Race Day 2

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Here's the actual official statement by the RC:

"The weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow indicates severe weather and may cause cancellation of Sunday's racing.

If you elect to haul your boat this afternoon, Charleston Yacht Club on station for your hoist. The Sailing Instructions are being amended to allow for overnight haulout. This is for information only."

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
Here's the actual official statement by the RC:
"The weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow indicates severe weather and may cause cancellation of Sunday's racing.

If you elect to haul your boat this afternoon, Charleston Yacht Club on station for your hoist. The Sailing Instructions are being amended to allow for overnight haulout. This is for information only."

Thanks, Alan, for your efforts. Hope that tonight and tomorrow aren't as bad as the weather folk are predicting.

What about the magazines.....I've got a wedding in three weeks (not mine, I'm working on 45 years this Sept), my daughter's. Need to clear off the porch.

Cheers,

MikeR

hhn92

Super Anarchist
Tampa Bay Fla
It is a shame we have tooooo many forums...........................................................

As long as they are more like this, I say bring 'em on.

DryArmour

Severe weather now imminent in Charleston:

TONADO WARNING now posted to the WSW and North of the city.

Tornado Warning

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC

210 AM EDT SUN APR 15 2007

SCC015-150620-

/O.EXP.KCHS.TO.W.0006.000000T0000Z-070415T0615Z/

BERKELEY SC-

...THE TORNADO WARNING FOR BERKELEY COUNTY WILL EXPIRE AT 215 AM

EDT...

AT 210 AM EDT...RADAR INDICATED THAT THE TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM WHICH

PROMPTED THE WARNING HAD MOVED OUT OF THE WARNED AREA...THUS THE

TORNADO WARNING BEEN ALLOWED TO EXPIRE.

TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER ONLY...PLEASE CONTACT THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE IN CHARLESTON TOLL FREE AT 1-888-383-2024 OR EMAIL YOUR

REPORTS TO [email protected]

LAT...LON 3341 8000 3329 7984 3347 7962 3363 7989

$$

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Severe Weather Statement

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC

SCC015-150620-

/O.EXP.KCHS.TO.W.0006.000000T0000Z-070415T0615Z/

BERKELEY SC-

...THE TORNADO WARNING FOR BERKELEY COUNTY WILL EXPIRE AT 215 AM

EDT...

AT 210 AM EDT...RADAR INDICATED THAT THE TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM WHICH

PROMPTED THE WARNING HAD MOVED OUT OF THE WARNED AREA...THUS THE

TORNADO WARNING BEEN ALLOWED TO EXPIRE.

TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER ONLY...PLEASE CONTACT THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE IN CHARLESTON TOLL FREE AT 1-888-383-2024 OR EMAIL YOUR

REPORTS TO [email protected]

LAT...LON 3341 8000 3329 7984 3347 7962 3363 7989

$$

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 145

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

205 AM EDT SUN APR 15 2007

TORNADO WATCH 145 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 AM EDT FOR THE

FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

AMZ250-252-254-256-330-350-352-151300-

/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0145.070415T0605Z-070415T1300Z/

CW

. ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS INCLUDED ARE

COASTAL WATERS FROM SURF CITY TO CAPE FEAR NC OUT 20 NM

COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE FEAR NC TO LITTLE RIVER INLET SC OUT 20

NM

COASTAL WATERS FROM LITTLE RIVER INLET TO MURRELLS INLET SC OUT

20 NM

COASTAL WATERS FROM MURRELLS INLET TO SOUTH SANTEE RIVER SC OUT

20 NM

CHARLESTON HARBOR

COASTAL WATERS FROM SOUTH SANTEE RIVER TO EDISTO BEACH SC OUT 20

NM

COASTAL WATERS FROM EDISTO BEACH SC TO SAVANNAH GA OUT 20 NM

$$

ATTN...WFO...CAE...CHS...ILM...

CLX_N0R_Legend_0.gif

wwacharleston.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

L Z

Reporters
Well, let's see... the preliminary results with the "throw-outs" are up.

On the weather front, I (we) have a bunch to thank Mark Michaelsen (DryArmour / Castegory5) for all the time, help and support he has given me/us this weekend (and every other time we/I asked him for weather when working at an event!). We've been doing the phone/net/reports since 8AM and everything that has been said so far, is materializing.

It is now 2:46AM and the light show has started. Blowing like stink! Brad Van Liew and the Race Organization have done a great job in amending the SI based on the pending weather. Their vision is not only to provide the best racing but also to ensure that everyone and their boats are safe. They have gone as far as making all of the arrangements with Charleston Boat Works to have boats hauled out this evening if they (owner) chose to do so.

All competitors were notified of the impending weather and given their options (SI amendment notification) immediately after finishing race 6 and once their were on shore, they were notifies again during dinner. It is going to be a long night and we'll probably be up for most of it making sure the boats are OK.

Morning will tell and a call will be made then.

Gotta tell you... it's my first time at Charleston Race Week and if you haven't done this event before, you ought to put it in your agenda for next year. One of the best venues, organization, racing and everything you can ask for. BTW, the OA booked the entire resort for the event and we are still wondering how they accepted to host us in the first place. This is an awesome place and the management has gone way and above their means to cater to us and make us feel at home. I'm sure we'll be back with a larger group than this year!

Time to go to bed as I'm sure I'll be getting a wake up call in about an hour to go check on the boats.

Cheers.

More in the morning.

