even come close to the damage that the British empire did to the world. China, India, Africa? The vile Brits certainly did those countries a lot of favors. How many hundreds of millions of people died as a result of the ravages of the greedy empire? In a little less than 250 years the US has done more good for the world and killed far, far, far less people than a bunch of pasty skinned people with bad teeth did over the centuries.

The few remaining constitutional monarchies in the world are small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The idea that a family is entitled to rule and have special privileges and great wealth just because of their gene pool is ludicrous and anachronistic.

Humans are fundamentally flawed and no system of government is going to be perfect. But entrusting a country to elected leaders, who in theory are elected to their position because they have displayed proven qualities that make them suitable for the job, is to me a far superior and egalitarian way to govern than relying on some addled halfwit that was descended from a long line of inbred freaks.

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
Sorry but your defense is weak. Read a little history and it becomes clear that almost every trouble spot in today's world can be traced back to the ravages of the execrable British empire. There is no defending that or anything comparable to what they did. Please tell me how the US can even come close to the damage that the British empire did to the world. China, India, Africa? The vile Brits certainly did those countries a lot of favors. How many hundreds of millions of people died as a result of the ravages of the greedy empire? In a little less than 250 years the US has done more good for the world and killed far, far, far less people than a bunch of pasty skinned people with bad teeth did over the centuries.

The few remaining constitutional monarchies in the world are small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The idea that a family is entitled to rule and have special privileges and great wealth just because of their gene pool is ludicrous and anachronistic.

Humans are fundamentally flawed and no system of government is going to be perfect. But entrusting a country to elected leaders, who in theory are elected to their position because they have displayed proven qualities that make them suitable for the job, is to me a far superior and egalitarian way to govern than relying on some addled halfwit that was descended from a long line of inbred freaks.
Firstly, Japan, Malaysia, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and Thailand amongst others, are "not exactly small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things."

There is no doubt that every "Empire" in history has used means that are unacceptable by modern standards. Maybe the US hasn't killed as many people, but can be condemned because of its both overt and secret machinations over the last 70 years. I hopefully don't need to spell out these machinations - they take in every continent.

So, I get your criticisms but I do feel that you are putting too much of the blame on the Royal family when it has not had power over Parliament since 7th February 1649. (I remember that day well). And a very final point - many people are saying how bad it is that Charles just becomes King because he is. the Queen's son. Well, that is how monarchies, dukedoms, earldoms etc etc work! Any worse than the Murdochs?

Enjoyed our little discussion.

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
. Maybe the US hasn't killed as many people, but can be condemned because of its both overt and secret machinations over the last 70 years.
Sir, the genocide of the indigenous, the years of legal slavery, the continued oppression of those of any color other than white… it’s not just the last 70 years. And We The People have no right to cast stones, damn sure

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Any worse than the Murdochs?
Yes, it is. Because eventually and hopefully soon, the Murdoch dynasty will disappear, they are merely a financial empire. Because of its hereditary and statutory structure, the world is stuck with the Windsors for the foreseeable future.
Maybe the US hasn't killed as many people, but can be condemned because of its both overt and secret machinations over the last 70 years.
First of all, we are talking about the Brits right now, not the US. And even if we were legitimately comparing the two, there is no way that the US has even begun to have such a malevolent impact on the world. Probably the most reprehensible violation of human rights committed was the abysmal treatment of the American Indians and the African slaves. Neither of these crimes affected nearly as many people as the British action on India, let alone China.

The current British monarchy is implicit in the past crimes of the past royalty by heredity. You can't only claim the glorious accomplishments of your ancestors if you won't accept responsibility for their crimes as well. Since the British royalty proudly claim an unbroken bloodline for many centuries, then they need to own up to the egregious behavior of their progenitors. It seems they were quite hasty in disowning their German connection when they rebranded themselves as the house of Windsor and abandoned the Hannover name during WW I. They did a good job of it too, given many people today aren't aware that King George and Kaiser Wilhelm were 1st cousins.

The only sensible thing for gnarly Charlie to do is take steps to begin the abolishment of the monarchy. If the king himself declared an end to the monarchy, then it wouldn't be difficult for the British parliament to take up the issue. It is certainly possible to believe that enough British voters would agree, especially with all of the old geezers dying off. After randy Andy's shameful behavior and the Harry-Meghan controversy, along with the reprehensible history of the empire and the fact that it is the 21st century, perhaps the Brits have had enough of the ridiculous and largely meaningless and irrelevant royal family. If Charlie doesn't have the balls to do it, hopefully William will.

Bored Stiff

Copenhagen
The current British monarchy is implicit in the past crimes of the past royalty by heredity.
are you responsible for your grandparents actions? And just remember, the UK abolished slavery before the US and didn’t require a civil war killing 600,000 people to do it. But all of this is irrelevant to mourning the death of a person who has served her country with tremendous grace and who has led perhaps the most remarkable life of any human that ever lived. You don’t even have the civility to do that.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Human history is filled with tribes, nations and cultures extending their reach and influence through various methods including military actions. Focusing on just one and trying to make it “more evil” when in reality it was simply more successful in those not so unusual ambitions is……..to ignore the whole of human history. I could endlessly list examples big and small but they are not hard to find to anyone even mildly interested.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Human history is filled with tribes, nations and cultures extending their reach and influence through various methods including military actions. Focusing on just one and trying to make it “more evil” when in reality it was simply more successful in those not so unusual ambitions is……..to ignore the whole of human history. I could endlessly list examples big and small but they are not hard to find to anyone even mildly interested.

I can't see that what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Of course you can find examples big and small. The small ones are irrelevant except to a few. The big examples which are fairly numerous all pale in comparison to the negative effect of what the British empire did to the world. And almost all of it was because for greed. And maybe a genetic predisposition to small penises on the men, I don't know.

It is possible to be quite successful without being completely evil. so saying they "were simply more successful in those not so unusual ambitions.", is just not adequate enough to explain what the Brits did. It's like trying to to explain away Vladimir Putin's behavior by saying "Well, boys will be boys."

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
are you responsible for your grandparents actions? And just remember, the UK abolished slavery before the US and didn’t require a civil war killing 600,000 people to do it. But all of this is irrelevant to mourning the death of a person who has served her country with tremendous grace and who has led perhaps the most remarkable life of any human that ever lived. You don’t even have the civility to do that.
No, I don't.

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
^ You’re not wrong. He’s a nice bloke most of the time but given an opportunity to bash us Poms he’ll go hell for leather. It’s why I’ve not bothered responding to his rants.