R2AK 2022

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Gotta disagree on this one. Look at what Team Elsewhere did - they had an internal two person bike powered setup, so they could pedal inside. The bigger the boat gets, the more inside room for pedal stations and crew. Plenty of room for an internal 4 person pedal team on that Riptide 44. I imagine they would move along smartly and in comfort. Ok maybe not easy, but certainly not impossible.
I’d did say “hard if not impossible”. The bigger (windage), the heavier the boat, the harder then, the more expensive, it is to do. I do like the idea of an internal pedal set up though.

Mad Dog got towed out to the PT start line in 2016, P&W looks like they sailed at least part of the way out of Victoria this year. Eventually, one year, there will be a 25- 30 knot South Westerly blowing into the Victoria start for a couple of days.

Maybe an exAC72 cat? All the pedal stations are already built in? Or imagine 50/50 with 2 or 3 in line pedal stations in each hull!

C82027CB-BB2A-402F-88A9-06DBA125C5B9.jpeg

shebeen

Super Anarchist
So the elephant in the room. Should there be a separate inside and outside race prize, and two sets of steak knives? Or a set of steak knives and a chip'n'dip?

The rules are simple. RaceBoss ok'd the Elsewhere route this year so I'm really not sure why the debate continues.
but steak knives is an interesting debate now, because the inside/outside effectively introduces a new division/class.

maybe -
*R10k cash goes to linehonours no matter what.
*steak knives goes to first boat who did the opposite route to winner.

but there could be a much more convoluted and exciting way to do this, sort of team racing up the top10.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I’d did say “hard if not impossible”. The bigger (windage), the heavier the boat, the harder then, the more expensive, it is to do. I do like the idea of an internal pedal set up though.

Mad Dog got towed out to the PT start line in 2016, P&W looks like they sailed at least part of the way out of Victoria this year. Eventually, one year, there will be a 25- 30 knot South Westerly blowing into the Victoria start for a couple of days.

Maybe an exAC72 cat? All the pedal stations are already built in? Or imagine 50/50 with 2 or 3 in line pedal stations in each hull!

That's a load of BS, we didn't get a tow out to the startline in PT. I don't understand why you are trying to belittle the efforts we made or those of all the other teams that came to actually try and win. It is a race after all.

On the morning of the PT start, Randy and Colin were on the pedals going out and I was steering. When we cleared the breakwater I had to make a sudden duck to port to avoid a bunch of spastic spectator boats that were blocking our way, and then we had a bloodthirsty helicopter start to blast us with down wash from a insanely dangerous altitude.

I know the depth runs out quickly where we were headed so I waved over to Jan and Skip in the photo boat and they came around to nudge our bow over so we were on port tack. Then we got the main up by the ferry dock away from the madness.

Anyways show me in the rules about getting to the line in before the race starts. Especially when you're being hunted by a maniac in a helicopter.

(Below photo is of the murderous Helo pilot literally blocking the harbor mouth as we were all trying to get out)

1656060116762.png

(Below photo is leaving PT basin just before the attempted murder/suicide of the earlier mentioned helo pilot)
1656058639308.jpeg

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Ian.

No one and especially me is trying to belittle you or the Mad Dog team. If you had read enough of my posts, here and over the years, you would know otherwise.

My comments were based on a distinct recollection of Randy‘s comments sometime after Mad Dog’s 2016 triumph. If my recollection is faulty, it can be sometimes, I sincerely apologise.

Last edited:

Karstan

Looks like there's potentially a pretty good race brewing for solo finisher. Still quite a ways to go, but Fix oder Nix and Interstice appear to be the top two solo teams at the moment and are only 5nms from each other.

1656087797577.png

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Looks like there's potentially a pretty good race brewing for solo finisher. Still quite a ways to go, but Fix oder Nix and Interstice appear to be the top two solo teams at the moment and are only 5nms from each other.
Did Fix oder Nix lose a crewmember? The team sheet shows them as a doublehander.

Boathavn

Hof & Gammel Dansk - Skål !
so whatever happened to Team Sail Like a Girl?
Good question. They were in the slip across from me for about a month last June. Had work parties of a dozen or so most weekends. They liked the bachelor pad music that wafted over from my side. I loaned them tools.

They left to do a local event and never came back. No sponsor this year? They certainly had the experience, crew and equipment.

Tacoma Mud Flats

Have star, will steer by
Sail Like a Girl did WA360 last June (2021). Their Facebook page mentions some talks and get-togethers for early in 2022. Apparently, a few members were on the safety boat at the start of R2AK.

Curious if the non-profit side will continue. They did other valuable community sailing projects for women as well.

1656137794928.png

Last edited:

david r

Anarchist
pond
Kind of funny that these 2 boats are neck and neck with around 25 miles to go. i think they might be reaching into the finish
I wonder if they will count the Santa 20 as a 20 footer considering it's listed at 20.2 feet long. It seems to be about the same speed as the longer "rho your boat" next to it.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist

View attachment 524933
I think that Interstice and Bangarang are the only solo teams left in the competition. Interstice has arrived at Bella Bella and has a 50 mile lead at the moment.

Fix Oder Nix are definitely double handed.