DryArmour

April 15, 2007: Notice Sunday racing has been canceled due to weather conditions.
Likely a good call. There is tornadic activity to the SW (moving NE) and a line of severe thunderstorms yet to cross the race area. (Should do so in the next few hours)

The low pressure system creating this situation will develop in to a peppy storm beginning now through tomorrow morning with winds sharply on the increase over the next six hours in the coastal waters.

Tough call for the RC but a good call in the interest of safety...

T

Time...

Well, let's see... the preliminary results with the "throw-outs" are up.
On the weather front, I (we) have a bunch to thank Mark Michaelsen (DryArmour / Castegory5) for all the time, help and support he has given me/us this weekend (and every other time we/I asked him for weather when working at an event!). We've been doing the phone/net/reports since 8AM and everything that has been said so far, is materializing.

It is now 2:46AM and the light show has started. Blowing like stink! Brad Van Liew and the Race Organization have done a great job in amending the SI based on the pending weather. Their vision is not only to provide the best racing but also to ensure that everyone and their boats are safe. They have gone as far as making all of the arrangements with Charleston Boat Works to have boats hauled out this evening if they (owner) chose to do so.

All competitors were notified of the impending weather and given their options (SI amendment notification) immediately after finishing race 6 and once their were on shore, they were notifies again during dinner. It is going to be a long night and we'll probably be up for most of it making sure the boats are OK.

Morning will tell and a call will be made then.

Gotta tell you... it's my first time at Charleston Race Week and if you haven't done this event before, you ought to put it in your agenda for next year. One of the best venues, organization, racing and everything you can ask for. BTW, the OA booked the entire resort for the event and we are still wondering how they accepted to host us in the first place. This is an awesome place and the management has gone way and above their means to cater to us and make us feel at home. I'm sure we'll be back with a larger group than this year!

Time to go to bed as I'm sure I'll be getting a wake up call in about an hour to go check on the boats.

Cheers.

More in the morning.
Congratulations to Meagan and Brad and a host of Volunteers who pulled off a GREAT party in Mt Pleasant. I saw a few volunteers who obviously missed out on some sleep but still wore big grins. The race committees and judges did a tough job and made it seem easy from this racer's point of view.

Great competition even in the PHRF non-spinnaker class where some boats didn't make the time limit in a few races. It was great fun to Port Tack the fleet at the start in 3 of 6 races. Thanks for the memories, we will remember taking our 150 rating around the windward mark ahead of Bubba's 115 until we get to do it again next year. :D

1sailor

Super Anarchist
hey Clean, do you know which Melges the Afro Canadian is sailing on? He is sailing on the same boat as Justin Hood, just can't remember with who.

PF--

Juggy and Curtis were sailing a Melgi called Riot Act. J-Ho is not home yet. OR, if he is he at least didn't show up for work today.

Perhaps he found some new talent in Charlelston and decided to stay ?

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Dear Clean,

thanks for the great shots and some of the comments.

'

Yvonne.com and Rush split at the leeward mark, just after Loose Fish (J/120) totally screwed the Hendo Minor Threat. MT had overlap by a ton and Loose Fish called out "Don't go in there."

Really crappy move by LF. '

=============================

Let us go back and tell me why I did wrong in Shutting out another boat in our class? You can't just go in there.

I am always willing to learn. so, Learn Me.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Dear Clean,thanks for the great shots and some of the comments.

'

Yvonne.com and Rush split at the leeward mark, just after Loose Fish (J/120) totally screwed the Hendo Minor Threat. MT had overlap by a ton and Loose Fish called out "Don't go in there."

Really crappy move by LF. '

=============================

Let us go back and tell me why I did wrong in Shutting out another boat in our class? You can't just go in there.

I am always willing to learn. so, Learn Me.
No worries - I always call 'em like I see 'em, and I was in a great position to see MT overlapped with you for at least 5 BL's before the mark. MT's bow was at your stern, which meant that his entire bowsprit was overlapped with you. I'd have protested and had you tossed. Overlap is often a sujective thing when you're aboard, but from our angle we could see it with the utmost clarity. I'll fire up Mer's computer later, I think I've got pics of the rounding so you can see what I'm talking about.

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
oh, I know remember, you have a good shot of it too. We were not overlapped at 2 boat lengths. we did our takedown early and decelerated. they kept the chute up and kept the speed.

Is not the 'onus' on overtaking boats to prove an overlap? or is onus not used anymore ... ; )

They still had no rights.. says me.

Sail Safe!

US32Wet

Second top mark for the melges:
1) Fu

20 Blur

3) Gill

4) Riot Act

5) MMallow

6) Firewater

7) Spray

8) Catawampas

9) Cre8tive juice

10) Sick puppy

11) Screaming Mimi

12) Tango

13) Big sky

Strangely, Bill Blank on Brilliant was second to last at that one - he was really fast yesterday. Maybe the co-owner is driving?
Same crew, we just made some changes to the rig we shouldn't have and didn't have the best day!

dbncsu

No worries - I always call 'em like I see 'em, and I was in a great position to see MT overlapped with you for at least 5 BL's before the mark. MT's bow was at your stern, which meant that his entire bowsprit was overlapped with you. I'd have protested and had you tossed. Overlap is often a sujective thing when you're aboard, but from our angle we could see it with the utmost clarity. I'll fire up Mer's computer later, I think I've got pics of the rounding so you can see what I'm talking about.
Let's see the pics.