R.I.P. Laurie Davidson

russell_2878

Hobart
A bit late to the party but here are a few shots of one of my favourite designs of his, because i used to sail on it, the one where we are going upwind was in weather doctor who liked best, we were beating a Cookson 50 at that time and nearly beat them over the line but murdered them on handicap the other are just to show how good she looked.  

DH1.jpg 2019-11-JWept.jpg

5.jpg

LB 15

Cunt
One tonner Blue Max two that I owned for many years. Thank you MR Davidson for some of the best sailing of my life. You knew how to draw boats that were both fast and beautiful.

RIP.

45775618-951B-42F0-A025-F10532FD479E.jpeg

One of Laurie's best out racing today in shiny paint and new sails.  Violetta started life as Pendragon whose wins in the 3/4 Ton and 1 Ton worlds are noted above. He's lucky to have owners who keep his boats sailing. Back in the day I had the pleasure of racing with John and Suzie MacLaurin aboard Laurie's 30' Stardancer and the 44 foot  Pendragon.  Laurie Davidson was a very good designer and a great guy.  He generously supplied drawings of his 70 footer Cassiopeia a few years ago when we were asked to help with some changes and repairs so we knew how it was built.  Laurie was a class act who is missed. 

Violetta ex-Pendrgon x.jpg

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
We had a great red and white IMS design, about 42 feet, here in Hawaii, arrived '92-ish.

Originally it was "Power Play" and then later "Outlaw", and then sold back to down under.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
We had a great red and white IMS design, about 42 feet, here in Hawaii, arrived '92-ish.

Originally it was "Power Play" and then later "Outlaw", and then sold back to down under.

I raced on Power Play when it was new. pretty boat (and great owner, Pete Richards out of HYC), and fast upwind, but couldn't seem to find a way to get it unstuck off the wind.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Yep, that's the one - I wonder what happened to her.

I was crew on the competition, but knew Pete from the clubs and he invited me to sail with them one day - a very early shake-down sail, actually - and it was blowing like heck.

I step aboard and quickly noticed the dinghy-swivels on the cabin top for the vang tails. "Those look kinda light..."
"Shut up, kid." from some hot-shot crew ( okay, fine whatever )

OF COURSE in the day's proceedings we had a gnarly gybe or two and then found the short, stamped 'arms' on BOTH of them had totally collapsed like accordions and been rendered useless.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I step aboard and quickly noticed

I learned, on that boat, that I'm red-green colorblind.

How? I'd been doing bow for a million years and every boat I knew of had the same setup.... red for port-spin, blue for centerline, green for stbd-spin. No problem.

So on a Friday night race early in the program, I was asked to work bow, and... couldn't tell the halyards apart. I'm "told" they were light-green, orange and yellow, some sort of tropical-island variant of the usual Samson colors, but I couldn't tell the difference for the life of me. They all looked sorta the same shade of yellow-ish gray.

Also learned, that evening, that grabbing the wrong halyard and trying to hoist a fractional headsail on a masthead spin halyard doesn't go so well...