Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Is Vegemite closing on FL?

1655936088083.png

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Interesting route that Fashionably Late seems to be taking, to the east of Duke Island? I see no advantage it it. Or is this just a long tack?
They seem to prefer to take a more scenic route….. or maybe the water will be flatter and easier to take shelter if they need to when the forecast rough stuff starts?

Go the Vegemites!

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
They seem to prefer to take a more scenic route….. or maybe the water will be flatter and easier to take shelter if they need to when the forecast rough stuff starts?

Go the Vegemites!
Actually, that course seems to be working out well for FL even though it initially looked slow.

They have gained back about 8 miles from Elsewhere - but too little too late. It was a tall order to overtake Elsewhere at this stage.

They have legged out on VV in the last while and have double the VMG at this point. VV came close to overtaking them a few hours ago but seem to have hit a light patch. Could still be a close battle between the two.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I wonder if any boat has registered as high a VMG as FL did a couple of minutes ago...32.5kts!! o_O
Maybe if a boat pings mid tack a divisor in the VMG calculation approaches zero? IDK. Anyone know why this would happen? Because she is now back to a reasonable 5.9 kts VMG.

1655945096873.png

Last edited:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Sweet!!!

Dumb question here but, there's a lot of bare feet and one of the P&W guys was barefoot too. Is that pretty normal?

Last edited:

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Fashionably late sailed the proper course through Lama Pass to the waypoint at Bella Bella and now have no options other that to deviate from Elsewhere’s course. Bummer but true.
So are you saying that Elsewhere did not sail the proper course? I think they did, per an accepted course in a prior race and per the R2AK response to this question. In my opinion it's pretty crappy to claim otherwise at this point. If the race rules were unclear on the proper course then the blame lies with the R2AK rules, not with Elsewhere.

In that case I would be interested in Wayne's reasoning here.
Sure no problem. Several of us asked for clarification of that waypoint before the first race as “Either side of Hunter Island“ was not the original wording. The question was “ Do we have to sail the entire length of Lama Pass?“ The wording was then changed to allow us to enter Lama Pass from the west. It’s pretty clear that if sailing South to North through Lama Pass was not the intent, Lama Pass would not be mentioned. We all know where Bella Bella is. If there is an actual “rounding” mark there I am not aware of it. I love this race for it’s lack of rules and have completed it twice at the pointy end of the fleet, but I’m not sure I think turning a blind eye to the few rules that are there is the right thing to do. Not trying to be a Dick here. While we are at it, I’m also not sure that removing a human powered propulsion system to enhance performance and sailing into Victoria inner harbour is in the spirit of the race either. I know that had zero impact on the end result but still……………….

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Sure no problem. [... explanation of Proper Course comment ...]
Thank you, I appreciate the explanation.

I've not done the R2AK, nor have I participated in any pre-race discussions, so these comments come from an outsider. But it sounds like the difference is between "this is how many of us think it should be" and what the rules actually say. And in the case of the Lama Pass issue, the de facto interpretation by the R2AK-- based on a previous passage, the R2AK answer to my emailed question about Elsewhere's route, and the acceptance of the Elsewhere finish.

It seems to me that the rules should be more explicit on this matter, but that Elsewhere did sail a Proper Course. I don't like to see a race team's efforts being unfairly tarnished. And no, I don't know the Elsewhere crew, although I have seen the boat in Friday Harbor.

And regarding sailing in Victoria Bay, the rules explicitly allow this, even if Canada doesn't: "Don’t come crying to us if you get passed by a team who sailed and didn’t get caught".

So, in neither case was a blind eye turned to the rules.