Quitting smoking (almost) 1 year in.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Roughly 340ish days right now.

Where are all the quitters and quitters who went back?

I should have taken Monkey's bet. ;)
Yes, you should have. I made it four months and folded again. Trying again soon.
Edit: I don't remember what the proposed bet was, but I'll honor it out of penance, and if it even slightly helped your cause, it's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TPG

Super Anarchist
Roughly 340ish days right now.

Where are all the quitters and quitters who went back?

I should have taken Monkey's bet. ;)
Yes, you should have. I made it four months and folded again. Trying again soon.
Edit: I don't remember what the proposed bet was, but I'll honor it out of penance, and if it even slightly helped your cause, it's worth it.
No need mate, you've been more than helpful with the device of noise and fury and speed. ;)

mikewof

mikewof
Ha, Pot is legal here so the looks I get when driving and vaping are priceless... Yes I am vaping, and no you cannot do shit about it..... :)
Wait a sec ... did I park your car when I was working as a valet at Elways? You pulled up with blood all over the front of your car, and I asked "is that blood?" And you said "of course it's blood, it's a Cadillac Eldorado."

mikewof

mikewof
Ha, Pot is legal here so the looks I get when driving and vaping are priceless... Yes I am vaping, and no you cannot do shit about it..... :)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/aaa-report-fatal-marijuana-related-crashes-up-where-drug-is-legal/
This doesn't make a clear connection to me ...

In 2012, Washington became one of the first states to legalize marijuana. Now a new study by AAA has found the number of fatal accidents involving drivers who'd recently used pot more than doubled between 2013 and 2014.

Of course fatal accidents are going to be more likely to involve herb users in state that made it legal, because in those states, suddenly many times more people are smoking or ingesting it. So when it was illegal, your average driver was less likely to have it in their system as after the ban was lifted. That doesn't necessarily suggest a direct link to the drug and the accident.

A more useful report would be tom compare the accidents per capita before an after the ban. Because if someone who would have previously driven drunk, then drives stoned, it could very well lower accidents. So what happened in Shaggy's state after legalization?

http://www.medicaldaily.com/did-marijuana-legalization-lower-car-accident-deaths-colorado-state-sees-historic-lows-296886

Our fatal accidents have supposedly decreased to "historic lows." But as noted, this doesn't necessarily mean that stoned drivers are safer, but rather that the drug stays in one's system in a measurable way, long, long after the high is gone. It suggests though that stoned drivers aren't necessarily any worse than unstoned ones.

mikewof

mikewof
been over two decades for me.

course i never smoked in the first place.
Thats because you're a pussy.

When there is no other choice but to light up
Its cigarettes, not heroin.
heh.. edgy huh. you should have a cig, it'll make you feel better.
You said it. Like magic. Inside each paper tube is a magical substance that changes stress to happiness. I've no idea how Mother Nature did that with her tobacco plants, but sure enough, she did it.

TPG

Super Anarchist
I made two weeks cold turkey then folded. Hypnotherapy next or patches next.
A friend of ratz and mine did hypnotherapy, she never touched a cigarette again. I'd try it before the patch or gum or any of that crap. Clean break is the way to go!

As far as cold turkey, 10 days is the hump, what went wrong?

mikewof

mikewof
You might want to try the method I mentioned up there, it really does work.
You will always be a smoker, but you will be a pack-a-month smoker faster than you could imagine, and a three-pack-a-year smoker without even realizing how it happened. A friend taught me, I taught my friends, they taught their friends. They're pack-a-year smokers, they have to buy new packs when their opened ones go stale.

1. Break off the filter

2. Never puff, only inhale, even if it makes you cough. Hold in each inhale, as if you were smoking herb.

3. Snub out the ciggerbuddy as soon as you feel the buzz, save the rest for later, the relief comes much faster without that filter.

4. The ciggerbuddies are your friends, not your enemies. They will become friends on which you will rely less and less.

5. Don't puff.

6. Did I mention not to puff?

7. Rip off the filter.

8. Did I mention to rip off the filter? Modern filters aren't just filters, they are actually ventilators, they mix air with the smoke to make it smoother. You don't want smooth, you want your fix, and there is nothing smooth about that fix.

9. Smokers are inflexible creatures of habit. You won't want to do any of these things, but you can use your comfort of routine to your advantage.

10. You will always be a smoker, even if you had not had one in months. It's impossible to unlearn the miracle of tobacco because it fills a longing in our souls. But it's not alcohol, a few puffs now and then, done with the above rules, will not plunge you back to a pack-a-day habit.

11. If you ever break those rules, and puff a filtered cigarette, then punish yourself by running the whole oack in water, crumble them into the trash and start again with a fresh pack. The days of mindlessly puffing filtered cigarettes are over, we can't handle their unstoppable power. Instead, you will be in awe of their power, and with each inhale, look at the cigarette in your fingers, enjoying it to the fullest. It's not a time to chat with coworkers, it's about your perfect relationship with your treasured ciggerbuddy, and at that moment, she is your only true love, a perfect cylindrical heaven, the best friend you have ever had until the moment you snub the treasured beauty out and save her for later. You don't flick the ash like some mindless barbarian, you gently roll the ash off, depositing it when humility and grace. You may not have a cigar, but we have much to learn from cigar smokers. They treasure their smokes, they respect them, they have honor. Be like that. I don't know shit about cigars, but I know that cigar smokers enjoy their lives. I want to be like that, rather than some chain smoking idiot who can't get through the stress of the day without resorting to my live hate relationship with my smokes. I'll never, ever be that person again.

Since xmass really, Vape though.. Local joint makes their own vape juice with only local natural no additive shit. Wifie does not mind it in the house and you can sneak it in bars... Keep going down on the nic level and almost don't miss it. Ecigs off the shelf are crap btw... go with a decent vape pen and you are golden...
Yeah, I vape, just didn't want to sound like a douche canoe. So much stigma around vaping, but I feel better so it is better.
Popcorn is Good

Popcorn Lung not so much

TPG

Super Anarchist
4 mths 11 days, doing ok

Br
Awesome! Grats!

Since xmass really, Vape though.. Local joint makes their own vape juice with only local natural no additive shit. Wifie does not mind it in the house and you can sneak it in bars... Keep going down on the nic level and almost don't miss it. Ecigs off the shelf are crap btw... go with a decent vape pen and you are golden...
Yeah, I vape, just didn't want to sound like a douche canoe. So much stigma around vaping, but I feel better so it is better.
Popcorn is Good

Popcorn Lung not so much
I run 5 miles instead of 5 feet now.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
As a career "quitter," Chantix has always been the easiest for me. Once you solve the lucid dream issue, it's pretty easy.
My problem has always been staying quit.

I quit 14 years ago. Smoked for 10 before that. The Mrs. and I quit at the same time. I didn't want to let her down and she didn't want to let me down. It was Spring and I couldn't keep patches stuck to me due to sweating. I used Zyban and was pretty grumpy for being on an antidepressant. It's hard but one of the best things you can do for your health. Be selfish, do it for yourself. You can't do it for someone else.

mikewof

mikewof
I get a little envious of people who can quit cold turkey, it seems eventually they just reach the point where they no longer even think about tobacco. I think about it all the time, it's a constant struggle, every time things get stressful. I sometimes wonder what would fill up my thinking space if my constant battle against little addictions like that was not inside my head.

I know that a lot of us can never quit cold turkey, but that one seems to least emotionally enslaving way to do it.

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist
Did the vape switch about a year and half ago, it was quite easy. I have been lowering the nicotine level down, been on 0 for the last couple of months just realized recently that I still carry my "peace pipe" around but have kind of lost interest, some days don't even touch it, other day hit it once of twice.

Will probably keep it around and some nicotine juice if I ever go drinking.

But really, quitting was utterly painless.

Latest posts