Quantum Fusion M Kevlar 155 Genoas

Strimar

Looking at purchasing a used Quantum Fusion M Kevlar 155 genoa.  The sail is older but is in excellent condition and was only used sparingly for 2 years and was built around 2008.  Loft report is excellent. The sail is Twaron DPI 11000 with carbon fibre strings for reinforcement.  Looking to use it as a medium #1 in the 12- 15 knot wind range.  Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar size and built headsail for a 30 - 35 foot racer cruiser.

Looking at purchasing a used Quantum Fusion M Kevlar 155 genoa.  The sail is older but is in excellent condition and was only used sparingly for 2 years and was built around 2008.  Loft report is excellent. The sail is Twaron DPI 11000 with carbon fibre strings for reinforcement.  Looking to use it as a medium #1 in the 12- 15 knot wind range.  Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar size and built headsail for a 30 - 35 foot racer cruiser.
Its a 14 year old sail, changing shape as it sits in the bag.  I hope it really cheap. 

Ultraman

Anarchist
Vancouver
I had a Mainsail made of that in ~2009 for an Olson 30.  It was beat after a couple of seasons.

I also have a 2009-era Lidgard L/M J1 made of the same/similar material for my S40 that is still good for bashing about/Wednesday nights/etc.  I wouldn't pay much for a 2 year old genoa, never mind a 14 year old genoa.

The strings will be fine.  The mylar is likely to be fragile and easily broken by hits on stanchions, spreaders, or if the sail flogs in a particular way in a puff, and the usual insignia cloth patches will tend to rip out at the edges of the patch, unless the skin is the super-heavy and almost gluey feeling skin they sometimes used on the tape sails at that point in time, in which case maybe it's pretty good for what you want.  That stuff holds up pretty well although like all the skin it too shrinks and ages even if it's perfectly rolled up and protected from the light in a climate controlled loft.  I have a big pile of older quantum kevlar 155s for a J/35, got them from the PO, and they are in okay shape for just sailing around but not good for anything other than can racing.  They're still usable, ish, but I can smell the $100 bills evaporating with each tick of the clock.  

Be interesting to know exactly how your loft rated it with respect to shape life, service life, and suitability for racing... with a sail that old a good sailmaker shouldn't miss the opportunity to upsell you on a new genoa and those details about how the sail is rated matter.  A sail can have a lot of service life left, for instance, but it may be blown out and okay for cruising/delivery but a complete no go for competitive racing.  

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
The glue that binds the strings to the mylar gets brittle over time. So it'll look good on the loft floor, but after a few tacks that glue will shatter and suddenly you'll be in a world of delamination. 

Pay Hundreds of $, not Thousands