Race Day 2

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Thanks to Hall Marine Group, we are completely pimped out today in a 44-foot Sea Ray. It's like a P.Diddy video without all the girls, but we do have Mer, Katie, and a cute photog from the Charleston Mercury aboard. It should make posting a LOT easier, if the wind ever fills in.

At the moment, it's less than five knots from the Southeast, but we all expect it to fill in more or less from the South. According to Category 5, who's pretty damned good at this, it should be a decent day of racing today, with the nasties rolling in around 4 PM or later. Lightning show tonight, and maybe...maybe a bit less than 25 sustained tomorrow. It could be 20, but it could be 40, apparently, so today might be the end of the regatta.

Thanks to Hall Marine Group, we are completely pimped out today in a 44-foot Sea Ray. It's like a P.Diddy video without all the girls, but we do have Mer, Katie, and a cute photog from the Charleston Mercury aboard. It should make posting a LOT easier, if the wind ever fills in.
At the moment, it's less than five knots from the Southeast, but we all expect it to fill in more or less from the South. According to Category 5, who's pretty damned good at this, it should be a decent day of racing today, with the nasties rolling in around 4 PM or later. Lightning show tonight, and maybe...maybe a bit less than 25 sustained tomorrow. It could be 20, but it could be 40, apparently, so today might be the end of the regatta.
Clean:

Which course are you on? (Lat/Lon would be helpful).

The wind should have dropped to 4-6 and moved right from 30 minutes ago...(Transitional period)

OVER

MR.CLEAN

Not here
32D 40.91M N

07D 48.49M W

Thanks Mark. Just heard the Anarchy flag start flapping a bit - fingers crossed!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Luiz just called in, and said that the harbor course looks like it's starting. We might get a call from one of the J/24 guys in between races. We might take off if we get nothing in a few more minutes.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We met a bunch of great guys last night - Justin and Katie on J/35 Pagan - and I love what they told us the name stands for: "People Against Goodness and Normalcy." sweet.

It looks like we might get a start soon.

Peacefrog

Super Anarchist
hey Clean, do you know which Melges the Afro Canadian is sailing on? He is sailing on the same boat as Justin Hood, just can't remember with who.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
hey Clean, do you know which Melges the Afro Canadian is sailing on? He is sailing on the same boat as Justin Hood, just can't remember with who.
I'll see if I can find out bro. Dan Dickison is sailing on Vamoose, I think he used to be the editor of Sailing World. He was supposed to be doing the press releases, but I ended up doing them. Here, check out my office:

44fzcaw.jpg

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Wind is HERE! about 8 knots, from 120 degrees. They're getting the marks set now, expect a start in ten minutes or so.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Holy crap, the PHRF A class just started, and every boat was over early. General called them back. The Farr 36 Meridian is really good up there - squeezed out Decision and a couple of others, but all for naught.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Man, I wish I had this ride yesterday, we would have had some sick coverage. Lesson learned.

6 minutes for re-start.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Here's the sail trainer Harvey Gamage (sp?) coming into Charleston on their way to join the Maritime Festival next month. They've got 8 or 10 good tall ships coming to town, what a good time of year for it.

2qbsjf9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
That was a sweet-ass start! The M32 Vamoose won the pin and was flying, while roXanne was stuck on the wrong side of the RC boat, but 2 minutes later the right boats like roXanne look like gold. TP52 Decision had a mediocre start, with the Farr 36 and with Sister Golden Hair both giving her bad air, but she's gone now. I feel bad for the 120's in this breeze, it looks like not so much fun.

J/109's next.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
That was funny, Rush had a nice start, and Chicken came in on port, late, ducked everyone, and now is flying in the bigger pressure out to the right. 105's next.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Check it out - Convexity just slammed Savasana out at the boat. Not too much yelling - but Convex probably won the start with Masquerade just to leeward, Rum at Six next. Savasana was almost a minute late after having to do a circle to get back to the line. Brother Cowboy on Revelation out of Savannah was about 5 minutes late, but smiling and having a good time anyway. Pics are coming in a few minutes, and we're going to hang out here at the leeward gates to see if anything good happens.

Check it out - Convexity just slammed Savasana out at the boat. Not too much yelling - but Convex probably won the start with Masquerade just to leeward, Rum at Six next. Savasana was almost a minute late after having to do a circle to get back to the line. Brother Cowboy on Revelation out of Savannah was about 5 minutes late, but smiling and having a good time anyway. Pics are coming in a few minutes, and we're going to hang out here at the leeward gates to see if anything good happens.
Clean:

The adjusted wind pressures are now on target. Three reporting stations just to your west now confirm 16mph from 170.

Winds will be on the increase with a persistent right shift until 170-180 on your course for the balance of the afternoon.

The front that is approaching is about to pick up gulf moisture and by 1500HRS this afternoon I expect watches and warnings for T-storms and possible tornados across the lower Mississippi valley, western Florida, Western SC and GA.

A nice convective burst is now happening over lower central Mississippi.

Last edited by a moderator: