R2AK 2023 CATAMARAN PARTNERSHIP

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
You guys was shmokin when you turned off the beach and started reaching across the channel.
Haha yeah, I think we spent half an hour or so after the start going the wrong way in no wind before we got it together and zipped out of there. That race was the first clue for me and maybe also Randy that r2ak could be doable with the red rocket.

I really have to agree with the others about the outside course. It's an idea that seems like it takes away from the small boat, nature as a equalizer original format of the race. The only people taking the outside route will be likely larger more expensive boats that don't need the help anyway. I love your collection, Multihuler, but for me at least the spirit is all about the small boats against the odds. I have immense respect for both of the two woman rowing teams at the tail end of this year's race, as well as Lillian, who while she didn't finish is hard-core as hell.

I personally think that R2AK isn't about winning, it's about racing beautifully.

A little tough to explain what I mean by that, maybe

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Offshore? I hope the m32 has a full proof righting system and carry a spare mast.
What does this mean? What are you getting at? Do you mean foolproof?

I'm not sure if you're burning a bit of the devil's lettuce but I think we are on way separate wavelengths to go into whatever strange ideas you seem to have.

Good luck with the race, I really do hope someone can break our record(inside course) so we have some motivation to come back and try it all again with a modified TF10 maybe...

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Interesting x-factor: the faster the boat the more disastrous a log strike. Most obvious example is anything that foils. Most foiling boats being virtually useless when foil disappears.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
An x40 is not faster than the m32 to be clear. An f40 is even slower.
Normally yes, but the outside route requires Category 1 safety gear - wouldn’t the bigger boats carry the extra weight a bit better?

The turboed Formula 40 Dragonfly did the VanIsle360 and Swiftsure numerous times carrying said gear and still sailed well.

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
What does this mean? What are you getting at? Do you mean foolproof?

I'm not sure if you're burning a bit of the devil's lettuce but I think we are on way separate wavelengths to go into whatever strange ideas you seem to have.

Good luck with the race, I really do hope someone can break our record(inside course) so we have some motivation to come back and try it all again with a modified TF10 maybe...
A modified tf10 ?, coolest tri ever, how many had beam problems ? Foiling and deadheads = carnage, the crowds would love it!

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
I really have to agree with the others about the outside course. It's an idea that seems like it takes away from the small boat, nature as a equalizer original format of the race. The only people taking the outside route will be likely larger more expensive boats that don't need the help anyway.
There is nothing "equal" about sailboats vs. paddlers and nothing equal about "big sailboats" vs. sailing canoes/kayaks.

It would be great, we can all put $10 each in a pool, to see how long it takes the shear off.
Is that supposed to be funny? Then maybe you would get a chuckle if we created a pool to guess how long before your Reynolds 33 capsizes and must be abandoned when the Coast Guard rescues you. Hah-hah.

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
If you noticed, it was a joke to bring a tf10 to the r2ak in the first place, there are sooo many deadheads it is a wonder that any boats finish at all.
If you are amused If I flip my r33, so be it, but probably unlikely, so I wouldn't waste your money

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
I agree with outside route - ruining the race... The R33 isnt as fast as Malolo - but it can probably stand logs better - with M32 racks it would be even faster. Nice Pair was my pick in the 2015 race - the M32 of c - but I didnt think it would make it all the way. But I see from a pic here there was 6 people on? Too many - 3 is the right number. The TRT1200 is a bigger more solid an equal if not faster boat - easy operated by 3 - can do both routes. Think it could take a log or two...

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
One more thing - when Malolo went out - it was in front - and had a very significant lead on the others that went inside. If they would hit the gate in the Narrows - I think they would hav had a race for the money. So it isnt sure the outside was the fastest - but overall it seems so. Could Malolo go outside - sure - but the chance of braking the boat was clear - but there was big risks inside too - but much safer if it happend. Maybe to ocean seas on the outside route is better to cope with than the nasty chop inside at times. And then its the weather - if you get good angels on the outside route it can be sailed very fast with the right boat - a multi. In very light conditions a M32 og a tri like Malolo would have a big advantage.

I 'get' that going outside can make a lotta sense in the pursuit of $10k. I just think it changes the nature of the race and the 'experience of R2AK-ing'. Certainly puts a higher value on larger and more conventional choices of craft. Going outside means you really haven't done an R2AK as it should be done.(but, obviously, you might even 'win')
Felt to me that being one of only 6 boats to make it across the Strait of Juan de Fuca with 25KTS westerlies blowing into a 13-year king ebb tide on proving day, tacking upwind while fighting a flood tide out of Victoria, repairing our rudder in Ucluelet while losing 12 hours, battling 25 gusting 35 headwinds for 2 days while rounding Cape Scott and crossing the infamous Dixon Entrance in a storm was doing the R2AK. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Tkettner - You guys did an amazing job in very challenging conditions. Don’t want to take anything away from you on that! All I’m saying is that if the outside route becomes THE favored route, the nature and aesthetic of the race will change

Tkettner - You guys did an amazing job in very challenging conditions. Don’t want to take anything away from you on that! All I’m saying is that if the outside route becomes THE favored route, the nature and aesthetic of the race will change
Yeah, totally agree. I think for one year, one race it was worth it to open up the outside option. Generated lots of buzz and debate before, during and after the race. Ten boats went through the offshore crew and equipment qualification, but obviously only 3 turned right. Should R2AK offer the outside option again? I'm not sure myself. The Soverel and FT could have mixed it up with the fleet pretty well on the inside and been competitive, but the Riptide wouldn't have been able to keep up on no wind days - couldn't move that big ship through the water with the dinky paddlewheel set-up they had. Should boats with that much waterline, that much carbon and that much water ballast even be in a race like the R2AK? Maybe, maybe not. The Aussies on their Cal 20 and the French on their Santana 20 may have the same question about the Soverel 33 and the FT 10m.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
Before everybody assumes that the outside route is always going to be faster, it's interesting to consider that the outside route taken by Pure & Wild's Dark Star "only" resulted in the fifth fasted finish time ever (4d 4h 32m).

Boats that finished faster on the inside route include Mad Dog's M32 (2016 3d 20h 13m), Pure & Wild's 8.5m Custom Trimaran (2017 4d 3h 5m), Big Broderna's F-31R (2017 4d 3h 11m), and the Skiff Sailing Foundation's Schock 40 (2019 4d 3h 56m).

Even more interesting is that the latter three of these boats all rate slower than Dark Star (PHRF-NW). Not that they necessarily sailed in their PHRF-rated configurations, but the fact that the Schock 40 (rated at 9) could beat Dark Star (rated at -33) up the inside does not make it a no-brainer for me.

Granted, the first day this year was particularly light, and if Dark Star had more typical wind they conceivably could have broken the 4 day barrier like Mad Dog, but we'll have to wait for next year...

Latest posts