R2AK 2023 CATAMARAN PARTNERSHIP

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Dear Foredeck, there was certainly never any R33 that didn't start and live with a squaretop main. Asserting that your friend did something new or different is nonsensical. All of them always had a squaretop main, some had taller masts, a few were widened or had different style beams but the idea of an R33 with a pinhead main is blasphemous and degenerate.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Crap! Has it really been almost 20+/- years since I went and visited Randy to talk about the 33 and even the almost 45’er?? Those boats were/are certainly inspiring and breathtaking to consider sailing. Alas, I’m a lazy sailer, flying a hull and with hands and fingers twitching on the main sheet all the time are NOT relaxing—but it’s fun for an hour or two! My several years of chafed knees and ankles scurrying across netting on Hobies in Hawaii sorta cured me of that level of sailing.

But…it does bring a wistful thought or two to mind….

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
Couldn’t agree more, I really don’t like the outside being and option as it changes what the R2AK is all about which is the challenge of the

Couldn’t agree more, I really don’t like the outside being and option as it changes what the R2AK is all about which is the challenge of the inside passage.
And taking a 3000lb boat, with a 48ft stick offshore isn't a challenge? Besides , racing against logs 3 times would be crazy

40Plus

PNW
And taking a 3000lb boat, with a 48ft stick offshore isn't a challenge? Besides , racing against logs 3 times would be crazy
Arguably it could be said less challenging, less current, easier navigation ,no tidal gates, less emphasis on the human powered element. The inside is a great great equalizer which can certainly attest to. With the outside option it is just another offshore race with only a few boats able to participate.

Having sailed in Hecate and Dixon Entrance in 35knt it is as challenging as sailing offshore so there is still the “offshore” element involved.

And yup, we maybe crazy enough to do it three times against logs but not crazy enough to just keep buying boats and having them sit idle.

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
30237_1434521947486_7172884_n.jpg

Not always idle

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Does anybody think the current race record could be broken by going outside on an extremely fast boat? I'm guessing not. The macho men on the Marstrom powered through some very rough conditions to set the record. That boat is waaaaay faster but waaaaay less comfortable than an R33. In the right hands the narrower R33 is possibly a bit faster than a widened version but I'd probably prefer the wider one to minimize the "2 a.m. terror factor" on the R2AK course. It should be fairly easy to "human power" one. With the right crew and conditions an R33 could certainly win the race and there's no reason a good multi won't beat ANY mono that can be human powered. This year a fast mono with the highest level of sailors chose a perfect course and the faster multis got wiped out.

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
If phrf a m32 was -100, and a r33 was -40, then the m32 would owe 750 minutes, 12,5 hours, the outside is easily that much quicker. To fine tune the numbers, I think I can sail a r33 closer to -60. The outside IS about the weather.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Top end on M32 is much higher than R33. -100 seems like a relatively easy rating for M32 but imho the conditions are much more critical on M32. If it is allowed to run rampant it will smoke the R33. I can't reliably remember what the ORCA rating was for the Seacart, R33s and the one time the M32 did Santa Barbara to King Harbor. It would be interesting to compare. I did that race many times on R33s, once on a Seacart and various other multis and I saw firsthand how the M32 destroyed the fleet, to the point that some people foolishly questioned whether they even sailed the proper course. How many extra miles is the outside R2AK?

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
How many extra miles is the outside R2AK?
The outside is about 30 miles further - similar to what you could sail in the time other boats are waiting for current at Seymour Narrows.

Not sure if the M32 had to wait much at Seymour Narrows, but if they didn’t they saved about 30 miles that would be hard to make up on the outside, unless one showed up with a really fast boat and had ideal conditions.

I think it’s going to take something like a Formula 40, Extreme 40 or something faster with excellent conditions to beat Mad Dog’s record.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
In my humble opinion, give the inside vs. outside routes a few years to establish advantage/disadvantage patterns.
Go from there.

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
The outside is about 30 miles further - similar to what you could sail in the time other boats are waiting for current at Seymour Narrows.

Not sure if the M32 had to wait much at Seymour Narrows, but if they didn’t they saved about 30 miles that would be hard to make up on the outside, unless one showed up with a really fast boat and had ideal conditions.

I think it’s going to take something like a Formula 40, Extreme 40 or something faster with excellent conditions to beat Mad Dog’s record

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
If you need a f40 to beat the record who cares? Bringing a bigger gun is not the goal, I believe the wind conditions could be the advantage , minus the offshore risk if it gets nasty. Randy's team and strategy was over the top, now the boat to beat. Nice Pair still beat their time to Victoria by 2 minutes, and looking forward to the dispute, remember the race started earlier the first hear.

Mad dogs record to Victoria was; Three hours and 50 minutes later they rang the bell and set the new record for stage one, I get to call bs

Screenshot_20220709-121029_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Seems like the race has been won a few times by boats that aren't really that fast. The "luck" factor plays a huge role in this event. I'm pretty sure Malolo is a perfect example of a truly fast boat with a very good crew that just got unlucky. It would be easy to speculate on what might have been if they would have headed outside with the monos. It's kind of great that this event is so hard to handicap, right?

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam

I think it’s going to take something like a Formula 40, Extreme 40 or something faster with excellent conditions to beat Mad Dog’s record.

An x40 is not faster than the m32 to be clear. An f40 is even slower.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Top end on M32 is much higher than R33. -100 seems like a relatively easy rating for M32 but imho the conditions are much more critical on M32. If it is allowed to run rampant it will smoke the R33. I can't reliably remember what the ORCA rating was for the Seacart, R33s and the one time the M32 did Santa Barbara to King Harbor. It would be interesting to compare. I did that race many times on R33s, once on a Seacart and various other multis and I saw firsthand how the M32 destroyed the fleet, to the point that some people foolishly questioned whether they even sailed the proper course. How many extra miles is the outside R2AK?

We actually had a formal protest accusing us of just skipping Anacapa island by some wankers on an old tp52. Of course, we had GPS tracks not to mention the commodore on his sweet grandbanks who waved us by as we bore off around the island. Randy ended up with a pretty cool cupcake stand for the effort at least.