RaceQs

us7070

Super Anarchist
what we, or at least i, expected to hear in response was that you were sailing a shorter distance because you were playing the shifts correctly. for boats that tack and gybe through approximately the same angles, that is the way to get big differences in the distance sailed.
I have been racing for about 10 years and in all those years we had one day with shifty winds. We did play the shifts better that day and were first to finish beating a J-105 with my old wood boat that was owed over a minute a mile. We get a persistent shift and you need to play that correctly but not the oscillating shifts we had that day. Typically you just tack and go to the finish line with no shifts to play. What I was talking about was the nice readouts in RaceQs that show you how steady of a track you are holding. It is a nice feature and like I said, the CEO of RaceQs said he can look at any given race and from that readout tell who won. I have not checked that out but he said my tracks looked good.

i just have trouble imagining that your opponents are such bad sailors that they can't sail their boat in a straight line

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
what we, or at least i, expected to hear in response was that you were sailing a shorter distance because you were playing the shifts correctly. for boats that tack and gybe through approximately the same angles, that is the way to get big differences in the distance sailed.
I have been racing for about 10 years and in all those years we had one day with shifty winds. We did play the shifts better that day and were first to finish beating a J-105 with my old wood boat that was owed over a minute a mile. We get a persistent shift and you need to play that correctly but not the oscillating shifts we had that day. Typically you just tack and go to the finish line with no shifts to play. What I was talking about was the nice readouts in RaceQs that show you how steady of a track you are holding. It is a nice feature and like I said, the CEO of RaceQs said he can look at any given race and from that readout tell who won. I have not checked that out but he said my tracks looked good.

i just have trouble imagining that your opponents are such bad sailors that they can't sail their boat in a straight line
I think you will have to try the app to understand what I am talking about. Nobody sails a boat in a perfectly straight line, certainly not me. It is all relative.

In the race here being discussed, see that the green boat is sailing a tighter line than the red boat. You can also see that the track line from the green boat is just three sections where the red boat's track is more of a dotted line.

Image1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i've used it a few times.. sucks lots of data on my S3 galaxy.. any ideas on how to reduce the data consumption?
I think if you turn off live stream off, that will help. Just upload track once you stopped recording.

I have an issue on how to break the timeline into segments so you can show many different races in one day. Can anyone help guide me properly on how to do that? I ended up making a seperate regatta for different races but I think that isn't correct.
After uploading click the icon that looks like a gear in the upper right corner. Hit edit. Scroll to the bottom, click "add segment". Trim the beginning and end of each race. Like this:

International 110 - District 3 Regatta - Day 1 : Race 2 Saturday, Aug 23, 2014

Sailboat: nomodoma

15 NM, 3h

Subscribe to Race To Win Sailing Podcast

Powered by raceQs.com

its pretty good but takes some committment on the part of whomever is firing it up on the boat to get it set up. If RACEQ is one here, they need to add a function so it turns on every race day at a certain time, not just one day at a time.
get an external USB battery then start tracking when you leave the dock. Set it the automatically turn off if the speed exceeds a certain limit (like in your car.) Edit your track to the period(s) of interest.

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA
Allen,

For the data to be meaningful, you would need a GPS time tag for each and every point. I'm sure that it's in the meta data. Sort it into a spreadsheet and observe how much interpolation is being performed between updates. You should be seeing fairly large jumps in acceleration and heading, much as I've seen on our -111 plots. You should also see some fairly observable jumps and/or swaps immediately after mark roundings and gybes. It seems to pcorrelate better through tacks than gybes in my experience. Its all dependent upon the data update rate and the size of the nearest neighbor correlation gate. I find RaceQs to be an interesting toy, but not much of an analytical tool without diving quite a lot deeper.

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
The guy who runs RaceQs races at our club every now and then. He is friends with one of the boats in our club. He gave us a presentation. It was really nice for me because I was winning most races and people were complaining about my handicap, how competitive I was, blah blah blah. With RaceQs you can see statistics on the different boats and what it showed was that although my boat was slower than all the others like my handicap would indicate, I sailed significantly less distance. The point is that they all shut up after than everyone suddenly played nice.

It has functions you can use to evaluate your boats performance. When you are sailing a straight line, the path is one color. When you can't hold your line, the path changes color. There is also a kind of radar screen that shows your heading and speed and if it is a tight cluster of points, you are sailing well. A large cluster is slow.

There is a race mode like you indicate where the RC sets it up. You can also go into an individual boat screen and you just see all the boats that were sailing where you were at the time you were sailing so you would see other fleets as well.

I track my races with a Qstarz rather than using a cell phone so I upload the track that night. Nobody can see me until I do that but I can track from when I get to the dock so I don't have to remember to turn my phone on or have it go dead before the race is over.
out of curiosity what boat do you have ?

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
The guy who runs RaceQs races at our club every now and then. He is friends with one of the boats in our club. He gave us a presentation. It was really nice for me because I was winning most races and people were complaining about my handicap, how competitive I was, blah blah blah. With RaceQs you can see statistics on the different boats and what it showed was that although my boat was slower than all the others like my handicap would indicate, I sailed significantly less distance. The point is that they all shut up after than everyone suddenly played nice.

It has functions you can use to evaluate your boats performance. When you are sailing a straight line, the path is one color. When you can't hold your line, the path changes color. There is also a kind of radar screen that shows your heading and speed and if it is a tight cluster of points, you are sailing well. A large cluster is slow.

There is a race mode like you indicate where the RC sets it up. You can also go into an individual boat screen and you just see all the boats that were sailing where you were at the time you were sailing so you would see other fleets as well.

I track my races with a Qstarz rather than using a cell phone so I upload the track that night. Nobody can see me until I do that but I can track from when I get to the dock so I don't have to remember to turn my phone on or have it go dead before the race is over.
out of curiosity what boat do you have ?
I have a Lapworth-36 built in 1956. It is wood.

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
JBSF said:
Thanks NS. I just downloaded the app. I may try it out during this weekend's race.

For those of you who have used it..... how critical is the placing it level with the horizontal hull in the center? I'm racing a OD sportboat that doesn't really have anywhere to stick an iPhone on the deck without knocking it overboard.
I think most people just keep the phone in their pocket. I mount my puck stationary and I think that gives better readings. It doesn't need to be horizontal or in the center but stable would be good although not required.

DaveK

Super Anarchist
i've used it a few times.. sucks lots of data on my S3 galaxy.. any ideas on how to reduce the data consumption?
I think if you turn off live stream off, that will help. Just upload track once you stopped recording.

I have an issue on how to break the timeline into segments so you can show many different races in one day. Can anyone help guide me properly on how to do that? I ended up making a seperate regatta for different races but I think that isn't correct.
After uploading click the icon that looks like a gear in the upper right corner. Hit edit. Scroll to the bottom, click "add segment". Trim the beginning and end of each race. Like this:

International 110 - District 3 Regatta - Day 1 : Race 2Saturday, Aug 23, 2014

Sailboat: nomodoma

15 NM, 3h

Subscribe to Race To Win Sailing Podcast