R.I.P. Laurie Davidson

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I didn't know he did some ferro's.

Anybody got pics?
https://www.marinehub.co.nz/boats-for-sale/laurie-davidson/davidson-41/cc076577-2783-4a9c-9d94-f484829177f4?account_key=373de105-6fcc-4453-9a1f-9c08f8f824a9&offset=10

D426ED65-58A9-48B2-85A6-F2142188C7B0.jpeg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/3246964902?bof=nekdMx4y

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
A long time ago, my skipper was looking to build a big boat.  He called for expressions of interest from a number of designers.  Most submitted sketch plans but Laurie Davidson sent a half-model!

A legend - sail on Mr Davidson. 

Crazy Horse

Queensland
Ian Franklin built many of his designs for the US market. Keel half moulds hanging on the old workshop wall that was near the Estuary, not sure what happened to them in the shift to the new workshop? Davie Norris may have built some as well after he went out on his own? Southern Fun was a local racer part owned by Ian. Raced hard and put away wet, us young bucks dreamed of owning a yacht like her. From the school of design, if it looked right then it was right. Thanks for your lifes work Mr Davidson, the world is a better place for your efforts. 

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Good grief, it could well be. He's turning 90 this week. Erik Bentzen owned/owns her. Originally called Brother Dominic. Legend photo. Thanks See Level
Wow, Tell your dad Brian Parr said happy birthday. Erik sold her some time back after he built the interior out. Wished it was this nice when we sailed her  B)

imgp92251.jpg

DELETED

Anarchist
In early 2020 i had 4boats on my year old wishlist on Yachthub as potential/dream buys...

I travelled 1900klm’s to view a Farr 1104 that was from an unknown builder and in need of ALOT of love by the pictures...

On the way out to the mooring field in the agents tender i spotted a boat.... A familiar shape, i confirmed with the agent that it was what i thought it was..”Damnit! Dude, shes been on my wishlist for 2years but...”

He said “shes for sale for $###’s”.

I immediately asked him to pull up to her first....

There she was, moored closest to the rocks, Melancholy,Dull and Tethered like wild beauty should never be..

I stepped aboard, went below,took in what was there and what wasnt.... Called the owner from agents phone, agreed on terms... Then began a love story that hopefully continues for many years.. Although border restrictions have made it impossible for her to be treated as she should be so far, absence makes the heart grow fonder and plans bigger!...

That day I went in apprehensive search of a Farr(ish) and returned with a Legit Davidson..

Today i came to SA to read,learn,see interesting things and find this thread...

I never got to meet Laurie Davidson the Gentleman himself, but thanks to Mr Dibley i stare in wonder at the Drawings Laurie did that lead to the creation of my found treasure and others similar to her.

Framed in pencil at home for my wonder and moored at a distant marina for my future enjoyment, my own little windows into the mind and legacy of a legend.
My condolences and thoughts are with his family and closest friends.

RIP LAURIE DAVIDSON GBNF.

0255F283-C153-4284-805B-DD8E6AB0F6A8.jpeg

EE8438F9-B6AC-4993-ACCD-A5090EF46DE1.jpeg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Davidson 29 "Kodiak" in Howe Sound out of WVYC.

View attachment 466754
Awesome design - one of my favourites.  Complete light air monster with 6'+ headroom IIRC and huge very cruisable interior.

Still wish I had been able to close the deal on the sistership back in late 2008.  Unfortunately the volatility of the CAD/USD exchange rate at the time ended up with her being bought by an American by the time the dust had settled in early 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
In early 2020 i had 4boats on my year old wishlist on Yachthub as potential/dream buys...

I travelled 1900klm’s to view a Farr 1104 that was from an unknown builder and in need of ALOT of love by the pictures...

On the way out to the mooring field in the agents tender i spotted a boat.... A familiar shape, i confirmed with the agent that it was what i thought it was..”Damnit! Dude, shes been on my wishlist for 2years but...”

He said “shes for sale for $###’s”.

I immediately asked him to pull up to her first....

RIP LAURIE DAVIDSON GBNF.

View attachment 466659

View attachment 466660
You have Singapore Girl?  You are my new hero!

Congratulations, and we look forward to seeing pics of her sailing again soon.  One of Laurie's sweetest designs IMHO.

Latest posts