R2AK 2022

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
I just dont understand how these Corsairs arent shredding more monohulls (P&W excluded)? Race tracker showing them going roughly the same speeds with maybe a few clicks of pace here and there.... Gun shy? Over loaded? Choosing routes that have them tacking every 3 minutes?
Plenty of arm chair quarterbacking on my part, but they should be legging out in open water.
I think many of the multis are overloaded, which makes a HUGE difference.

We normally sail our F-82R double-handed, and the first time we added a third crew member and overnight gear for a longer race I couldn’t believe how much it slowed the boat down. Probably should have added at least 20 seconds to the PHRF rating, but of course it didn’t.

So if we did the R2AK on that boat I’d strongly prefer to do it double-handed from a weight perspective. Even though it would be nice to have a third set of hands for boat handling and shifts, I’m just not sure it would be worth the performance penalty.

I think many of the multis are overloaded, which makes a HUGE difference.

We normally sail our F-82R double-handed, and the first time we added a third crew member and overnight gear for a longer race I couldn’t believe how much it slowed the boat down. Probably should have added at least 20 seconds to the PHRF rating, but of course it didn’t.

So if we did the R2AK on that boat I’d strongly prefer to do it double-handed from a weight perspective. Even though it would be nice to have a third set of hands for boat handling and shifts, I’m just not sure it would be worth the performance penalty.
After day three you might be questioning the choice, but Its only one off from single handing??? Auto helm is like having a 3rd hand as i singlehand my 28R a fair amount but only for day sailing :)

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
After day three you might be questioning the choice, but Its only one off from single handing??? Auto helm is like having a 3rd hand as i singlehand my 28R a fair amount but only for day sailing :)
Yes it would be two people plus autopilot!!!

Did a six day passage like that once (on a monohull) alternating every 3-4 hours, arrived feeling pretty good. Course wasn’t as challenging as the R2AK though...

Doesn’t work in all conditions but definitely quite a bit of the time if you have a decent autopilot unit.

Pestou has a Pelagic and that’s what we currently have too.

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
With a square top main you have to put the top batten worth of sail 'up' in order to have it fed in the mast. I'm sure they had it prepped to hoist. If the CCG or harbour patrol didn't stop them coming upmthe harbour I think the moment to question anyone's "sailing" is about 5 days passed.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Huh?

Are you saying that they should be DSQ for sailing rather than paddling?

I don't get it.
Canada prohibits sailing in Victoria Harbor, but the R2AK doesn't enforce this and sailing is not a DSQ event. Race rules:

No Sailing: Sails shall not be used in the MIDDLE, INNER and UPPER HARBOUR and all sails shall be lowered even when under power. Just check out the map above. The R2AK Race Boss wants to make this really clear: It’s by order of the Queen (or something...it’s for sure a law) that there is no sailing inside of the Shoal Point breakwater. R2AK won’t be enforcing any laws, only our own race rules. Canadian laws will be enforced by the Mounties (or whatever) and they have their own brand of punishment. Don’t come crying to us if you get passed by a team who sailed and didn’t get caught. By the same token, don’t come crying to us if you try to sail illegally, get pulled over, are passed by everyone in the fleet, and end up waiting for your barrister (or whatever) in the basement of some dank medieval jail while everyone else makes miles north. Canadians are serious, karma is real, and that’s on you.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
After day three you might be questioning the choice, but Its only one off from single handing???
This. I have seen hard work and effort go down the pan towards the end of a long race enough times because of tiredness and fractious exhaustion. Of course the extra weight is a penalty, but it invariably pays for itself one way or another.

An autohelm won’t ease the main in a gust, doesn’t see logs, other boats, problems or wind shifts better than a third crew member.

What would you R2AK fanatics do without some on the ground knowledge and reporting? Yes, Pure and Wild entered the Victoria Harbour under sail, pic attached. They got a talking to from the Victoria harbour patrol and I doubt it'll happen again. It's extremely unlikely to affect their finish as the official rules basically say "if you do it and get caught, it's on you when the Mounties take you to Canadian jail, but we're not going to enforce it". Not quite in the spirit of the race though, I'd agree. They actually didn't have their paddlewheel mounted at all when they finished in Victoria, not sure if it was removed after the Port Townsend start or if the crazy waves were threatening it. They had a backup set of oars but I can't recall if they had to use them at all. There was plenty of wind to push even a bare hull around that day, honestly.

20220613_093347.jpg

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
Looks to me like they were being prudent mariners and maintaining control of their vessel. Laws be damned.

Should future entries be required to demonstrate the ability to make way and maneuver by crew power alone?
Not my call.

Airwick

Victoria, BC
I just dont understand how these Corsairs arent shredding more monohulls (P&W excluded)? Race tracker showing them going roughly the same speeds with maybe a few clicks of pace here and there.... Gun shy? Over loaded? Choosing routes that have them tacking every 3 minutes?
Plenty of arm chair quarterbacking on my part, but they should be legging out in open water.
They are going upwind in fairly light stuff with 3 or 4 on board. Not sure what the 760 would rate but they looked heavily loaded and the sprint is just an F24 with a bit more sail area so not a rocket either...
If it's a bit choppy on top of that it's to be expected that at a ~35 mono will have speed on them.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
This. I have seen hard work and effort go down the pan towards the end of a long race enough times because of tiredness and fractious exhaustion. Of course the extra weight is a penalty, but it invariably pays for itself one way or another.

An autohelm won’t ease the main in a gust, doesn’t see logs, other boats, problems or wind shifts better than a third crew member.
Yes fatigue is real and I am particularly concerned about that given the hazards on this course…probably why I haven’t actually done it yet! ;-)

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
Hat's off to Pure and Wild. It took balls to be anywhere near land in that boat with no engine. They were super lucky to not have a Westerly when leaving Victoria. They could have had really good pedal drives and still had trouble getting out. I had to pedal like a mofo both times I did the race to get out. Broderna was hoisting sail behind me one of those times and I said something and they chewed me out. Grrr.
The only multihulls left in the race are tiny and heavily loaded, so no surprise they aren't catching up. That being said, If Eric Pesty hadn't hit a log, I think he'd be the second place finisher, just like on the Victoria leg.
The Photo is just off Point Wilson, before the screecher came down, the jib got furled, and the main double reefed. Taken by Dieter Loibner. That G-32 goes upwind in a gale unbelievably well.
image.png

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
On why "big" monos beat the trimarans...its the conditions; if its light the trimarans (and M32 and G32) will go like hell... but in the heavy conditions the forces on the boats and people are much bigger on the multis- and breaks them down when its a long race like this. Also few people vs a good crew usually on the monos. And also the trimarans are loaded up too much in many cases. I also think the outside route will win most of the years...a capable boat will di that rather easy - and you need luck to be faster on the inland route.