R2AK 2022

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Heard a segment on radio just now on my local npr channel KUOW about the P&W win. McKee remarked about how they started about 6 miles behind the leaders but then 'caught a breeze.' They played the bell-ring at the end, it was a cool report.

Last edited:

cje

Anarchist
Canadian Coast Guard.
They don't like this stuff. Already down with staff and regulations.
My typing inside voice.

Strategery

PNW
I just dont understand how these Corsairs arent shredding more monohulls (P&W excluded)? Race tracker showing them going roughly the same speeds with maybe a few clicks of pace here and there.... Gun shy? Over loaded? Choosing routes that have them tacking every 3 minutes?
Plenty of arm chair quarterbacking on my part, but they should be legging out in open water.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Not sure what I was expecting but in that video of P&W they cruised in, dropped the main, steered perfectly into the dock, and those guys looked fresh and clean and good-natured wearing clean clothes and everything. No sign of sleep-loss or anything else.
That has been my experience over years of RORC offshore racing, usually in 6 or 9 man crews. With one owner during two boats, we converted him from a stay up on deck all night and leave your toothbrush at home to save weight fanatic to finishing races well rested and ready to party. The results improved as well. We won four RORC offshore (divisional) pointscores back in the nineties.

PS

Best dock tie up in Ketchikan has to be Elsie Piddock’s In the inaugural race. Pure gold.

Last edited:

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
It looks like the wind is more on-the-nose the closer you get to Bank's Island, thus Fashionably Late having to tack all the time. I wonder about the waves close in vs further offshore where Elsewhere is sailing with a more favorable wind angle?

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
That has been my experience over years of RORC offshore racing, usually in 6 or 9 man crews. With one owner during two boats, we converted him from a stay up on deck all night and leave your toothbrush at home to save weight fanatic to finishing races well rested and ready to party. The results improved as well. We won four RORC offshore (divisional) pointscores back in the nineties.
My first Pacific Cup was with a crew of four, two on and two "off" ("off" meaning doing all the other stuff between naps). We finished looking and feeling like zombies. After that we sailed with six, two on and four off. Almost relaxing!

cje

Anarchist
I watched them enter thru my front windows live screen for the tester bonanza. They kind of had a little sail up, like a fourth reef. Not a lot of paddling was going on.
I don't want to start anything, but..

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
My first Pacific Cup was with a crew of four, two on and two "off" ("off" meaning doing all the other stuff between naps). We finished looking and feeling like zombies. After that we sailed with six, two on and four off. Almost relaxing!
You need more allrounders though. In our crew of 6, we had 6 helmsmen, 4 navigators and 3 bowmen….

cje

Anarchist
hahas..
I'm saying that they sailed into vic. I just happened to be awake which is rare for me lately.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
lol.

it is a very cool boat. amazing really. but you have to experience it to really appreciate it. like I said earlier I figured the weta's weakness in this race would be light air. not heavy. and it's actually pretty astonishing what the boat can take - have poked the bow in many, many times. and it would always pop back out. well. almost always.. ;-)
I actually considered getting a Weta for day sailing when I was multihull shopping, but it seemed to be the most fun in a bit of breeze, which there isn’t always around here, especially in the late summer when it would otherwise be really nice to be out on the water.